February 7, 201412 yr My boyfriend and I are trying to move to Thailand this coming fall. My boyfriend has a misdemeanor drug charge from ten years ago. It is still on his record. He has nothing else legal or criminal on his record, except for this. We are hoping to teach English and are just getting the process started. Does anyone have any information on whether he will have a problem obtaining a working visa with the Thai Government? Any help and knowledge on this subject matter is appreciated. Kind Regards, Schirbs
February 8, 201412 yr As I see no one has replied for quite some time, Immigration are Great, never had a problem, ever. There is no stipulation about previous Criminal convictions, or if there is I must have missed it. I have been deported to Thailand with a criminal/prison conviction and have been in and out 20 times with no bother since then. If they were to ask me in the future, I would answer never.
February 8, 201412 yr There is no working visa for Thailand. You obtain a work permit and then get a non immigrant B visa. Neither require a back ground check. But some schools will want one before you start teaching or if you apply for the B visa at some embassies or consulates based upon teaching. Misdemeanor convictions in most countries do not show up on criminal records checks only felony convictions do.
Create an account or sign in to comment