Government will be asked to issue a Royal Decree to declare new election

Lite Beer

Government will be asked to issue a Royal Decree to declare new election

2-7-2014-7-29-53-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission will formally ask the government to enact a Royal Decree to stage election in 28 constituencies in seven provinces, mostly in the South, where no election was staged on February 2 due to protests.

Mr Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, election commissioner in charge of electoral affairs, said Friday that the EC decided to stage elections in the seven provinces namely Rayong, Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat, Petchaburi, Prachuab Khiri Khan and Satun after the commission had evaluated the situation and felt that protests against election have subsided.

However, he noted that the EC could not stage the election unless there is a Royal Decree to be enacted by the government and the EC wanted an answer from the government regarding this matter as quick as possible.

He said that the EC had to stick to the rule that fresh election must be held within 180 days after the House dissolution and if there is no positive response from the government fresh election would not be possible.

As for preparations for the fresh election, Mr Somchai said provincial election officials of the seven provinces and the election directors would be invited for a meeting next Tuesday to find out whether they are ready to stage the election or not.

Regarding advance voting which failed to take place in 83 constituences, the EC has invited election officials from the 15 provinces for a meeting at the EC’s office next Thursday to guage their prerparedness for fresh election.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/government-will-asked-issue-royal-decree-declare-new-election/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=government-will-asked-issue-royal-decree-declare-new-election

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-07

Good Luck with that

your dead right mate..it wont be happening for a while yet i think,...there will only more no votes but that is their right ...people keep slagging the ec but if they dont keep within the law their arse will be kicked.they cant win with some people on here,just as well there not thai ..because you cant take these fools seriously ..coffee1.gif

Back to the subject please, it seems that the government's idea to get it over with in a blink of an eye (the rest of elections, and as often as needed to regain power) will be delayed. Correct? coffee1.gif

Edited by dinom
  • Like 1

A new countrywide general election should be what is required with such a low turnout, whether it will change the political climate is open to debate. No quick fixes here as no one will accept the result unless they win, if you get my drift.

Now theres a thought, send the Thai politicians to Midsomer Murders, all the locals are dead!

Ahh... passing the buck. EC lost face with the CC telling them that they had to negotiate with the gov for the election date, now throwing a hissy fit.

Within 180 days assumes that the House is over 95% full and able to convene, hence can be done at a leisurely pace.

Section 109 says that by-elections have to be held within 45 days.

Take your pick.

Nowhere in the constitution does it say that another royal decree is needed - only if a general election is called again is one needed.

A royal decree may be needed if the gov felt it had to force the EC to do their job - or if the EC wanted the gov to force them to do it.

tick... tock... tick... tock...

There are a total of 22 provinces and 123 constituencies that either did not have candidates or couldn't stage a vote - either partially or completely. In other words - a grand mess. So wouldn't it make sense to ask all the elections officials in all 123 constituencies first before approaching the administration with any degree of confidence that exactly the same thing won't happen again ? To ask for a response from the administration " as quick as possible ", and then schedule a meeting with 123 constituencies next Thursday to determine if it's viable - is mad. Constitutional precedent seems to take place as a daily sport. We have an election that has no pathway to completion. And anyone who seriously thinks that a 95 % quorum can be achieved under the present climate is drinking from the same glass as Chalerm. This election is void on the basis of Article 28 alone. The EC may be under the impression that the election will not be deemed unconstitutional. But even if it isn't - which would be pretty extraordinary, given the dictates of Article 28 - if a quorum is not achieved by March 4 it's game over. And if a prime minister isn't nominated from such a parliament by April 1, Article 7 takes over, and an interim prime minister is appointed through a nominating process in the Senate.

These elections will never be sanctioned.

If they do get to finish them, it will dilute PTP's position even more as well as their mandate.

There will be no parliament, so they will stay as caretakers until the election is officially voided.

They will need to hold a whole new election. Next election may or may not feature Yingluck or the PTP. But even if they did, I am sure that the Dems will stand next time and judging by the amount of votes PTP got (about 8 million) then I think we can safely assume that it will be a lot less next time as this rice scam bites them in the arse, the Dems should run away with it.

Every day the PTP are losing face and losing popularity. Even their strongholds have started turning against them.

