Thailand is 4th in liquor drinking per capita: Euromonitor International

webfact

Thailand is 4th in liquor drinking
By Coconuts Bangkok

shotglass.jpg

Photo: Peter Hoang

BANGKOK: -- If we all drink just one more shot of liquor each week, we could win the bronze medal for booze consumption for Thailand.

That said, placing No. 4 in per capita liquor consumption behind South Korea, Russia and the Philippines ain't too shabby.

According to data collected by Euromonitor International, consumers of drinking age consume the equivalent of 4.5 shots of liquor on average, each week. That's far behind South Korea's 13.7 shots, but no one else comes close to that. Even the notorious Russians only manage 6.3 shots, according to the data, while Filipinos down about 5.4 shots. Japan is fifth at 4.4. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/07/thailand-4th-liquor-drinking

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-07

I'm still waiting for the price of beer to drop as promised. Competition along with more variety was to user in better prices.

And <deleted> about Singha beer? Now instead of 630 ml bottles they are selling 500 ml bottles for nearly the same price. More than one sixth of the beer is gone and the price drops 3 baht!!!!

• Like 1

Interesting figures. There is no way I believe Sweden and Finland are so low.... makes me question the figures...... blink.png

I agree with you.

Having lived in Denmark and been to Swden and Finland I saw a lot more alcohol consumption there than I see here.

I am sure the figures are distorted somehow.

How would the top 3 fare if they didn't sell alcohol between 2-5pm?

Does anyone know what the point of this is by the way? I can buy alcohol until midnight which means I can be drinking all night, be drunk off my ass, then go into 7-11 to get MORE beer. But if I stop off at the supermarket after work on my way home to get some wine or beer because I am having a few guests over later that night or as a gift because I am going to someone else's place, I can't! To me its just a major pain in the ass and doesn't accomplish anything. I'd love to know the reasoning behind it. Ok, its not the end of the world, but there have been a number of times wheres its been a big inconvenience.

Interesting figures. There is no way I believe Sweden and Finland are so low.... makes me question the figures...... blink.png

I agree with you.

Having lived in Denmark and been to Swden and Finland I saw a lot more alcohol consumption there than I see here.

Once you live in Thailand for longer than a few weeks, you willthumbsup.gif

Warning - boring factual post ahead! smile.png

"Shots of liquor" is quite a strange way to measure the alcohol intake of a country - as Euromonitor International acknowledge on their website.

South Korea's most popular spirit is called "Soju", and usually contains around 20% alcohol. Vodka, of course, is about 40% alcohol - which explains why South Korea are ahead of the Russians in this survey. 1 "Russian shot" would be equivalent to 2 "South Korean shots".

The UK drinks a mere 2.3 shots per week - but beer is hugely popular in that country.

The WHO (not the band) have the following national alcohol consumption stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

A few examples:

Russia - 4th

South Korea - 13th

UK - 17th

Japan - 70th

Thailand - 77th

The Philippines - 89th

Apart from South Korea, all of the top 25 boozing countries are European, apparently.

Edited by nkg
  • Like 1

"Shots of liquor" is quite a strange way to measure the alcohol intake of a country - as Euromonitor International acknowledge on their website.

South Korea's most popular spirit is called "Soju", and usually contains around 20% alcohol. Vodka, of course, is about 40% alcohol - which explains why South Korea are ahead of the Russians in this survey. 1 "Russian shot" would be equivalent to 2 "South Korean shots".

The UK drinks a mere 2.3 shots per week - but of course, beer is hugely popular in that country.

A few examples:

Russia - 4th

South Korea - 13th

UK - 17th

Japan - 70th

Thailand - 77th

The Philippines - 89th

Apart from South Korea, all of the top 25 boozing countries are European, apparently.

If Korea isn't top 5 I would be amazed.

I agree with you.

Once you live in Thailand for longer than a few weeks, you willthumbsup.gif

Don't need to question time here, thanks. Do you speak Thai yet?

pom men-gnaw.

I also lived in Sweden for 2 years, and frequented Finland. I saw the standard of life-style, and believe you me, the masses are complete pissheads.

Sweden and Finland both beat Thailand hands down for bottle shot drinking... or the Thai equivalent.

Of course they do it to keep warm.. not a cultural problem!

The UK drinks a mere 2.3 shots per week - but beer is hugely popular in that country.

A few examples:

Russia - 4th

South Korea - 13th

UK - 17th

Japan - 70th

Thailand - 77th

The Philippines - 89th

So everybody in Moldova is a pisshead, hey? 555

Well, the 12 countries ahead of South Korea are all former Eastern Bloc countries, except for tiny Andorra (population 80,000)

Moldova Czech Republic Hungary Russia Ukraine Estonia Andorra Romania Slovenia Belarus Croatia Lithuania

The only countries there with a population much over 10M are Russia, Ukraine and Romania. If we changed the list to "Countries with a population of 12 Million or more", we'd have:

1) Russia

2) Ukraine

3) Romania

4) South Korea

5) France

6) UK

7) Poland

8) Germany

9) Nigeria

10) Uganda

I agree with you.

The Scandinavian countries have ridiculously high alcohol taxes. And the Danish, Swedes and Finns that I see in Thailand are certainly not shy of a few drinks.

A lot of the Scandinavian booze is probably bought through "unofficial channels", which wouldn't show on the statistics.

Congrats everyone! This placement could only have been achieved with the help of foreigners. So have 2 drinks in salute to thailands standing and a few more so maybe thailand can be #3 next year heehhee

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app