Thailand Post Surface Mail, Do you have any experience / feedback ?

thailandbeachisland

Hello,

Has anybody used Thailand post surface mail to send parcels to Europe, US or any other destination ?

They say 3 months but I guess that it is most of the time faster as a boat never takes 3 months to get there ?

Do you know if they wait that a container is full to send the parcels and roughly how often surface mail leaves Thailand ?

Thank you.

small packages are much quicker than the big or heavy ones

I'd say former average 6 weeks, latter around three months

they probably hold them, boosts usage of the pricier services

and note stuff does go missing, better to register and insure - but then that makes paying duty more likely

Edited by wym

SOH and I decided we had too much luggage (we fly back to Greece on Tuesday), so bought a biggish box (about 55cm square) and filled it with clothes and bits and bobs. Took it to the Post Office to send, and they told us about 1 month. We'll see. It weighed 10 Kg and cost 1700 Baht (Gulp!). The wife's mum has sent smaller boxes to her, but still quite big, maybe half / third the size we sent, and they've arrived in 2 - 3 weeks. Pretty sure they went surface mail.

UK to Thailand usually takes 7-10 days in my experience (near KP) (small parcel). I have only done it once the other way round - birthday card - took about the same time.

I think you missed the point. The thread is about land/sea shipment (no airmail).

I can not think of any way to get a shipment in 7 to 10 days via surface/ship.

• 6 months later...

Sent 7 of their largest at max weight boxes to the PI - they were delivered to the door in 7 or 8 days......

You confuse airmail with surface mail. These days everything is shipped by airmail, where you have priority and standard airmail, unless restricted items like lithium batteries which are sent by surface mail only. A very small package by surface mail from HK to Thailand took 6 weeks from the time I received the tracking number.

It took 4 weeks between the time that it departed HK, confirmed by email from HK post with mumber of post bag and everything, and the time it arrived at the post office.

HK post told me by email that from the time it departs HK soil it takes between 12 and 30 days to reach Thailand shores.

Edited by JesseFrank

I've sent 2 small boxes (smallest box in thai post offices) weighing 1.5 kg in total (1k + 0.5kg or so in 2packages)

Sent on 14th august, still in Bangkok Mail Center. Not dispatched yet. Although it wasn't urgent, I certainly hope it won't take 3 months or 6 weeks to deliver it!

• 1 year later...