Emergency Phone Number: What is it?

rcox81

Yes, hard to believe this is a random incident, must be more to it maybe the OP just doesn't know yet.

Remember the BiB is a money-making operation - AFAIK you have to set up a personal arrangement with the local plod and make regular payments if you want/expect them to just drop everything and show up at the drop of a hat. In which case you'll be given a number to call.

In the eight years I have been here, I have never heard of anything like this. Are you saying it is common practice for the BiB to come and expect regular payments in return for them helping you if you need it?

Correct. My condo pays the Thai police 30,000 baht a year. When I asked the manager in astonishment

about why my association money was going to the police instead of improvements, she told me that

unless the police were paid, they would not come if there was an emergency.

Sounds good to me. 100 units 2000 per month maintenance fee. 30,000 seems really cheap for police protection.

Every other city has fees for police and fire protection. I would think you are getting a good deal.

In the States Donut shops never get robbed.biggrin.png

Great point !!! Wait a minute, if the police are able to raise their operating capital

from shaking down businesses, that means they will no longer need funding from

the government ...... Good news for the government as it appears they are broke.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the eight years I have been here, I have never heard of anything like this. Are you saying it is common practice for the BiB to come and expect regular payments in return for them helping you if you need it?

Correct. My condo pays the Thai police 30,000 baht a year. When I asked the manager in astonishment

about why my association money was going to the police instead of improvements, she told me that

unless the police were paid, they would not come if there was an emergency.

Sounds good to me. 100 units 2000 per month maintenance fee. 30,000 seems really cheap for police protection.

Every other city has fees for police and fire protection. I would think you are getting a good deal.

In the States Donut shops never get robbed.biggrin.png

Great point !!! Wait a minute, if the police are able to raise their operating capital

from shaking down businesses, that means they will no longer need funding from

the government ...... Good news for the government as it appears they are broke.

Bangkok cop wage 14,070 baht, NYC cop wage, 90,750 baht. So who will make up the difference? They put a key box in front of your house or use other means to adjust wages.

NYPD salary starts at $44744 for rookies and increases to $46288 after 6 months.

THB 123K

before any overtime

But irrelevant to Thai labor market anyway

It is not irrelevant to the Thai labor market. You pay peanuts you get monkeys. What is the average wage in the US compared to a cops wage? Then the same thing for a Thai. Since you come up with higher numbers than me, you can do it.biggrin.png

Looks to me like they're around the same proportionally, right about average for the nation.

Paying the cops more won't affect corruption in itself IMO, once greed has set in there is never "enough".

Need to have actual detection/enforcement and real penalties, ie jail time, not just relocation to an inactive post.

Not a practical idea in this country unless the general population starts to care about the issue, and even then will take a miraculous convergence of necessary factors, a benevolent altruistic dictator being IMO one of them.

• Like 1

The usage of the word faggot is very, very derogatory. You are clearly very homophobic and I will find it rather amusing when "the little faggot" shows up and demands more money. You deserve to be extorted. Rot in pieces!

Give it a rest this has been well covered.

• Like 1