Emergency Phone Number: What is it?

rcox81

wornoutcowboy, on 08 Feb 2014 - 10:29, said:Quote

The usage of the word faggot is very, very derogatory. You are clearly very homophobic and I will find it rather amusing when "the little faggot" shows up and demands more money. You deserve to be extorted. Rot in pieces!

Sometimes I wonder what we ever did before PC...................20x20xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.we

Perhaps the offender was gay? If it was me, apart from paying him, I think I would be extremely derogatory towards him as well.................20x20xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.w

AFAIK, the term wasn't directed at you, stop being paranoid, less of the hissy fits please.

One of the great things about moving from the capital of PC, Australia, to live here is that I can basically talk in any terms I want without the thought police on my case. Faggot doesn't seem much of a derogatory term to me, especially as it is being used to talk about a Thai goon.

If you poor dears out there can't handle certain words or phrases without a PC dummy spit, then go back to the US, or Oz or the UK..you'll be protected from the nasty name callers, there.

Voltaire would be turning in his grave if he heard half of the whinging about name calling nowadays.

Oh my! Who is having a dummy spit now??

I wonder what subculture you come from. Probably from the fat gutted, beer swilling ugly group who cannot get a girl back in OZ......... WAIT! That is not possible - you were able to pretentiously mention Voltaire - who in fact was very much against the intolerence you now display. If he was not turning before then there is certainly some ground disturbance occurring somewhere in France right now.

• Like 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<deleted> ? - this is exactly why this happens - you dug into your pocket immediately - how long you been here in Thailand ? - stand your ground and be a man about yourself - this is why the Thai think they can do anything at anytime with Farangs - OMG!! - I thought I had read just about everything on TV

maybe he is working for a loan shark got the wrong house,but those guys are generally on motorsai's 2 up,even so i fail to understand why you gave him money,was you wife or gf not around,this is why i feel secure living in my wife's village,she knows everyone around us and if anyone tried this the neighbours would come from everywhere and see them off.

Obviously a wind up thread. 6 pages in and the supposedly incensed OP hasn't responded.

Haha, yes, it was obvious several pages ago that the OP is a troll. Still, it's been entertaining to see all the armchair tough guys come out of the woodwork and blabber on about how they would have "handled" the "situation," if it did indeed exist...

And the OP has still not logged on (31 hours after making the post) but stil people are trying to offer him advice. facepalm.gif

wornoutcowboy, on 08 Feb 2014 - 10:29, said:Quote

The usage of the word faggot is very, very derogatory. You are clearly very homophobic and I will find it rather amusing when "the little faggot" shows up and demands more money. You deserve to be extorted. Rot in pieces!

Sometimes I wonder what we ever did before PC...................20x20xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.we

Perhaps the offender was gay? If it was me, apart from paying him, I think I would be extremely derogatory towards him as well.................20x20xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.w

AFAIK, the term wasn't directed at you, stop being paranoid, less of the hissy fits please.

One of the great things about moving from the capital of PC, Australia, to live here is that I can basically talk in any terms I want without the thought police on my case. Faggot doesn't seem much of a derogatory term to me, especially as it is being used to talk about a Thai goon.

If you poor dears out there can't handle certain words or phrases without a PC dummy spit, then go back to the US, or Oz or the UK..you'll be protected from the nasty name callers, there.

Voltaire would be turning in his grave if he heard half of the whinging about name calling nowadays.

Oh my! Who is having a dummy spit now??

I wonder what subculture you come from. Probably from the fat gutted, beer swilling ugly group who cannot get a girl back in OZ......... WAIT! That is not possible - you were able to pretentiously mention Voltaire - who in fact was very much against the intolerence you now display. If he was not turning before then there is certainly some ground disturbance occurring somewhere in France right now.

Wrong. Fitness centres and mountain bikes. Not fat or beer swilling. Had 2 wives in Oz. Friends with both. Now got one here. Nice girl.

I suppose you like to pin personalities, body shapes, etc on somebody because they don't fit in with your expectations. I don't agree with you..GET IT??? I'm allowed to not agree with you...That is not intolerance. How you can call somebody intolerant because they have an opinion different to you is beyond me, but your type of Lefty PC types are usually full of righteous indignation against people who think differently..

Anyway...You had the dummy spit..i was right about that..You can now watch the BBC/ABC, read the Guardian and feel smugly satisfied that you identified another of those damned bigot/racist/fascists, who won't toe the line..

I won't be responding to any further dummy spits from you either, so you can have the last word, if you want..

Going to swill a couple of coldies now.coffee1.gif

Obviously a wind up thread. 6 pages in and the supposedly incensed OP hasn't responded.

