Forum upgrade in progress! ×

good quality wallet, where to buy?

Awk

Has anyone found any local shops selling good quality wallets?

Bought one with (supposed) Stingray skin on the outside a long time ago (looked cool), but it started breaking up after a year or so, so not looking to repeat that purchase.

I guess Central/Robinson would have it, but if anyone knows of some more local shop selling good quality wallets, I would be happy to hear it.

With kind regards.

And don't forget the sunday markets.

There are some great quality leather goods made by the same craftsmen that have those small shops....and need another selling outlet.

Just remember those at department stores are all machine cut and stitched and probably more likely to fall apart before a hand made one.

Anyway do you have anything to put in it.

Seriously my best wallet is a bulldog clip. Perfect for clipping notes and your makro and tesco card. 3bt does same job.

I bought mine at Central several years ago and still going strong.

+1

Got a fantastic name brand pure leather wallet at a 50% sale at Central a few years ago. Still in perfect condition.

Bought another at a market (said "Made in Vietnam") to keep some business cards in the car. After about 6 months it got moldy and disintegrated.

I've been a fan of Jacob brand wallets, sold in Robinson's, for many years. Mine is stuffed with credit/loyalty cards and cash and holds up for many years. I've given many as gifts when I return to the US....everyone seems pleased with them, even after a year or two or more of use.

Not cheap......but soft from the start......and come in many styles. About 600-800 baht each.

There are some great quality leather goods made by the same craftsmen that have those small shops....and need another selling outlet.

Just remember those at department stores are all machine cut and stitched and probably more likely to fall apart before a hand made one.

Seriously my best wallet is a bulldog clip. Perfect for clipping notes and your makro and tesco card. 3bt does same job.

Actually I saw the same Stingray-skin wallet that I bought by the local craftsman at the department stores some months later.

I favor the nylon wallets and have been using the same one, made by Pac-safe, for the past 10 years. It's still in perfect condition. Between the humidity of Thailand, and the sweating that goes on during the hotter months, leather in my pocket just doesn't stand a chance of long-term survival. These wallets can also be had in the anti-scanning models so credit cards are safer.

There is a shop now in Kad Suan Kaew on the second floor, next to the rear entrance to Central that sells pack backs and travel gear that now sells these wallets.

• Like 1

Actually I saw the same Stingray-skin wallet that I bought by the local craftsman at the department stores some months later.

I got a Stingray-skin wallet from a shop in the lower level of one of the main buildings along the night bazar. It's 8+ years old and just seems to look better as the years go by.

I got a Stingray-skin wallet from a shop in the lower level of one of the main buildings along the night bazar. It's 8+ years old and just seems to look better as the years go by.

Unfortunately that was not my experience, but admittedly I am not overly careful with my wallets. The outside (with the Stingray-skin) was holding up, though getting somewhat discoloured, but the inside had developed holes, amongst other places where the coins are kept.

I ended up trying FolkGuitar's suggestion, and bought a pacsafe bi-fold wallet. USD 50 on their website, Baht 2000 in the shop. It does not have a dedicated pocket for coins, but I suspect keeping excessive coins in my wallets has been a contributing factor to them breaking up in the past, so perhaps that is just as well. The wallet is a little higher than I would prefer, but is thin and feels nice. If it breaks too quick, I will probably try a wallet from the mentioned Leather Craft shop.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1

I favor the nylon wallets and have been using the same one, made by Pac-safe, for the past 10 years. It's still in perfect condition. Between the humidity of Thailand, and the sweating that goes on during the hotter months, leather in my pocket just doesn't stand a chance of long-term survival. These wallets can also be had in the anti-scanning models so credit cards are safer.

There is a shop now in Kad Suan Kaew on the second floor, next to the rear entrance to Central that sells pack backs and travel gear that now sells these wallets.

The nylon wallet I bought from REI 15 years ago is still in perfect shape.