How low can you go, monthly budget cost

JASON THAI

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would seriously consider teaching Jason, not just for extra income but to :

1) Get you out of the house.

2) Give you a reason to get up in the morning.

3) Help you meet (hopefully) nice educated people (I don't mean that in a snobbish way).

4) Give you objectives that are NOT family based.

5) Stop you drinking &/or getting bored.

6) Make friends from different locations/backgrounds.

7) Motivation and to earn respect (hopefully)

That's how it helped me

Apart from no 2 as I like to not wake up to early LOL this is very good advice

In your position, would recommend getting a teaching job in the local area for the 9 years before your pension kicks in...

This will help to take any pressure off abit and may get stressful if needing to keep such a tight budget for any extended time

Also you could then get visa extension in Thailand, which will cut down on visa / travel expenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP: Why do you believe that as a foreigner you can obtain Thai government hospital medical insurance, have you already confirmed with hospital admin? Even if you were able to do so it does not cover all medicines that can quickly add up in cost. Also don't imagine wife would want her/children in a public ward in a Thai government hospital. Unless you're really unconcerned about 'quality of care', you and family definitely will not want to be treated at a local government hospital for anything of a serious nature, whether it be accident or illness.

Suggest you rethink the insurance & incidental expenses budget for health related matters.

Great to hear that Jason, good on you.

Hope it goes well, as you know, the grass "is" greener in Thailand (rather than the UK, my birthplace). Depends on what you want out of life.

I have watched how the NHS treated my father and now he is dead and now I am watching how they treat my 84 year old mother, this is no good and the UK has no respect for the eldery which is something the Thai's do, I would rather die in LOS than in the UK and have a less stressful life and enjoy it, you only have 1 life so why not enjoy it before it's to late !

Give that you mention respect to the elderly, how does your mother feel about you and your family leaving UK for Thailand for 9 years, with nothing factored in apparently for trips back to visit her? You say you "would rather die in LOS", but I wonder if you have seen the conditions in a local Thai hospital of how people are treated and die there, compared to the NHS which you seem to dislike for some reason? Your budget does not seem to cover medical insurance and hospital treatment can get very expensive, if the unexpected happens. Dreams can turn to nightmares rather quickly for those poorly prepared, as one only has to scan the backposts of TV to decipher.

Also, bear in mind that costs for the 9 year old are likely to increase steadily year on year, and you need to factor this in to your budget, especially once he finds all his friends have mobiles, computer games, fancy trainers, etc, and at the age of 14 or so, motorcikes and girls....... wink.png

Jason " I can't ride a motorbike"

You can get a 3 wheeler one,not a samlor taxi, but a funky bile with 2 big wheels at the back,

You won't fall off,

You say you've got a house in the UK, where abouts ?

If in/near London you can rent it for a pretty penny,

Just a thought

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In your position, would recommend getting a teaching job in the local area for the 9 years before your pension kicks in...

This will help to take any pressure off abit and may get stressful if needing to keep such a tight budget for any extended time

Also you could then get visa extension in Thailand, which will cut down on visa / travel expenses

This is what I am thinking of but only PT so should get around 8-10K extra per month

OP: Why do you believe that as a foreigner you can obtain Thai government hospital medical insurance, have you already confirmed with hospital admin? Even if you were able to do so it does not cover all medicines that can quickly add up in cost. Also don't imagine wife would want her/children in a public ward in a Thai government hospital. Unless you're really unconcerned about 'quality of care', you and family definitely will not want to be treated at a local government hospital for anything of a serious nature, whether it be accident or illness.

Suggest you rethink the insurance & incidental expenses budget for health related matters.

My Son was born in a government hosipital but we got a priavte room cost was around 6000 Baht for 3 days, I asked Pattaya/Bangkok and they quoted 54,000 Baht, the service we got from the government hospital was very good and there was a nurse outside are room 24/7.

Hope it goes well, as you know, the grass "is" greener in Thailand (rather than the UK, my birthplace). Depends on what you want out of life.