About 3.8 million rice families, that's a mighty lot of voters they are pissing off. By the time they go back to the polls, the rice scheme will be dead and so will their industry. No profits next harvest, only potential losses, all because of the Thaksin regime.... Not the EC, not the PDRC.... Yingluck and Co and nobody else.

Some farang may be stupid enough to think it was the EC and PDRC that have shafted the farmers, but Thai's are not as stupid as these farang.... They may not be well educated, but they are not so dim they don't see the obvious.

• Like 1

A new countrywide general election should be what is required with such a low turnout, whether it will change the political climate is open to debate. No quick fixes here as no one will accept the result unless they win, if you get my drift.

Now theres a thought, send the Thai politicians to Midsomer Murders, all the locals are dead!

There's no grounds to redo the whole election, especially with 80+% of the polls reporting. The Court directed the election to continue where not conducted; it showed no concern for interrupted polls or low turnout. The Constitution sets the final completion date. The EC wants a royal decree so it can be held blameless for any further problems like its own inability to conduct an election. The issue is not with the EC or the administration but rather what happens if Suthep continues to successfully keep polls closed - peacefully of course. This will be Suthep's last chance and given desparation I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to make things really nasty.

Doesn't sound right to me. A Royal Decree had already been issued for the 2 Feb elections and these elections in those affected constituencies are part of the same election. Why should a new Royal Decree be needed?

I think that they need a new decree because there have been NO candidates in most of the constituencies. So therefore no election!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Doesn't sound right to me. A Royal Decree had already been issued for the 2 Feb elections and these elections in those affected constituencies are part of the same election. Why should a new Royal Decree be needed?

I think that they need a new decree because there have been NO candidates in most of the constituencies. So therefore no election!

Nevertheless, it's part of the same election. I'm thinking that if a new decree is sort, this might give grounds to a possible annulment on the grounds that elections were not specified for the same day as per Article 108. Another trapdoor perhaps.

• Like 2

Sorry I dont see the logic or need for another decree on an election that has already had a decree and that hasnt actually even finished yet.

As Gwiel says its part of the same election and makes no sense, EC imo is just trying as it has been all along to derail it.

I think it's because they're by-elections.

Nevertheless, it's part of the same election. I'm thinking that if a new decree is sort, this might give grounds to a possible annulment on the grounds that elections were not specified for the same day as per Article 108. Another trapdoor perhaps.

If they are part of the same election, then they would clearly be held over more than one day. The ones where they had partial voting would be especially be an issue.

In the case of a one candidate electorate not getting the required 20%, there would need to be a by-election. That would be the same where there were no candidates or incomplete voting.

The EC can't extend registrations, so the no-candidate electorates would need to start all over again.

These elections will never be sanctioned.

If they do get to finish them, it will dilute PTP's position even more as well as their mandate.

There will be no parliament, so they will stay as caretakers until the election is officially voided.

They will need to hold a whole new election. Next election may or may not feature Yingluck or the PTP. But even if they did, I am sure that the Dems will stand next time and judging by the amount of votes PTP got (about 8 million) then I think we can safely assume that it will be a lot less next time as this rice scam bites them in the arse, the Dems should run away with it.

Every day the PTP are losing face and losing popularity. Even their strongholds have started turning against them.

About 3.8 million rice families, that's a mighty lot of voters they are pissing off. By the time they go back to the polls, the rice scheme will be dead and so will their industry. No profits next harvest, only potential losses, all because of the Thaksin regime.... Not the EC, not the PDRC.... Yingluck and Co and nobody else.

Some farang may be stupid enough to think it was the EC and PDRC that have shafted the farmers, but Thai's are not as stupid as these farang.... They may not be well educated, but they are not so dim they don't see the obvious.

I like your prediction of the demise of the PTP but alas just how many political parties have been disbanded forcibly or voluntary, only to reform under a different guise.

No doubt they will turn on the Shinawatras, Chalerm and a few of their high profile cronies, and then claim to be a new party, with promises of great riches for lower classes, and the lower classes will fall for it, rice farmers and all, hook, line & sinker.

I

Edited by Basil B

None of us have a clue what was written in the Royal Degree or how the EC works in Thailand :) but we are destined to pass judgments :( beyond constitutional court's mandate ;)

Things are moving to a jam that looks good to anarchists (minus army) till it doesn't enter into civil war wai2.gif