Environmental study of Thailand's eastern seaboard planned

webfact

Environmental study of eastern seaboard planned
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Leading Thai environmental groups will conduct a study on ecological issues along coastal areas to help industries control environmental compliance costs and protect marine ecosystems.

The Association of Natural Disaster Prevention Industry, Kasetsart University and Geosyntec Consultants will use the pilot study to devise a conservation program.

Insights gained from the study will be used to help the owners of industrial facilities find the most efficient and cost effective way to achieve environmental compliance.

The study will be conducted largely by Kasetart's Faculty of Fisheries. The exercise is an extension of work conducted by KU's Department of Marine Science, which studied the impact of the oil spill off Rayong last year.

While their research found that the impact of the spill was relatively minor, the study will help create technical and proactive programs to help monitor and protect the environment and safeguard marine ecosystems.

The study will involve collecting and assessing waste emissions data and environmental samples.

The goal is to outline recommendations for an emissions monitoring and control program for coastal industries.

Pran Siamwalla, president of the Association of Natural Disaster Prevention Industry, said: "ANDPI will be the focal point for discussion and coordination with stakeholders.

"We will also coordinate with KU and Geosyntec to provide materials for public briefings and public relations support.

"Geosyntec, a US-based consulting firm with a presence in Thailand, Malaysia and Australia, will provide perspective on how environmental practices from the United States, Australia and Europe can be applied to coastal issues in Thailand."

Assistant Professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat, of KU's Faculty of Fisheries, said the work involved three tasks: compiling onshore emissions and discharge data; identifying onshore marine receptors and human receptors; and assessing toxicology and receptor exposure.

"Upon completion of the third task, the receptor evaluation will serve as a guide to direct the optimal application of available resources to monitor relevant emissions and discharges, implement incremental emission and discharge control measures and steer the preparation of emergency response resources," Thon said.

"This will result in a more efficient and cost-effective selecting of future pollution control and monitoring programs, and a more efficient use of industrial environmental control budgets."

Pran Siamwalla said that once the study was completed, a report would be presented to the media and general public. It would start in the second quarter and was expected to be completed within a year.

Sampling would take place within a relatively small area - about 50 square kilometres along the eastern shore, including the eastern seaboard industrial zone - yet it promised to yield detailed data that could be used as a springboard for future ecological studies.

About 20 scientists would lead the study with the assistance of a team of experts.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-08

• Like 1

A great initiative.

'The goal is to outline recommendations for an emissions monitoring and control program for coastal industries.'

Saraburi is home to a number of Thai and international companies producing cement. Let's hope that any proposed recommendations will be carefully considered and then transparently and thoughtfully implemented, and that big business doesn't simply take the dollar route out of their responsibilites to the environment and people's lives.

After the recent concerns about dust levels in Saraburi http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Saraburi-dust-at-dangerous-level-30198895.html I wonder if the government - any government - will actually do something to clean up the environment and enforce the relevant environment and health laws and guidelines.

I think we all know the answer to my question.

• Like 1

The environmental performance of the PTP has been a total failure , since they have been a political party, they do an all-full lot of talking that has no substance , no management skills , no costing's and no direction, just another talk fest that will to do nothing for the environment. and how they can carry out this study whilst in care taker mode I don't know. bah.gif

• Like 1

The environmental performance of the PTP has been a total failure , since they have been a political party, they do an all-full lot of talking that has no substance , no management skills , no costing's and no direction, just another talk fest that will to do nothing for the environment. and how they can carry out this study whilst in care taker mode I don't know. bah.gif

This isn't a PTP thread, it's a coastal ecology thread. And what's "all-full lot"?

The goal is to outline recommendations for an emissions monitoring and control program for coastal industries.

How long has Mathaput been there? 30 years?

True. And the industry invests money in schools, hospitals and so on, only to keep the residents of this area quiet. Few investments in environmental technology. Have a swim at Jomtien or Pattaya beach and have a swim at Mae Ram Phueng beach, just a few kilometres upstream Rayong. The current pass Rayong towards Sattahip, the difference in water quality is dramatic. The industry knows it, but nothing happens......

Fatfather

Sent from my phone

• Like 1

We used to go to Rayong for weekends... until one weekend the water just looked like one big shit-pool. Unfortunately, my daughter beat me to the sea, but one look at it and I told her to use the swimming pool. Indeed, she came up with spots on her body - the dermo said it was just 'micro-organisms' and she was fine.

I can't really summon the enthusiasm to go back there. Not worth the risks.

Environmental protection takes a big responsibility from society, from the top all the way to the bottom. Thailand has been blessed with stunning diversity and beauty. It's very sad and sad and sad. Wow! Just think of living in Thailand 100 or 200 years ago, if you appreciate nature. It's not just Thailand that has diminished it's natural beauty and diversity in nature, it's all over the world. The money-making machines of business just have to much influence. I'd rather be an ostrich (and put my head in a hole) than think about it too much or I would be libel to follow Sueb Nakhasathien to the grave.

Environmental study of eastern seaboard planned

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Leading Thai environmental groups will conduct a study on ecological issues along coastal areas to help industries control environmental compliance costs and protect marine ecosystems.

Someone must kick Ploddi's behind big time...

I grew up with dramatic changes to the environment in British Columbia, Canada and have good knowledge of the effect

of changes to the environment and how to prevent and modify those effects. In Thailand there needs to be a knowledgeable

force overseeing industry, but there has to be likewise one on the government and public. I feel sad when I see government

construction projects and unlimited public oceanside disturbance on private lands putting vast quantities of silt into the ocean.

Comments will be made that Thailand can't afford proper assessment of seaside disturbance to which I would say maybe

the money being spent has a some questionable priorities..

• Like 1

The environmental performance of the PTP has been a total failure , since they have been a political party, they do an all-full lot of talking that has no substance , no management skills , no costing's and no direction, just another talk fest that will to do nothing for the environment. and how they can carry out this study whilst in care taker mode I don't know.

The OP mentions "Leading Thai environmental groups" with no mention of government. PT has been grossly remiss in never mentioning environmental issues. The only two environmentally related issues I can recall PT mentioning are: {A} building the diversion ditch west of Bkk, which will problematic and wasteful of civic funds, and {B} rescinding the little bit of protection for streams and rivers in northern Thailand - in other words; enabling developers to rape & destroy ever-more terrain.

PT is to environmental husbandry, what dolphins are to skeet shooting. 'Land-use' for PT means scraping it flat, covering it with concrete, and making as much money with it as possible. The only natural habitat for Thailand's next generations will be in pictures.