Escaping Songkran

curtklay

Maybe so in Issan, but all you have to do is look at some You Tube clips of what it's like in Chiang Mai. If that's your idea of fun, you can have it.

Craig and Ajaan's explanations are right on the money.

Back on topic: Viet Nam is also on my short list. Thanks, Ima_farang.

Bang Saphan is looking very good.

google:

Baan Grood Arcadia Resort & Spa

Room, swimming pool, breakfast smile.png , good service and the beach across the street. We enjoyed it last year with "our" grandchildren.

Click to enlarge!

beach - view to the north:

8be9d2-1391952993.jpg

beach - view to the south:

3bbf68-1391953108.jpg

beach - view on the children

494666-1391953243.jpg

Edited by puck2

Yermanee: Great link! Not my idea of fun either. I could stay home for that. Koh Chang has been scratched.

Puck: Your pictures are exactly what I'm looking for. Bang Saphan is now at the top of my list.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I dream of being here for songkran some year. It's the hottest time of the year, people throwing water all over the place, fun energetic holiday. I don't want to become old and boring. Deal with it and have fun! Try Banglamphu I hear its a little quieter there.

Think as you will, but its not about being old or boring. Like I said, I really enjoy songkran for about a couple hours. I'm sure I'll take some time out some time during the week and go into my city's downtown and get soaked.

The main problem with songkran is the non-opt-in nature of the "festivities". You can't perform any daily function outside without getting soaked. Whether going to work, shopping, or going to the hospital, you're in for a soaking if you're outside. Even just driving on a motorbike, people pitch buckets of water at you while you drive by - even in the car, where they can't get you wet, they still just aim for the windshield. If people were more reasonable about it, then it would be a really fun holiday, as it is, its mostly something I try to avoid.

• Like 1

If you go to Samui it's only one day of madness. If you stay in your resort for that day you wouldn't even notice it was going on, especially if you stay in one of the smaller beaches. It starts in the evening and then goes on for the following day but if you just lounge on the beach you won't notice anything different.

Yes true... in fact with possible the exception of Chawang, perhaps some areas of Lamai, it hardly lasts half a day! .... even some areas, nothing at all!

Not that hard to miss... wink.png

It'll be my first Songkran this year. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. I'm in Bangkok where would be good to see both the traditional Songkran celebrations and the crazy side of it in Bangkok? Or elsewhere if anyone has any better suggestions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Hua Hin has Songkran on one day only - April 12. That is the day I will be confined to the premises. I'll sleep in, do some work and go to the pool.

I might have a beer or two and then make it an early evening.

I have experienced the idiocy of Songkran in Patong & Chiang Mai, If people want to participate in such idiocy, good for them, but leave those of us who do not, alone. And this is where Hua Hin shines. One day, and one day only is tolerated. There will however be drunk drivers all weekend, so we will not driving during that time and won't be crossing busy intersections at night either. The strip in front of Market Village becomes a "let's run down the pedestrian zone", but aside from that, the place remains sane. I give thanks for Hua Hin's older demographic at this time of year, because the old folks are not interested at throwing water on people sitting having dinnner as was the case in patong. The hisos of Bangkok don't like getting wet either. They will however, go to the foam party at Market Village, because it's scented foam thumbsup.gif

I'm up in Issan for the first 2 weeks of April and it has been agreed that we are to "evacuate" no later than April 10 or 11.

Siem Reap and Pub Street sound good to me..whistling.gif

Thanks for that lead in GL smile.png

We shall again be taking a tour group to Siem Reap 12th to 15th April (4,750 Baht per person based on a couple sharing) to avoid the madness.

Anyone around Surin or Buriram, who wants to escape, please get in touch.

• 2 months later...

My first was back in '95, me and GF in from the states, first time in Thailand, traversing Samui on motor bike, dangerously getting slammed by buckets of ditch water. A year or so later, solo on a 250, so at speed, en route from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai, dopes jumping out from behind trees to pound you with a bucket of slime, full on chest hit at maybe 90 kmh. You get pretty defensive, after that.