I have watched how the NHS treated my father and now he is dead and now I am watching how they treat my 84 year old mother, this is no good and the UK has no respect for the eldery which is something the Thai's do, I would rather die in LOS than in the UK and have a less stressful life and enjoy it, you only have 1 life so why not enjoy it before it's to late !

Give that you mention respect to the elderly, how does your mother feel about you and your family leaving UK for Thailand for 9 years, with nothing factored in apparently for trips back to visit her? You say you "would rather die in LOS", but I wonder if you have seen the conditions in a local Thai hospital of how people are treated and die there, compared to the NHS which you seem to dislike for some reason? Your budget does not seem to cover medical insurance and hospital treatment can get very expensive, if the unexpected happens. Dreams can turn to nightmares rather quickly for those poorly prepared, as one only has to scan the backposts of TV to decipher.

Also, bear in mind that costs for the 9 year old are likely to increase steadily year on year, and you need to factor this in to your budget, especially once he finds all his friends have mobiles, computer games, fancy trainers, etc, and at the age of 14 or so, motorcikes and girls....... wink.png

My mother has known for a long time that I would be going to live in Thailand, I do have other members of the family that can take care of her, it I was to get badly ill I would return to get free treatment from the NHS as I have been paying my NI for over 28 years so I might aswell get smething back from them.

I will be looking for PT teaching work when I arrive this will cover the cost for my son, also remember my wife will have around 4000 income coming in per month so this will help also.

Blimey, your an optimist aren't you.

Lets be positive please, that is what life is about is it not?

Jason, don't listen to these people that tell you that "the sky is falling down".

If you don't do it you will eternally live in regret.

GO FOR IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AA64eCt2zs

Yeah sure great idea, if he was on his own go for it.

The difference is he is some sort of middle aged guy with a wife and a couple of kids in tow.

Whats the rush to come over here?

Thailand aint going anywhere, will still be here when his pension kicks in, if he actually gets it and the goalposts havent been moved, never mind the exchange rates and inflation.

Talk about abandonment of all responsibility.

Wait til he gets a bill for 15k for root canal treatment, 6k for a new water pump, etc etc etc

Bringing a little girl here to condemn her, why bother writing it, go for it.

25k per month to keep a family of 4.

Heres a tip, cancel your plans, come here for a holiday, keep your credit card in the UK and see how far you get on 25k per month.

Written from one who lives here and is well aware of costs.

edit, just read, my wife will have an income of 4k per month, <deleted>, I spend more than that on a night out.

If you are really so reliant on 4k per month, best of luck to you, you will need it.

What happens if your wife doesnt earn 4k per month?

What happens when the white envelopes appear?

What happens when the family hit her up for money?

Hope it goes well, as you know, the grass "is" greener in Thailand (rather than the UK, my birthplace).

Depends on what you want out of life.

My mother has known for a long time that I would be going to live in Thailand, I do have other members of the family that can take care of her, it I was to get badly ill I would return to get free treatment from the NHS as I have been paying my NI for over 28 years so I might aswell get smething back from them.

I will be looking for PT teaching work when I arrive this will cover the cost for my son, also remember my wife will have around 4000 income coming in per month so this will help also.

It doesn't matter how long you have paid into the NHS once you have been out of the country for three months then you are not covered unless you go back and commit to being resident in the UK for the following six months.

Like others have said don't even think about living here without a good insurance or a couple of million baht in the bank. And I am sure if you saw the govt hospitals over here, where you step out of the lift and have to wind your way between the mattresses laid out on the corridor floors, and family members have to stay 24hours to look after you because the nurses have no time. Think again mate..

I am not saying don't move over here but just to make sure you get insurance cover. A good cover will probably add another six or seven thousand onto your monthly list but you really need to consider that.