Haha, yes, it was obvious several pages ago that the OP is a troll. Still, it's been entertaining to see all the armchair tough guys come out of the woodwork and blabber on about how they would have "handled" the "situation," if it did indeed exist...

And the OP has still not logged on (31 hours after making the post) but stil people are trying to offer him advice. facepalm.gif

I think not so much... Even if it's just a wind-up OP, a discussion about this kind of incident is probably a good thing before it happens to any of us.

I would hope that some folks realize (myself included) that their first instinct may not be the course of action that results in the desired outcome. And possibly think twice before getting themselves in a situation they never anticipated, nor want.

• Like 1

I think not so much... Even if it's just a wind-up OP, a discussion about this kind of incident is probably a good thing before it happens to any of us.

I would hope that some folks realize (myself included) that their first instinct may not be the course of action that results in the desired outcome. And possibly think twice before getting themselves in a situation they never anticipated, nor want.

Your post does not make sense.

If it's a wind up then the situation did not happen, no-one on here has ever heard of this kind of incident happenning (probably because it it never has happened), so you are saying (in other words), we should discuss an event that never happens in case it does happen but it won't.

Would it not be more productive to discuss the effects that would occur to Thai Visa members if Yorkshire was granted autonomy and decided to use the penguin as their national symbol (just in case it does happen)?

• Like 1

If it's a wind up then the situation did not happen, no-one on here has ever heard of this kind of incident happenning (probably because it it never has happened), so you are saying (in other words), we should discuss an event that never happens in case it does happen but it won't.

Would it not be more productive to discuss the effects that would occur to Thai Visa members if Yorkshire was granted autonomy and decided to use the penguin as their national symbol (just in case it does happen)?

I agree with you. Although normally the OP would have figured out how to incorporate the political views of the aggressor to be a typical TV story. For example, saying the extortionist and his chums were all wearing chartreuse shirts and we all know how corrupt and nasty chartreuse shirts are!

Edited by thailiketoo

You yourself have pointed out one piece of useful information from the thread. Nobody has posted that it's happened to them. And to further my case, have a look at these threads..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697364-can-i-kill-a-burglar/page-4?hl=%2Bkill+%2Bburglar#entry7326720

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/559283-american-stabbed-to-death-by-burglar/?hl=%20kill%20%20burglar

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703190-stupid-action-by-me/

So I still contend that it's useful to discuss the ramifications of burglars, violence and the best course of action before I'm confronted with the situation.

If you disagree, quit reading and don't waste your time posting.

It seems not many posters are actually answering the question of the title. Is 191 an emergency number for the police in the same way that 999 is in the UK or 911 in the US, or will it just lead to an empty office or answer phone message?

What I take from the lack of definitive response is that the best number to call is the number of a local friend/coworker, preferably Thai- and preferably close by.

With cell phones being always on, the chances of getting through to a local friend is a lot higher than calling any emergency numbers that may or may not work- especially since there's a good chance I'll only get in a single call.

My friend/coworker will be in a much better position to alert the popo and/or bring in the cavalry than I will be if I'm focusing on dealing with the intruder.

You yourself have pointed out one piece of useful information from the thread. Nobody has posted that it's happened to them. And to further my case, have a look at these threads..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697364-can-i-kill-a-burglar/page-4?hl=%2Bkill+%2Bburglar#entry7326720

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/559283-american-stabbed-to-death-by-burglar/?hl=%20kill%20%20burglar

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703190-stupid-action-by-me/

So I still contend that it's useful to discuss the ramifications of burglars, violence and the best course of action before I'm confronted with the situation.

If you disagree, quit reading and don't waste your time posting.

Yoou really are scraping the barrel here.

None of these posts are about someone comming to a front door and demanding monies by menace.

In fact none of these threads are in any way related to the situation that the OP reports.

Honestly, there is no point in me discussing this matter further with someone who cannot grasp even the basic concept of what I'm saying.

So, TTFN.

Edited by tonytigerbkk

It seems not many posters are actually answering the question of the title. Is 191 an emergency number for the police in the same way that 999 is in the UK or 911 in the US, or will it just lead to an empty office or answer phone message?

Supposed to be.

But the nature of the police and other emergency responders is so fundamentally difference, it is 99% less effective.

But not quite as bad as your either/or second choice.

As I mentioned, if you pre-pay for good service you will be given better numbers to call, and they may or may not be as fast, but at least they will be (more likely to be) on your side.

Having a posse of mates nearby will certainly be cheaper and possibly more effective.

But there is no "solution" to this sort of thing that wouldn't have unintended consequences.

As far as I know if any one walks into your home uninvited then you can end them in self defense of your life and home.

