House Structural Engineer

fredjones

Hi All

Can anyone recommend a house structural engineer? Our warranty on our house from the developer is nearing the end and I want to have an expert review the structure, wiring, plumbing and also possible pest problems for any defects or potential future problems and get them documented for the developer to fix. I've tried through some family contacts in Chiang Mai but can find any engineer who wants to do it. Cheers

If you don't have any obvious defects and the warranty is expiring, why are you looking for problems now. Not to mention minor problems won't be repaired and you might just end up in court for years over them. Is it really worth it?

Nobody wants to do it because if they find problems they are tossed into the middle of a shit storm. Same if they do not find problems and some come up later. It is a no win situation for them. It is also incredibly difficult to do all the things you are asking.

You should have hired a "consultant" engineer or engineers to monitor the construction so they could see it repeatedly during the building process and blow the whistle if it was not right. That is the Thai way with construction but maybe it was all done before you bought it in which case you should have had it inspected before you bought it.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

The best surveyor for the job is you, the home owner.

I started life as a building surveyor and your best tool is your eyes.

The fancy boroscopes and tell tales merely confirm or quell a suspicion.

The most difficult job a surveyor has is to use ladders to get into a roof or put on overalls to go do a manhole. If you can do that then do it.

If you suspect insect infestation then call out the pest control, if you can see what you would say are structural cracks don't panic, most cracking here is early settlement or the render shrinkage.

If you are concerned about anything particular after you look yourself pm me and I will gladly appraise the situation for you......for a beer!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

The best surveyor for the job is you, the home owner.

I started life as a building surveyor and your best tool is your eyes.

The fancy boroscopes and tell tales merely confirm or quell a suspicion.

The most difficult job a surveyor has is to use ladders to get into a roof or put on overalls to go do a manhole. If you can do that then do it.

If you suspect insect infestation then call out the pest control, if you can see what you would say are structural cracks don't panic, most cracking here is early settlement or the render shrinkage.

If you are concerned about anything particular after you look yourself pm me and I will gladly appraise the situation for you......for a beer!

Hi,

I am purchasing a house with a lot of hairline cracks in the outside walls. I know I should have done a more thorough inspection a lot sooner but better late than never. We have the standard 1 yr. warranty so I guess if it really is a big enough issue we can back out of the deal. I would appreciate it if you have the time to come have a look and I'd gladly buy you a beer. :-)

PM me if you're interested.

Steven

Good luck with the house Steven hopefully your concerns are now eased.

@fredlee hope your house is also still standing.

The coincidence here is that both houses i viewed were on exactly the same moo baan at the high end of the spectrum.

Excellent houses on excellent moo baan.

Nobody wants to do it because if they find problems they are tossed into the middle of a shit storm. Same if they do not find problems and some come up later. It is a no win situation for them. It is also incredibly difficult to do all the things you are asking.

You should have hired a "consultant" engineer or engineers to monitor the construction so they could see it repeatedly during the building process and blow the whistle if it was not right. That is the Thai way with construction but maybe it was all done before you bought it in which case you should have had it inspected before you bought it.

And speaking of that, does anyone have anybody to recommend, for an inspection prior to buying?

Edited by Awk