HL

It is going to be very tight for you. If you have plenty of free times and free spaces on your yard, I suggest doing some garden and growing your own vegetables such as cucumber, green bean, eggplant, corn, cabbage, lettuce etc. They are very easy to grow and they will help keep the cost of food down.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A 26k budget is liveable, but not enjoyable. Not the type of budget I would like to raise a family on (Although yes, you can definitely do it, so long as you stick to it).

I would definitely recommend working as a teacher while you're over here, for all of the positive reasons which have been mentioned, but also because of course the money will mean you can have a much better standard of living.

Alternatively, writing articles online can provide a little bit of additional income.

Also as mentioned by others, learning to ride a motorcycle is invaluable, you'll have a few accidents now and then, but probably nothing to serious, the convenience is worth it! I had never driven a motorcycle until I came to Thailand, and I was too scared to try for the first 6 months I was here. It wasn't until I moved to the countryside that I decided to get one (Else it'd be a longgg walk to the market each night lol). The tests and what not are super easy, and in general it's pretty safe so long as you're just driving around town (All of my near death experiences have been while driving on the open road, not within a town/city.)

Blimey, your an optimist aren't you.

Lets be positive please, that is what life is about is it not?

Jason, don't listen to these people that tell you that "the sky is falling down".

If you don't do it you will eternally live in regret.

GO FOR IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AA64eCt2zs

Yeah sure great idea, if he was on his own go for it.

The difference is he is some sort of middle aged guy with a wife and a couple of kids in tow.

Whats the rush to come over here?

Thailand aint going anywhere, will still be here when his pension kicks in, if he actually gets it and the goalposts havent been moved, never mind the exchange rates and inflation.

Talk about abandonment of all responsibility.

Wait til he gets a bill for 15k for root canal treatment, 6k for a new water pump, etc etc etc

Bringing a little girl here to condemn her, why bother writing it, go for it.

25k per month to keep a family of 4.

Heres a tip, cancel your plans, come here for a holiday, keep your credit card in the UK and see how far you get on 25k per month.

Written from one who lives here and is well aware of costs.

edit, just read, my wife will have an income of 4k per month, <deleted>, I spend more than that on a night out.

If you are really so reliant on 4k per month, best of luck to you, you will need it.

What happens if your wife doesnt earn 4k per month?

What happens when the white envelopes appear?

What happens when the family hit her up for money?

Fair points but you do need to get your facts right first of all I only have 1 kid to look after, my wife's daughter works and will live with us and will pay her way, by the way I do have a emergency money of around 15kGBP which some can be used for maintenance of the house and other bits so I am not worried about that, I also have a TEFL cert so I can work if I want .

Also I have 26k not 25k and with the wife working will bring our budget to 30k per month plus she will get money from her daugther as well every month, I have also posted this subject on another forum and one guy is the same as me but with a car also and he gets buy on on less than 35k a month and is very happy

What the hell do you spend 4k+ on a night out in Issan on beacause I have have taken 14 people out for meal & drinks and the bill was less than 2500.

my wife aready has a job set up and if that goes tits up then she will get another like most people do.

When the white envelopes appear I do what I always do give and give 100 baht most Thai's just put 20 baht, but then again I know silly farangs that put 1000 baht and try to show off how rich they are

My wifes family are all working in Bangkok now and have good jobs, my wifes mother works and lives right next to us and has only ask me for money once in 12 years, which she paid back, so I am not worried about her family unlike some people I know who like hold parties and buy drinks for the guys in the village I stopped that years ago, When I was there last year some of her family came down to see us and they brought the food & drink which was the other way around when I first used to go up to the village to stay

And about my pension if your read I said it was a company pension not the state pension so why would the goalsposts move, I know the government has changed the state pension age for me I have to wait to I am 68 and I bet this will rise to 70+

You need a degree to work In a government or private school. Sure they might still employ you without, but you will then be working illegally without a work permit.

Different rules for Universities. They can take into consideration work experience.

Attitudes change when your living here full time especially those of the family members. It is believed we have a limitless self filling pot of gold. I accept you are not a novice re all things Thai and hope your dream comes true BUT expect the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nice to see a thread where teaching is treated positively with no-one taking a pop!