Please can some one tell me if this is correct because if this had been me he would be dead by now.

Other than the fact that he would not be able to do it again to me or someone else he also would not be able to talk about it.

No idea about the actual laws (but what would be the point in knowing that anyway, everything's far too 'flexible' here), but an ex-GF of mine had an intruder at her family home in Nakon Phatom a few years ago. A relatively affluent family, and [as far as I gather] pretty well respected (and connected) in the area.

The story I got was that the burglars were startled by her dad rushing down the stairs, so they ran. He shot one of them in the leg as they exited. The BIBs came, injured Gerbil sprawled out on the lawn, and the following happened: BIB had the burglar taken to hospital and GF's dad taken to station. Somewhere through the dark-network the burglar was also connected and so the GF's dad was 'advised' to pay the hospital fees and let this incident lie...who will ever know exactly what happened or who was who, but the point is her dad's connections weren't as 'useful' as I'm sure he thought they were, otherwise he would have [rightly] been considered the victim.

I don't wish this to happen to anyone and I feel for the house owner BUT he should not have shot the intruder if he was already running away. At that point there is no risk to you, your life or your property. A farmer in the UK some years ago got tired of being burgled, one night when they returned he confronted them, they ran, he shot one into back who died and the other in the leg.

Because they were fleeing the scene he got prosecuted and went to prison,, big uproar in the UK at that time with people supporting the farmer. But he should not have killed the guy as he ran away.

He did his time with no remorse and made it very clear he would do it again..

Is it just me or after 7 pages of comments, advice the poster rco81 has not answered a single post?? 7 pages and not one word in defense, thanx, or anything - Move along folks, nothing new here

whistling.gifrolleyes.gif

Heck, we gave up on the OP pages ago. But who needs 'im anyway.

Now we're having a discussion among ourselves.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I am sorry about your problem with this very nasty "HEISTER". However there is no need to use the term "faggot" which is a really insulting term for gay people. A faggot is a piece of firewood that you burn and that is what often happened to gays a long time ago - hence the reason sexists call them by that term.

Faggot means many things but I understand what you say in the UK for example I used to go buy myself a packet of faggot every week it is like a meatball in a sauce the scots love them .

Everybody understands the intended meaning in this case. If you get held up by some thug you are unlikely to call him "a bowl of meatballs".

I can understand and sympathise with crazykopite re this occurrence. I am merely drawing attention to the fact that it is not necessary to denigrate one section of the community. There are many other colourful and vicious adjectives that I can think of to call this standover man.

Certainly hope I don't ruffle feathers from calling a spade a spade by pointing out that the only thing seems to fit this scenario, is that in fact this little "faggot" most likely should be more accurately described as the little faggot pimp. That way I think we lose the homophobic connotation and everybody's much happier. Except me when I hear something about racial intolerance for spades, maybe profiling or more, indiscriminate use of the word faggot and pimp together. wai2.gif

Edited by silent

Is there anymore interest in the thread title/topic?

That is, what I find:

191 police

199 fire brigade

1669 medical emergency

1155 tourist police

Fortunately, I've never had to call 191 or 199....

But I've always wondered, if I DID have to call them, is anyone at the other end going to be capable of speaking any English?

Probably...NO! sad.png

All joking aside you would likely only get an English speaker during "business hours", maybe 8am-5pm.....

First ask if he is a cop. Then ... if not... produce a 12 gauge and level it at him. If you don't have a shot gun then grab your camera and tell him that you want to have some pictures so you can prove you already 'donated' to his favorite charity (take lots of him, the car, the gal inside even and the surrounds. If you cannot get your hands on your camera... then just start laughing and dancing around the room. If he still demands the money... throw it at him and as he starts to collect it from the floor...beat the snot out of him.> be nice about it though. Use a really large book so as to not leave any marks. But others are right... you should not simply hand money over to any old nut job. If they have a badge... ask why they are 'asking'. If not show them the door and smile. But a 12 gauge is a very good mediator. Cheap to get one and you don't even have to aim. Just remember that the law here is far different than at home... so I say all of this with humor. Just take pictures and call the local plod and tell them you have just gone to the bank and have 1000bht left. They will be right there to collect it.

Its funny how most of the post's have been calling the guy a weakling and a coward describing how they would have dealt with the situation. The OP also saying what he should have done or would do if it happened again.

I bet 90% of the people in here making those comments would have ended up face down in the dirt.

You guys do what you want. Some guy with a potential entourage waiting in the car barges in to my home and demands money here in Thailand, I'm handing him 3000 just to get it over with no bloodshed- his or mine.

That's the first time.

I'll have a lot more information and a plan the second time.

