How safe is Bkk?

Chalongian

Hello Bkk People, my parents are visiting me down here in Phuket at the moment and would like to visit Bangkok for a few days before they leave, 15th - 17th of this month, just wanted to know if its safe to send them with all the protesting and stuff thats been going on. I wanted to put them in a hotel in Sukhumvit. How is the vibe around there at the moment? Any areas they should avoid? Any info greatly appreciated - Thanks

Yeah, it's pretty safe. That said the Asoke / Sukhumvit junction is a protest hotbed with nightly rallies and a permanent camp there (not to mention their own security guards and checkpoints) so I'd maybe think about putting them somewhere other than Sukhumvit for a hotel. Although it's a long road so it depends where on Sukhumvit the hotel is I guess.

As for hotels, the only parts of Sukhumvit to avoid are Asoke and Ratchadamri, where protests are going on.

Something closer to Nana, like the Landmark or the Marriott would be fine.

It's safe as long as they stay away from protest areas.

In fact, it's probably the best time to visit Bangkok. Tourism is down, so there are less people here, the weather is beautiful and hotel rates are way down.

Have them go on Agoda and Asia Rooms to look for good rates.

• Like 2

Personally I do not see what all the worry is about if you have a level head and do not mingle with the protesters. The Sakaeo significant other and I came into BKK on election day and stayed on Sukhumvit. We are back and staying 100m down on Soi 19 and Sukhumvit. You just go with the flow and stay street smart.

Oh whoops, I'm going in to Ekamai from Bangsaen, I'm hoping to BST it to Asoke and then MRT it to Hua Lamphong,

Can anybody tell me if I'm going to have a problem at Asoke/Sukhumvit changeover please?

Oh whoops, I'm going in to Ekamai from Bangsaen, I'm hoping to BST it to Asoke and then MRT it to Hua Lamphong,

Can anybody tell me if I'm going to have a problem at Asoke/Sukhumvit changeover please?

Yesterday during the day I was at several BTS and MRT stations in Bangkok and had no problems. The protester crowds were small and confined to street level, felt like a festival. Street vendors outnumbered the protesters. No protesters were blocking BTS and MRT entrances.

• Like 1

I need to go to Panthip and 2 banks in Silom and Rama 4....

What's the situation coming from Morchit with the 77 bus to Silom , past the Victory monument !!! and around Lumpini park !!! to Silom road and then to Rama 4 road a bit east of the boxing stadium ? Do the busses ride on Rama 4 past Lumpini ?

Is everything normal in Panthip plaza ?

Should be fine but we have to be aware that it could turn ugly very quickly. Stick to the BTS for transport. Taxis later at night have been harder to find in my experience. Silom is particularly difficult but on Suk, soi 33 plus is OK.

• Like 1

It's fine. Just don't be a dick and join the protests thinking it's "exploring a different culture"

Great summing up. Sounds like a potential travel slogan.

And,the exploring a different culture comment is almost a direct quote from a dick young person in the thread about Britons being attracted to the "carnival atmosphere." Probably the same subset of humanity that has difficulty coping with balconies.

Edited by Suradit69

It is very safe. You can even walk in the middle of the mob area where there is no shortage of crap on sale. Went with wife (to visit a friend from South). People very friendly, giving me food and water (declined).

Just stay clear of the area where speeches are being delivered, you will be fine.

Most peaceful demo I have ever attended.

It is very easy to stay well clear of the protest areas although around MBK it's a bit in your face.

Protest = people selling stuff lol

Overall, even with the embers of protest still flickering, Bangkok is one of the safest cities of its size in the world. The main thing is to get your parents to appraise themselves of updates - ThaiVisa's 'Thailand News' section is one of the best. The political situation remains tense in Bangkok and demos could flare again from either side. If they do, just avoid them - though unless your parents looked like active participants, its highly unlikely anyone would bother them - Thais of all colours are too polite to cause non-combatants anything more than the inconvenience of going round their protests.

What's the situation coming from Morchit with the 77 bus to Silom , past the Victory monument !!! and around Lumpini park !!! to Silom road and then to Rama 4 road a bit east of the boxing stadium ? Do the busses ride on Rama 4 past Lumpini ?

Why on earth would you want come all the way from Mo Chit on a BUS? There's a BTS station in Mo Chit that will get you to Silom 5 times faster than a bus.

Why on earth would you want come all the way from Mo Chit on a BUS? There's a BTS station in Mo Chit that will get you to Silom 5 times faster than a bus.

Because I always took the easy bus 77 from Morchit to silom , it is cheap and I have lots of time (arriving with the nightbus to Bangkok at 5 in the morning.).

I didn't know that you can take BTS directly from the busstation....? I thought the park was between de Morchit and Phahonyotin road where the skytrain is , and that is too far to walk.

I thought there was a rally stage at Victory monument, both the 77 and BTS go around that circle...

Ten times.....we were at Pantip last week when the march went past and it caused traffic chaos. Had to jump on bikes and speed aroundvthe back streets and pavements to get to Ploen Chit....Just keep an eye on what's happening if you can and you should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1