"One Tablet Per Child" - Ministry to seek Bt800m in damages

webfact

IMO, the cancelled contract is in sync with all the NACC probes. Definitely something seedy happening with the company. PT just got cold feet and know that the tablet will be the next thing they will go after they decided to scrap the deal...coincidentally the same time the G-G got scrapped.

I am not sure if money was already given to the company. Especially, securing a contract as large as this would require a large deposit up front. Most business people are aware that before making anything, you would require a deposit of sort. I would say, they may have agreed with a large deposit of 50% or more. They would be stupid to use your own money to procure raw goods for producing the product. But how they said that it has not been paid for is the key word. Sure technically as long as the product does not change hands, it's not "paid" for. But money has already been transacted in term of advance deposit. Now it's a matter of getting the money back from the bankrupted company. And good luck with that! But I think the Thai counter part that is suppose to oversee the contract is lying about the whole thing.

And PT better be careful how they play the Chinese card. If you get the Chinese company involved with some kind of corruption investigation, it's not going to be pretty. Then the Chinese government is not going to take this claim lightly that a Chinese company can't deliver the 800,000 unit as promised and decide to go bankrupt. How can they go bankrupt, the contract is secured for a sweet 800,000 units from the Government of Thailand. How silly that would look like if words got out that Chinese are not able to keep their words. I think PT may have dug themselves into a deeper hole with involving the Chinese.