Thai Police seek help identifying gunman involved in shooting at Lak Si

webfact

Police seek help identifying gunman involved in shooting at Lak Si
Seksanti Kanlayanawisut
The Nation

30226464-01_big.gif
This is a photo a man suspected of concealing a gun in a plastic popcorn bag during a skirmish between anti-government protesters and pro-election supporters at the Lak Si intersection on February 1, the evening before the election.

BANGKOK: -- Three photos have been uploaded to the National Police spokesman's Facebook page showing the face of a man suspected of using a war weapon concealed by a plastic popcorn bag during the bloody clash involving anti-government protesters at the Lak Si intersection on February 1.

The police spokesman asked that anyone with information on this man send the details to police via a Facebook message.

According to the Erawan Emergency Medical Service Centre of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, seven people were wounded during the exchange of fire at Lak Si and one of them was still in hospital.

On Saturday, two people were hurt when an explosive was hurled into an anti-government rally site in the morning, reports said.

The local newspaper quoted police as saying they suspected the attack was carried out by opponents of the protesters trying to bring down the caretaker government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

The pre-dawn blast at the rally site at the Chaeng Wattana government complex north of Bangkok wounded a demonstrator and a security guard, according to police.

The attack raised tensions following the February 2 snap general election, which was boycotted by the opposition Democrat Party and blocked by anti-government groups in Bangkok and much of the South.

Meanwhile, a police source said the Udon Thani Court has approved arrest warrants for six more men involved in the shooting last month of red-shirt leader Kwanchai Sarakham, also known as Kwanchai Praipana, and one of them has already been detained.

Kwanchai was seriously wounded and will need more surgery.

"But his condition has already improved a lot," Kwanchai's son said yesterday.

According to a member of the investigation team, the six other suspects are soldiers based in Kanchanaburi.

"We will write to their agency. We expect the agency to hand them over in three or five days," the source said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-10

Wow. It seems police are actually trying to arrest somebody. Will probably mean they already found out the person is not a red shirt.

Maybe he's wearing a white shirt, just to bamboozle the BIB.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow. It seems police are actually trying to arrest somebody. Will probably mean they already found out the person is not a red shirt.

Maybe he is, maybe he isnt, does it mean he shouldnt be brought to justice and face the full extent of his crimes whoever he is ? no.

What's going on? I thought the Police only released pictures of someone arrested when they'd already decided who that person in the pictures was going to be . . . ?

New thing... Crimewatch Thailand...otherwise known as, smile youve been caught on camera and now your stuffed pal. People power smile.png

Interesting in other media that PDRC are saying he is Army who came to help them. These pics been circulating for 4 days now so they had time to get story sorted. They will try to spin it as army who just came to help of their own accord. Yeah right.

Some one is going to name him as Army by the look of it. Which means the following happened.

PDRC Hijack ballots, pro-government try to get them released. - ARMY send in squad in order to ensure the ballot papers are not released.

Therefore Army heavily implicated in this as we all new and appears they were helping PDRC to retain the ballot boxes.

No men in black and third hands.... This is the work of Suthep and his allies.

I like how they only mention facebook as the way to send information to the police.

Facebook is the best way as there were thousands, if not millions of pics out there and these guys (as any good cop know) did not just appear and dissapear at Lak Si.

They were other places first, en route and after and this is where they pick them up without masks on.

Police have got quite a few of them now, wonder if they'll get him before he is dissaperared!

So, out of 22 gunmen counted, with the red-shirts starting the firefight, only a single soldier working out of his own believes gets identified? Must be like the DSI, start on the easy cases first. Those involving persons who do not fear the dark, do not hide, and just coincidental are helping anti-government protesters.

So, out of 22 gunmen counted, with the red-shirts starting the firefight, only a single soldier working out of his own believes gets identified? Must be like the DSI, start on the easy cases first. Those involving persons who do not fear the dark, do not hide, and just coincidental are helping anti-government protesters.

How can you be sure he is "working out of his own believes". You are jumping to conclusions.

Also, is there evidence the red shirts started the gunfight? If so I must have missed that. The only thing that seemed to be definite is that a large firecracker was lobbed into the redshirt crowd prior to the gunfight.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I like how they only mention facebook as the way to send information to the police.

