JSixpack

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JSixpack you are improving yourself every year. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I just hope you are wrong and the future will bring some sort of normality to us, but excellent work.

Myself I will enjoy that time in Bangkok again, same as last year, if the mobs allow it.

• Like 1

Post of the decade.

Nice one 6 pack, how long did that take to put together?

Wish I had that many hours in a day to dedicate to a post, well done, really.

Will arrive in Pattaya on the 12th for a week.

Cheers biggrin.png

• Like 2

I`m considering going to Cambodia during Thai Songkran time.

Is there water throwing there as well ?

I`m reading conflicting reports, would appreciate knowing from someone who has been there at that time, I`d likely choose PP or Sihanoukville.

"Chaul Chnam Thmey – Monday to Wednesday, 14 to 16 April 2014 "

http://thaholiday.co...-schedule-2014/

I do usually just stock up and mostly stay in but considering a change.

Thanks

smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

I have noticed that shopping at night during the 10 days has become easier over the last couple of years. Perhaps it's because I've become more experienced at keeping out of harms way.

You may have a point about the Russians.... but the problem is that April is not such a busy time of the year for Russian tourists.

My goal is to go the entire period without being "songkraned". I just about made it last year - I caught a bit of spray late on the 19th evening going to the gym by some Thais still "playing" along 3rd Road.

• Like 1

It's not too difficult to stay at home during the day and early evening - then do some shopping trips late at night to Foodland or Friendship (or even Foodmart) to stock up on fresh items. Just avoid the night trips on 18 and 19.

Stay away from bar areas at all times, because you'll get wet there even at night.

• Like 1

You coined a new word LOL. I like it!

"Songkraned" as in "You can get songkraned anywhere in the city".

Thank you. Honestly, since I thought of the verb several years ago, I've been finding it useful shorthand. It instantly describes the condition we know SO well. "It must have started already in downtown Pattaya: that baht bus looks songkraned." "She came back from the 7/11 songkraned." "I got songkraned on the way to Friendship this afternoon."

I think it's the word we've been looking for. I bequeath it to all readers of the Songkran FAQ. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 2

You coined a new word LOL. I like it!

"Songkraned" as in "You can get songkraned anywhere in the city".

Thank you. Honestly, since I thought of the verb several years ago, I've been finding it useful shorthand. It instantly describes the condition we know SO well. "It must have started already in downtown Pattaya: that baht bus looks songkraned." "She came back from the 7/11 songkraned." "I got songkraned on the way to Friendship this afternoon."

I think it's the word we've been looking for. I bequeath it to all readers of the Songkran FAQ. smile.png

Yep, it's a word that describes a condition that only locals who have been here for awhile would fully comprehend.

It's a condition of being wet, frustrated, pissed off and out of sorts when you were hit by surprise with a bucket of water... while on your way to do something better done dry. smile.png

• Like 1

A free umbrella to the first person to Songkran me in 7-8 years. A bottle of Dettol for the second and a smack around the ears for the third.

Well, how have you been able to avoid being songkraned in so many years? 'Course, if you leave, you can't be songkraned anyway.

Been at least 10 years for me. I almost always leave. Last time I went to ground, maybe 6 years ago, I let the gf go out for resupply. She thought she knew a safe back route. Nope. :)

Just thought to add that if you decide to be a target, and you go out on a bike, you should definitely wear protective clothing as the risk of accident is so much higher.

Since you know the mess, you're of course tempted to wear nothing much more than a swimsuit and flip-flops. But that would NOT be wise at this time. Jeans, boots, jacket, full face helmet are what I'd wear. I'd probably wear a poncho or light rain jacket over my jacket. Yes, that would be hot as hell, and a big cleanup when I returned home, but a lot safer if some <deleted> hit me in the face w/ an ice bucket and I went down.

Edited by JSixpack

Just thought to add that if you decide to be a target, and you go out on a bike, you should definitely wear protective clothing as the risk of accident is so much higher.

Since you know the mess, you're of course tempted to wear nothing much more than a swimsuit and flip-flops. But that would NOT be wise at this time. Jeans, boots, jacket, full face helmet are what I'd wear. I'd probably wear a poncho or light rain jacket over my jacket. Yes, that would be hot as hell, and a big cleanup when I returned home, but a lot safer if some <deleted> hit me in the face w/ an ice bucket and I went down.

If I must go somewhere in the war zone I wear a typhoon-proof poncho and slippers or sandals. I'm not concerned about losing balance as I'm fairly confident with my riding skills and know what to expect. I don't know why they guys waste water trying to get me wet.biggrin.png

I used to stay dry going to California Wow up until the last day. My training shoes were wrapped in plastic in my back pack. The last year it was still open (2012) I even went there on Songkran Day - but it was closed! It was actually a very good week of training because the number of people training there was down.

A free umbrella to the first person to Songkran me in 7-8 years. A bottle of Dettol for the second and a smack around the ears for the third.

Well, how have you been able to avoid being songkraned in so many years? 'Course, if you leave, you can't be songkraned anyway.

Been at least 10 years for me. I almost always leave. Last time I went to ground, maybe 6 years ago, I let the gf go out for resupply. She thought she knew a safe back route. Nope. :)

I use the car more frequently during Songkran. But on the bike, I guess I've just been very lucky (and super fast and clever - lol). Back in the days when I only had the motorbike, I would do a recce before going to work or the shops.

Jsixpack, you should repackage your OP and consider submitting it to the other newspaper. Or do a deal with a publisher to have it included in a guide book and earn yourself some royalties.

Edited by WitawatWatawit
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the post 6pak.

I did the Patt/Songkran walkabout one year, just for the experience, but after that always left the country for a month.

For the person who asked about Cambodia, I found it much milder in PP and could be avoided if you did not want to participate.

• Like 2

I will say the same now what I say at every Songcran. If any Farang who I do not know throws water at me, it will be treated the same way as assault, and I will act accordingly. Any Farang I do know will not do it as they know my views on it.

I have no objection to people having fun and taking part in the water throwing if that is what they want, any TV member who has read my posts will know that I am strictly against anyone, no matter what the situation is, being forced to do anything against their will.

So if people are walking down the street, riding their motorbike, or driving their car, then leave them alone. Keep the water throwing only to people who want to take part.

• Like 2

Brilliant job. I booked ticket out of country other day. Going to Taliban controlled area of Pakistan, but still will be safer. (Kidding) Going to USA. 7 years ago had to come back from BKK to Jomtien, took 7 hours. We had weekend bags, Thais were cool about realising we were not part of the show, but the farangs were total jerks, as usual. It reminds me of old Star Trek episode where residents of some town went totally nuts one day a year. This of course is much beyond that... Beam me out, Scotty.

• Like 1