Bank Acount

mitmig

About 3 years ago I opened a passbook acct. at Siam Commercial on a tourist visa,but I do not know about the new laws as stated by Dr.PP,and health ins. is based on age I think,I am to old to get it but hospital and doctor care are cheap here,so I wouldn't worry.

1 one year ago I opened an account with Siam Commercial without any problems.

1 week ago when I wanted to open another one they said the rules have been changed so you'll need a work permit to be able to open an account. But that's Siam Commercial, don't know about the other ones.

Just talked to a client who moves with Thai wife to Bangkok and arrived here last Saturday. Holds a non-imm O and walked yesterday into 5 different banks with Euro 17K in his hand to open an account. The first 4 refused as no W/P. Bangkok Bank happily took the money and will confirm funds came from outside Thailand, as paid in foreign currency. He also went with wife to immigration office. Will change his visa to 1 year as soons as he brings bank book and the letter. Promised can be done within 10 minutes.

1 week ago when I wanted to open another one they said the rules have been changed so you'll need a work permit to be able to open an account. But that's Siam Commercial, don't know about the other ones.

SCB Head Office were only wanting a Non-Immigrant visa last week. No W/P was required. It seems to vary from bank to bank and branch to branch.

I transfered my passbook acct,at SCB a short while back from CM to where I now live and they didn't ask for a visa of any kind and when I opened it all I had was a tourist visa,So guess it just depends on where you are.

As for health ins.. it is fairly reasonable if you are young enough,,I can't get any at all as I am to old,but then doctors and hospitals don't charge an awfully lot here either.

SCB Head Office were only wanting a Non-Immigrant visa last week. No W/P was required. It seems to vary from bank to bank and branch to branch.

I have never had a work permit and got a restricted bank a/c a while back (no cheque book), with a tourist visa.