Galare Thong and Noise

Konini

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have lived in Galaethong for four years and i have never not been able to sleep due to external or internal noise. If I stand on my balcony some evenings i can hear singing not from Karaoke bars but private parties. Once inside no noise.

No offence meant but I have night noise here where I live it is of no concern to me because I have bad hearing and it is not as noticeable a karaoke bar 50 meters away I could hear with out my hearing aids. As for Dogs there are lots of them in Chiang Mai but there have been specific mention of one biting people. I myself have no problem with them. As I do not wander the back roads that much I walk a lot and have only had problems with one whom backed down when I faced him and he couldn't get behind my back.

<Sigh> Another non-related thread hijacked by the same old dog haters...

If you have problems with small social animals one-fifth your size, then you probably need to take a closer look at your own life.

i have dogs, i love dogs, its the anti-social aggressive ones that i have a problem with.

I think he needs to get out more. There are anti-social aggressive ones out there and they do not have a sign around their neck advertising that fact. Nor do the ones who are social.

My son was bitten by one who snuck up behind him. Fortunately it was not sick with Rabies. When I was a boy I had several paper routes and yes there are aggressive dogs out there. I am not a dog lover but I don't think a heck of a lot of people who let there's run loose.

I live in Galae Thong, and have never had a problem sleeping due to noise. I usually sleep with the balcony screen doors open. I am on the 2nd floor, corner unit, closest to the karaoke bars. If i listen closely, I can hear Tam Nan Folk (the Isaan bar) sometimes... but it's very faint. Definitely not enough to keep anyone awake.

I actually moved here because it was so quiet, compared to other places that are closer to a main road. Honestly it's a great location, and very quiet.

Also, I have no idea what people's gripes are about the "vicious soi dogs." Sometimes I see an old black dog who is always muzzled, but he looks pretty harmless. And I wonder how he can eat or drink with that thing on.

Edited by Jason Green
  • Like 1

Just to distract from the OP.. Whenever I see the name of this place, it makes me wonder that I always understood that to be a euphemism no ??

Galee tong = golden flower = bar girls.

A Thai once said to me that its a word play on golden flowers being lovely and that the golden flower is what they sit on, opening petals and all that..

Makes for an odd apartment name ??

Galare: https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%A5&tbm=isch

Just to distract from the OP.. Whenever I see the name of this place, it makes me wonder that I always understood that to be a euphemism no ??

Galee tong = golden flower = bar girls.

A Thai once said to me that its a word play on golden flowers being lovely and that the golden flower is what they sit on, opening petals and all that..

Makes for an odd apartment name ??

Poor information/ not knowing thai very well. As the other poster said. Galare thong means a golden Galare. Galare is the crafted wood, like buffalo's horn, decorated at the building roof top, especially thai roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I was also looking to potentially rent there but also getting turned off by reports about the noise issue. Also read some very bad reviews about the internet connection. Anybody knows if you can get your own, private connection installed?

Yes you can get your own connection.

I was also looking to potentially rent there but also getting turned off by reports about the noise issue. Also read some very bad reviews about the internet connection. Anybody knows if you can get your own, private connection installed?

Yes you can get your own connection.

I live here in have my own 3BB connection. 13megabit, pretty speedy. Only problem is you have to sign a 1 year contract. AND pay 6 months in advance. If you break the contract theres a 5500 baht fee. Monthly rate is around 1000 baht per month. 3BB is the only provider that services here.

And YES. the "hotspot" shit that the condo offers sucks hard. You have to constantly login/logout every time you use it. And cant use multiple devices at once (iPhone, laptop etc). I grew tired of it REAL QUICK! They also block Torrent downloads on the hotspot connections if that matters to you...

• Like 1

<Sigh> Another non-related thread hijacked by the same old dog haters...

If you have problems with small social animals one-fifth your size, then you probably need to take a closer look at your own life.

Sounds like natural selection. Weak people deserve to get bitten and die of rabies???

Hard to do psychoanalysis when a dog is attacking you, but I suppose you could try hypnosis. Freud could probably do it. May even cure the dog of aggression.

• Like 2