I never went down, but have seen them knock their fellow Thai off their bikes.

Short while ago, today, Saturday afternoon, 1:30 in the afternoon, Chiang Mai, headed out with laptop in backpack, iPod on belt, realized when I hit the main drag I made a mistake: They got an early start. I managed to circumvent on way to IT shop destination, mostly same on coming back. But on return as I unavoidably approached a group of 30-something Thai adults with guns (?!), saw them getting ready, I signaled *NO*, with thumb indicated backpack, meaning *I have something in here*, my laptop. They stopped, waited until I passed then started on me with the stupid water guns. I lost it, swung around and went drill sergeant on them.

So, yeah, perhaps best I sign on to the Reclusive Club. A nice tradition just made stupid, wasteful, dangerous and real freakin' inconvenient.

• Like 1

I highly recommend visiting southern Thailand where Songkhran is celebrated for a day if at all. There are lovely beaches in Narathiwat and islands off of Satun and Ranong where you'll find very few foreigners, and hardly any Thai tourists, thus guaranteeing a quiet few days to yourself.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe so in Issan, but all you have to do is look at some You Tube clips of what it's like in Chiang Mai. If that's your idea of fun, you can have it.

Craig and Ajaan's explanations are right on the money.

Back on topic: Viet Nam is also on my short list. Thanks, Ima_farang.

Bang Saphan is looking very good.

google:

Baan Grood Arcadia Resort & Spa

Room, swimming pool, breakfast smile.png , good service and the beach across the street. We enjoyed it last year with "our" grandchildren.

Click to enlarge!

beach - view to the north:

x8be9d2-1391952993.jpg.pagespeed.ic.qAa8

beach - view to the south:

x3bbf68-1391953108.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Fp-E

beach - view on the children

494666-1391953243.jpg

A good suggestion. Ban Krut is a an alternative to a longer trip to far southern Thailand beaches. About 5hrs by road from Bangkok, or get there on the train and arrange to be picked up. Beaches are very clean, very hard to find in Thailand now. Nice local Thai and seafood restaurants. Never crowded. Baan Klang Aow Beach Resort is another nice place to stay.

@curtklay I don't know where in northern Thailand you are but in Lampang songkran is only celebrated for 2 days I.e. the 12th and 13th with the 14th being family day. Maybe it's just my impression but I seem to recall a longer songkran water splashing period 10 years ago back in 2004 than now. On the other hand Laos is getting out of control even on the 16th there was plenty of splashing in Vientiane even on smaller streets. In any Thai city head away from the main streets and you'd never know it was Songkran, even yesterday in Lampang where only a few streets had action.

And just for reference Laos, Myanmar China's Yunnan province, Sri Lanka and Cambodia I believe all have their own versions of Songkran. Of these only Laos and Myanmar are full on crazy though with less traffic and people than Thailand. No idea about Cambodia and in Yunnan's Sipsongbanna region the new year water splashing festival is quite traditional with no street water splashing - everything is restricted to the ethnic park same as in Kunming.

• 11 months later...

Hey all, if you don't fancy joining in with Songkran this year, then why not escape into one of our private pool villas. We have 300 of them. You can hide away with your friends/family and have your own BBQ or dinner celebration.

Just check out our superb properties on TVillas.com and then send me a message.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tee

post-218304-0-35271600-1426513396_thumb.

• 4 years later...
On 2/9/2014 at 8:58 AM, alex8912 said:

I dream of being here for songkran some year. It's the hottest time of the year, people throwing water all over the place, fun energetic holiday. I don't want to become old and boring. Deal with it and have fun! Try Banglamphu I hear its a little quieter there.

Most of the world must be old and boring then, seeing as very few have ever experienced it.

• Thanks 1