My new smartphone

Tywais

My HTC Desire has had a good run, 4 years, but been running into limits as it is stuck at Android 2.2, memory only 576MB, storage 512MB. Rooted it and installed Android 4.2.2 and helped but still not enough for all the apps I want/need.

So started looking at the latest smartphones and shortlisted 4 of them.

HTC One - having been a long time user of HTC this was at the top of the list. Availability very limited so dropped this one.

Sony Xperia Z1 - two previous phones were Sony Ericcson and were very good and reliable.

Nexus 5

LG G2

Samsung S4 - not really in the running for me

After looking at lots of reviews and youtube videos chose the LG G2

The fastest phone available along with the Xperia, both using the same CPU (Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400) (Snapdraggon 800 chipset) and GPU (Adreno 330)

32GB internal storage, 2GB memory

3G & 4G LTE capable

True HD-IPS 5.2 inch HD (1920x1080) screen 424 ppi (pixels per inch), 400 nits brightness

Very narrow bezel at 2.65 mm so nearly all glass front

NFC and IR Blaster

13 Mpixel image stablized camera, 2.1Mpixel 1080p HD front camera

3000 ma hour battery

Paid 17,900 for it at Invadeit.com versus others listing it at 19,900.

After testing it for one day I have to say it is a fantastic smart phone. The weight is actually only 6 grams more than my HTC Desire and much thinner 8.9mm versus 11.9mm.

• Like 1

I was also looking at the LG-G2 when last in Sing City however I got a decent deal

on the Galaxy S4 so I grabbed that instead. As Shurup stated "best" is very subjective

and to me...whatever suits ones needs is the best one. I don't really need all the

features of the S4...and it's kinda big for my liking....but...it does the job. I also

checked out the SE's because I once had their Xperia X10 and loved it and would

have purchased the Z1 if the shop had a real one instead of just a fancy display

jobber. Crikey...the Z1 has a 20 Mp camera in it! Anyway...like that old Huey Lewis

song...Happy to be stuck with you...I'm happy with me S4 & it can do much more

than I need it to do...Enjoy that LG!

Would the Samsung Note III not have to be included in your comparison-test; when I look at its credentials/specs?

LTE,Snapdragon,Super Amoled, Gorilla glass etc etc.

That was getting too big for my needs, more phablet size, and inconvenient for me to carry and to hold. The HTC one has a 4.7" screen and the G2 5.2" screen but both still nearly physically the same size. The Note is a large jump in physical size and weight and I already have a good 10" tablet. Actually my first approach to this was the mini or compact versions of the list items. Decided that larger size display but still not cumbersomely large body was my best choices. Everything comes down to compromises. As mentioned, best is subjective and all have advantages and disadvantages and one must balance what suits their purpose and what compromises one is willing to make.

My guess, I would have been happy with any one of the ones on my shortlist as they are all very good phones. But having spent a few weeks reading up, was time to make a decision.

well motivated decision, just lately see a tendency growing for substantial larger screens for phones, or phablets if you like.

Today had a Sony Z ultra in my hands; superb 6 inch screen but indeed can't be pocketed.Same applies to the Samsung's mega versions. Yet strolling through a shoppingmall my indeed very subjective observation notices a drastic user increase of these phones; apperently especially popular for ladies.FYI recently the new Acer liquid S2 gets impressive reviews, but size-and weight wise probably not in your desired league

If I were to go with those I would need to carry a man purse with me. biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

Carrying a man purse in Thailand is fine, you would blend in with all the Thai men carrying their purses! biggrin.png

Indeed, it's like a circle; in the old days the phone's were heavy and thick due to the battery and the electronics inside needing more space and lots of people carried the phone by a special

phone-purse at their belt. Nowadays phones got very slim in height but large in diameter, battery-life is worse than ever due to slim batteries and demanding HD color-screens and we starting to carry power-packs with us to compensate!

I was one of the first the buy a nexus 7 inch for reading the newspapers, forums like Thaivisa and social networks or skype. Lately I don"t use the nexus 7 that much, as the new larger screens

from the phones or phablets substitute for it; especially in the evening when sitting on the couch or laying in bed just catching the latest news I find it much more comfortable reading on

a large screen phone(say 5 inch up).

So I probably won't buy a new tablet, but go for a new phone with a screen of approx. 6 inches that I just can carry with me in my pocket, or turn back to the old days and store it in

the old-fashioned phone-purse attached to the belt. Ladies can carry a powerpack in their handbag(and I witnessed them doing so); guys have an disadvantage here I suppose.

As the main manufacturers all announced new models, coming with bendable, flexible,concaved and more thin screens, I just wait for them to be presented in the first or second quarter this year.

As much as the electonics are advanced with every new model,a revolution or even a decent evolution on battery-life still is not in sight AFAIK.

Look for aftermarket batteries mate, I've got a Zerolemon 10,000 mah battery for my Note 3, only change it twice a week. It comes with a case and a belt clip/stand. It made my phone 2x heavier and thicker but I don't care, I love the battery life and I don't have any power saving features enabled. Love it. Zerolemon makes batteries for some other model phones. Search if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Look for aftermarket batteries mate, I've got a Zerolemon 10,000 mah battery for my Note 3, only change it twice a week. It comes with a case and a belt clip/stand. It made my phone 2x heavier and thicker but I don't care, I love the battery life and I don't have any power saving features enabled. Love it. Zerolemon makes batteries for some other model phones. Search if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Interesting, bookmarked their site and will look if they have a specific battery available once I choose a new model. Thanksthumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Just got notified yesterday on my LG G2 that Kit Kat (Android 4.2.2) is available now for download. Looks like a lot of people are downloading at the same time as I put it on the charger and let the download happen overnight. This morning still hadn't completed. I can download a 1GB game in 30-40 minutes. Anyway it completed and now installed but haven't had a chance to see how it behaves or changes yet. It was announced a few months ago that it would be available for the G2 in March and it was on time so pretty good updating for the LG. Of course still behind several other brands due to the customization part of LG.

You mean 4.4.2, not 4.2.2 right? ;)

When I updated my Note 3 from 4.3 to 4.4.2 a lot of ram was feed up and quite a bit of storage. Overall the phone seems to be smoother, not many cosmetic changes.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

You mean 4.4.2, not 4.2.2 right? wink.png

When I updated my Note 3 from 4.3 to 4.4.2 a lot of ram was feed up and quite a bit of storage. Overall the phone seems to be smoother, not many cosmetic changes.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Ah, yes. Update from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2.

Odd thing though. When I had 4.2.2 running AnTuTU benchmark I was getting 36000+ but ran the tests with 4.4.2 and got 27000+. Some other forums mentioned seeing that too and since it is a synthetic benchmark that AnTuTu may not be tuned yet for it. Ran Quadrant and the numbers are, let's say, impressive at 19050. Same with 3DMarks for gaming.

post-566-0-35556100-1395799286_thumb.png