Life assurance

Briggsy

My girlfriend (Thai) has a daughter from her previous marriage who lives with the ex-husband's family.

She would like to purchase a life assurance policy so that if she dies, her daughter would receive some financial assistance.

She has no idea where to start so asked me. I have no idea too except a knee-jerk reaction to avoid agents as 20% (?) of any premium payment would automatically go to them.

She would be looking at premiums of less than 1000 Baht per month and paying in for a maximum of 20 years.

Can anyone advise?

I would advise her to talk to an insurance company. There are many in Thailand.

My wife uses AIA, mainly because they have an office near our house and none of the other companies do. smile.png

Thanks for that, I personally was thinking of advising her to talk to someone who was self-employed or a motorbike taxi driver as they may be less biased than someone at an insurance company who would definitely try to sell you some overpriced policy which may be completely inappropriate. (e.g. UK and the PPI scandal)

Of course, the "get 3 quotes" rule applies.

Do you have a link to any kind of comparison site?

I would advise her to talk to an insurance company. There are many in Thailand.

My wife uses AIA, mainly because they have an office near our house and none of the other companies do. smile.png

Thanks for that, I personally was thinking of advising her to talk to someone who was self-employed or a motorbike taxi driver as they may be less biased than someone at an insurance company who would definitely try to sell you some overpriced policy which may be completely inappropriate. (e.g. UK and the PPI scandal)

Of course, the "get 3 quotes" rule applies.

Do you have a link to any kind of comparison site?

I'm not aware of any comparison sites for Thai insurance deals. I don't think the web-based sales market has developed to that extent yet.

The individual companies will obviously try to sell their policies, but after getting quotes, that would be where you might be able to give them the once over and make a recommendation.

There's a lot of ads on TV for 'bragan chiwit' (life insurance) so it would appear to be a fairly competitive market.

You might start the ball rolling by doing a google search for 'life insurance Thailand'

I just came up with these;

https://www.krungthai-axa.co.th/en/about_us_KTB.asp

http://www.aia.co.th/en/

https://www.allianz.com/en/about_us/where_we_are/regions_countries/thailand.html

I'm not sure if they offer what she's looking for, but if you give her a few phone numbers, she could call them and explain what she's hoping to get from them.

Thanks, dutchisaan, girlfriend not requiring health insurance, only life assurance with her daughter as beneficiary. Premiums not exceeding 1000 Baht per month.

She would not like to see her premiums disappear in commission.

Are there any obvious traps to avoid?