Not a teacher myself but can't understand the animosity that often creeps out on TV (I can have some pretty good guesses though!)

This is what I am thinking of but only PT so should get around 8-10K extra per month

Good idea, although don't sell your self short... not saying teaching is an easy job, but you may be able o work with the school to schedule classes for only 3 or 4 days a week and still make more than you are advising below...

Had a friend a few years back that was a teacher and remember him telling me he worked out deal with a school where he would work 3 days a week with full classes (pretty much all day) with just an hour break for lunch

So around 18 class room hours or week and was paid 25k per month

Not to mention teachers can get some serious holidays, if not working during semester breaks... Can end up with aprox 3.5 months off once you add it all up

Just to add to the above.. He advised that he was still considered full time and gonna work permit..

H advised that when he interviewed for the position the school advised him I the low salary... But rather than just turning them down, he countered with this idea to the school admin...

He told them he would accept the position and the salary offered, on the condition they could schedule all his classes during 3 days a week and that he would not need to come to the school on the days he did not have any classes...

Just to add to the above.. He advised that he was still considered full time and gonna work permit..

H advised that when he interviewed for the position the school advised him I the low salary... But rather than just turning them down, he countered with this idea to the school admin...

He told them he would accept the position and the salary offered, on the condition they could schedule all his classes during 3 days a week and that he would not need to come to the school on the days he did not have any classes...

This sounds like a very good idea, I was planning of getting a PT teaching job, which a friend of mine done in Ubon and he got paid 10k a month for 2 days a week. My 2 sister in laws also want me to teach there children English (3 of them) I was looking at doing this over the weekends for a few hours each day so this would bring in a little extra as I will charge them by the hour but not much as they are family, this is why I don't want a FT positon in a school otherwise I will not have anytime to myself and be working 7 days a week, but I like the idea about 3 days a week with FT hours will have a look into this thanks again for the advice

You need a degree to work In a government or private school. Sure they might still employ you without, but you will then be working illegally without a work permit.

Different rules for Universities. They can take into consideration work experience.

Attitudes change when your living here full time especially those of the family members. It is believed we have a limitless self filling pot of gold. I accept you are not a novice re all things Thai and hope your dream comes true BUT expect the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I fully undersand they thinking we have all the money in the world, but as my wife has been living in the UK for almost 5 years now she knows how expensive it is and has explained this to her family ,which I think they now understand, when they come to visit us it's all about sharing if I buy some drinks they will also buy some in return which is a lot different to when I first came here and I was buying everything

Yes this worries me a bit about the work permit but I have not heard of any horror stories when people get cought but I may be wrong here.

Interesting thread and I agree with most that has been said. My view is by what the OP wants to do he can survive on 12000 thb a month so the extra can be used to improve his standard of living. The cost that were put down such as electricity would be no more than 650 thb (withoutAC) a month and water about 60thb . if you cook at home the cost of food would be a lot less than 9000 thb. The one thing that could cause a big problem is inflation which could be bad here in the next few years . So there is only your capacity to live in the village. Some people love it others cannot handle it but you have to live there for a time to find out about yourself. All I can say is you have it all worked out so you will not have any problems. As far as the company pensions go , they can change the goal posts on them . they alter the tax system. So wish you all the best

Interesting thread and I agree with most that has been said. My view is by what the OP wants to do he can survive on 12000 thb a month so the extra can be used to improve his standard of living. The cost that were put down such as electricity would be no more than 650 thb (withoutAC) a month and water about 60thb . if you cook at home the cost of food would be a lot less than 9000 thb. The one thing that could cause a big problem is inflation which could be bad here in the next few years . So there is only your capacity to live in the village. Some people love it others cannot handle it but you have to live there for a time to find out about yourself. All I can say is you have it all worked out so you will not have any problems. As far as the company pensions go , they can change the goal posts on them . they alter the tax system. So wish you all the best

Archived