Facebook is the best way as there were thousands, if not millions of pics out there and these guys (as any good cop know) did not just appear and dissapear at Lak Si.

They were other places first, en route and after and this is where they pick them up without masks on.

Police have got quite a few of them now, wonder if they'll get him before he is dissaperared!

You may want to distinguish between the police publishing the pictures on Facebook and the police asking to only send tips via a Facebook private message. And yes, I hope they get him too. What are the chances though? It seems arrest teams are put together on a near daily basis, yet I believe no one that broke the law related to the protests has been arrested yet. It's either utter incompetence or there are forces behind the scene working their magic. My money is on the latter.

How can you be sure he is "working out of his own believes". You are jumping to conclusions.

Also, is there evidence the red shirts started the gunfight? If so I must have missed that. The only thing that seemed to be definite is that a large firecracker was lobbed into the redshirt crowd prior to the gunfight.

The BangkokPost has an article today on the identified gunman. It also has some remarks from PDRC co-leader Issara saying he went to Laksi after learning red-shirt hardliner Ko Tee was leading supporters to Laksi. He continues with 'we were sprayed with gunfire arriving'.

Till now these statements are only questioned by pro-government supporters it would seem

What's going on? I thought the Police only released pictures of someone arrested when they'd already decided who that person in the pictures was going to be . . . ?

New thing... Crimewatch Thailand...otherwise known as, smile youve been caught on camera and now your stuffed pal. People power smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Wishful thinking I feel, but surely they must catch THIS guy. I must say it seems strange to me how the Police can put so much effort into catching PDRC thugs but not a thing on even one of the dozens of attacks on the PDRC sites. I do not support either side but it would be nice to be able to see the Police as independent...
  • Like 1

The BangkokPost has an article today on the identified gunman. It also has some remarks from PDRC co-leader Issara saying he went to Laksi after learning red-shirt hardliner Ko Tee was leading supporters to Laksi. He continues with 'we were sprayed with gunfire arriving'.

Till now these statements are only questioned by pro-government supporters it would seem

The article is not clear about who started the gunfight. It does not say if there were shots fired prior to Issara's arrival.

The call for help is along the same lines as the call for help to catch the grenade thrower a few weeks back.

Nothing happened there, so whats likely to happen here?

"with the red-shirts starting the firefight"

Interesting viewpoint rubl, and true to form, anti UDD. Of course it must be true as you were either there or have a reliable source? The first casualty by shooting was a red shirt pro government supporter

One Red Shirt protester was shot in the side of the chest, a flesh wound, entry and exit whole of the bullet visible. Rescue medics sat him on the back of a motorcycle and drove him out of the area. http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/02/07/the-laksi-gunfight/

I'm not saying the UDD did not fire, but according to forensics the shooting was definitely one sided

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamrop Panyakaew, director of the forensic police, said in a press conference today that his force has investigated the ballistics and other evidences in the crime scene to determine the positions of the gunmen.

According to Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamrop, 39 shots have been fired from the position of PCAD protesters, and 3 shots from the direction of pro-election protesters.
Additionally, the police uncovered a large number of bullet cases used by high-powered firearms, such as AK-47, carbine rifles, and a shotgun. Bullet cases of several types of handguns were also found in the scene.
The police will investigate these evidences to identify the suspects on both PCAD and pro-election sides, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamrop said. He added that arrest warrants of the first suspects are "being sought".

I think you're making another leap of the imagination in thinking that the "army" guy is the only suspect they are looking for.

Still say anything as long as it paints either the red shirts or the government in a bad light, eh rubl?

• Like 1

I cant get over all the bitching over this, it doesnt matter whether the gunmen are red shirts or yellow shirts as long as they are caught. There is nothing wrong with protesting but when people start throwing grenades or shooting each other the police have to do their job, not simply make sure their comrades in arms arent the ones indicated. We all know there were reds and yellows involved in this, the police released the red leader so he could flee because they both work for the same boss but the shit has to stop and they need to arrest all those involved, not just one side.

The article is not clear about who started the gunfight. It does not say if there were shots fired prior to Issara's arrival.

K. Issary seemed to be 'welcomed' by gunfire approaching the intersection.

Anyway, read 'all' about it here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701357-rival-groups-clash-at-lak-si/