$100 isn't a lot to hand over to avoid getting shot, stabbed or (if you play the Rambo card and win) jailed.

Agreed. Maybe not face down in the dirt, but likely in the hospital emergency with a belly wound from a dirty knife.....and a hospital bill for likely more than 3000 measly frikkin' baht!

The OP is not a wuss or a pussy or a weakling. He did the right thing by not escalating the confrontation to a violent/physical one. Perhaps he could have tried to "persuade" the scumbag that he had no money and would he now kindly leave his premises but I'm guessing the perp doesn't speak much English so that would be a waste of time anyhow.

Now he needs to be prepared for any possible "next time". Beef up the security. Remain within the law.

And now for my rant: As one poster put it and I wholeheartedly agree, I am tired of the animosity here amongst fellow posters. Have some of you absolutely no compassion for others? A man felt his life was threatened, and it may well have been, can you be certain it wasn't? All the "tough guys" posting that they would have beaten him down and sent him on his way tail between his legs, give me a break! Most of you types are the ones we ultimately see cowering in tears after a smack to the face, "please don't hurt me" tough guys you are! Sure. And if you are stupid enough to fight someone that you know absolutely nothing about you are as dumb as you likely look! And that goes for any country. I"m guessing the little Thai guy if he couldn't Muay Thai the kids ass all over the front yard would still be able to put up a really dirty street fight at least and come back some friends to finish off what needed to be.

So don't be tough, don't be stupid and don't be macho. Be smart and survive. It's 3000 measly baht.

And for those posters who don't believe me, give me your addresses please, I will send over my little Muay Thai friend who will gladly kick your <deleted> for 2000 baht each + 1000 for his manager (me). See how tough ya really are.

Yes, hard to believe this is a random incident, must be more to it maybe the OP just doesn't know yet.

Remember the BiB is a money-making operation - AFAIK you have to set up a personal arrangement with the local plod and make regular payments if you want/expect them to just drop everything and show up at the drop of a hat. In which case you'll be given a number to call.

In the eight years I have been here, I have never heard of anything like this. Are you saying it is common practice for the BiB to come and expect regular payments in return for them helping you if you need it?

Correct. My condo pays the Thai police 30,000 baht a year. When I asked the manager in astonishment

about why my association money was going to the police instead of improvements, she told me that

unless the police were paid, they would not come if there was an emergency.

• Like 2

I agree that he should not use this term, but he wasn't actually using the term to mean gay. (He noted that the guy perhaps had a girlfriend with him.)

That doesn't make it right, of course, but perhaps a softer tone would be appropriate to point out the problem with the term since he wasn't actually referring to homosexuals.

So if I used the N-word to refer to dark-skinned Thais, that would be less offensive than using it for people of African descent?

I don't think so.

I think he absolutely intended to imply that the smaller, thinner man was less "manly" than himself, even though he was the one caving in to intimidation without any apparent reason.

Edited by wym

never say never ......

I am sorry about your problem with this very nasty "HEISTER". However there is no need to use the term "faggot" which is a really insulting term for gay people. A faggot is a piece of firewood that you burn and that is what often happened to gays a long time ago - hence the reason sexists call them by that term.

Oh please it's just a pejorative, get a life!

Yes, hard to believe this is a random incident, must be more to it maybe the OP just doesn't know yet.

Remember the BiB is a money-making operation - AFAIK you have to set up a personal arrangement with the local plod and make regular payments if you want/expect them to just drop everything and show up at the drop of a hat. In which case you'll be given a number to call.

In the eight years I have been here, I have never heard of anything like this. Are you saying it is common practice for the BiB to come and expect regular payments in return for them helping you if you need it?

Correct. My condo pays the Thai police 30,000 baht a year. When I asked the manager in astonishment

about why my association money was going to the police instead of improvements, she told me that

Sounds good to me. 100 units 2000 per month maintenance fee. 30,000 seems really cheap for police protection.

Every other city has fees for police and fire protection. I would think you are getting a good deal.

In the States Donut shops never get robbed.biggrin.png

Sounds good to me. 100 units 2000 per month maintenance fee. 30,000 seems really cheap for police protection.

Every other city has fees for police and fire protection. I would think you are getting a good deal.

Yet another topic done to death, but still attracts the key board warriors.Get a job.

Yet another topic done to death, but still attracts the key board warriors.Get a job.

My job allows me time to post on the internet as apparently does yours and you also qualify for key board warriors combat pay I hope.

I couldn't tell from your post but was the done to death topic, "Donut shops never get robbed."

You may feel free to correct me but I've never seen that topic on Thai Visa before.

Edited by thailiketoo