pinto bar and restaurant ubon ratchathani

malct

Just had 3 nights in Ubon staying at the T3House which is great value for money and our 2nd time staying in the hotel.

spent the first 2 nights eating in the wrong way, first meal was good, but 2nd meal which was pork curry and rice was not so nice, so decided to tread the streets and to find somewhere that was thai. after walking for what seemed 6 mile, i found the pinto bar which is just around the corner from the wrongway.

Had a great meal at the Pinto, but the rice came about 15 minutes before the main course, So ended up eating the rice first while waiting for the main meal.

I Have to say, great decor and atmosphere with a guy playing his guitar and singing. had a good evening and very chilled out, just like the beer.

Regarding the wrongway, very few customers and maybe the bar would get more business if they offered free pool, Least people would play pool and drink more.

Did more walking around ubon this time, its surprising how big the town is,

Malc

malct, good choice with the T3. I am here right now. It is amazing how much the food scene in Ubon has changed over the last 10 years I have been visiting or living here. There is an amazing amount of restaurants scattered over the city and many of them are very good. I have a list of about 10 I want to try at anyone time.

Thank you for your reply's, Memock, If i had know you were at T3, i would have had a drink with you, i am now in yasothon at the green park, great room for 800 Baht a night.

regarding the maps, I looked at we love ubon site and some of the places have closed now and some places have opened, but after walking miles, i did find a few restaurants, there is one just over the road from the petrol station next to T3 which looked good., so i agree with Dilligad that a new map should be done.

Regarding the wrongway, the menu is so hard to read with the black background, I think a re-look at the business and a up-date, we had our meal and a drink and left, there was nothing keeping us in the place and just went back to T3

Regarding T3, I think they should set aside a little of the car park and have raised decking with a few tables and chairs for people to sit and have a drink outside, it would pay for itself with people buying drinks!!!!

after leaving ubon this morning, We had a trip out to the UBON National park which over looks Lao, it was a great day out, just about killed me walking back up from the waterfall, but some of the views was fantastic.

up to now, Having a good time is Isaan.

malc

Can't say that I enjoyed the food at wrong way and stopped eating there. The atmosphere is a little bit strange for people who live here longer.

They make fish, chirps and other stuff in the same oil, which gives me a hard time.

Any news about the Germans who took over "Peppers"? Thought they'd come up with some decent German food, all I've heard was that they make some copied Mexican stuff now.

I rather like to go to Paad Thai song, on Chajanghoon raod. Fantastic Thai food. Takes three minutes and it's great.-wai2.gif

Duplicate. So I'll just add the further thought that I agree that Wrong Way needs an update (or someone will come into town and do a central falang bar properly*). Same applies to We-luv-Ubon; badly in need of update.

Sorry guys that's gonna make me some enemiescoffee1.gif

*That's not a threat - too much like hard work!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Love Pad Thai. What part of Chayangkhun, Sirchai. It's a long thanon!

Best to explain how to get there is: Let's say you come from Tesco heading towards Thung Si Muang. park. The "Paad Thai song" is right before the traffic light, where you can turn right or left, into Saphasit Road, on the right hand side, before the police box.

And if you go there. please try the little shop next door and buy some Mangoes with sticky rice and coconut milk. Can't live without it anymore. Paad Thai 35 baht, always fresh. Mangoes with coconut milk 45 baht.

It's worth a try, you won't be disappointed.- coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Duplicate. So I'll just add the further thought that I agree that Wrong Way needs an update (or someone will come into town and do a central falang bar properly*). Same applies to We-luv-Ubon; badly in need of update.

Sorry guys that's gonna make me some enemiescoffee1.gif

*That's not a threat - too much like hard work!

I know that I could be thrown in jail for that, but I need to add this. Most "guests" at wrong way are unfortunately cockroaches.

( Sorry didn't men those on two legs, the real ones.)

Once I sat there outside at the bigger table, when a herd of them were crawling on us I flipped one away and it landed INSIDE someone's shirt.w00t.gif

So, we actually killed around a thousand of them and went home pretty exhausted. Ting, the owner has got a huge..aeeh pizza oven, but is not using it. Only Buddha knows why not, as a good pizza would always be sold easily.laugh.png

And paying for a pool seems strange and keeps people away from actually playing it. This place could actually make good money, but they even changed their opening time from 4 pm to 6 pm and some teachers who had their beer there, and didn't come back after that change.

The place could be a good place, but....-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

regarding the wrong way, i have been to the bar a number of times over the last 4 years and first time i was made to feel welcome, Now you walk in, your handed the menu, get your drink, order the food , eat, dink and leave. its not the same any more, maybe its since they made the changes with the bar. ( didn't even get a good bye when leaving)

When we were in during the week, there was a guy telling ting that she needs to put a foot rest along the bottom of the bar to make it more comfortable for the customer, but i dont think she was that interested in what he had to say.

Maybe all it needs is a make over, with a better menu that you can read easy.

The place should be busy with expats, maybe the city is lacking competition.

regarding Ting, She is doing a good job providing a service, but need to change with the times.

Let's not turn this into a we hate WW thread. I have plenty of good mates who love it to death and Ting is great. Just could be so much better.

You're right. Hope that Ting will read that and listen to some suggestions and move on. Great location, parking places, etc....-wai2.gif

• Like 1

WrongWay is my prefered drinking spot in Ubon. Good location, Friendly People, ok food, cold beer, inexpensive wine, and only the losers have to pay at the pool table...............whistling.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • "Good View" - Chinese Thai smart/casual dining - just off the northbound carriageway of the Ring Road overlooking (on the side) of the River Mun. Go south from the Yasothon road (Tha Chaengsanit) intersection, past Central Plaza and do a U-turn after the PTT station. Back up the northbound carriageway a few hundred metres and turn left. Close to something marked as Tha Thang Chokdee on that Google map. Nicest staff in any Ubon restaurant. (ThB300-400). English passable. Picture menu

AT the risk of sounding pedantic is the "Good View" restaurant actually called the "View Moon"??

I followed Santi's excellent directions but could only find the View Moon with it's red direction signs, in Thai, almost every 20 metres.

Edited by Patriot

Bergen?

I'll check it out when I next go to Ubon, Patriot, unless Bergen fills us in meanwhile. Seems likely I just remembered wrongly, since View is the common word in your, and in my recollection of, title. Apologies for the misinfo.

If the restaurant was an open sided square one raised up above the car park road level on the right at the river's edge as you go down a soi from the ring road and there is a car park on the left hand side of the soi at the rivers edge .... then you hit the right spot.

Edited by SantiSuk

Seeing this thread again reminded me to ask Memock - where is Ken's American Bar and Bistro?

Agree about the (solely vegetarian?) Vietnamese restaurant opposite Salon Coffee. Very good (but I've not tried Indochine). I'll repeat my former recommendation's locational details - it's on the South side, western end of Pitchitrangsan, 100 metres short of Chawalanok Road. Modern style glass fronted.

While referring obliquely to coffee places, I've posted this before "Don't miss having coffee in the jungle garden coffee bar in Warin Chamrap - nothing like it in Thailand for ambience. I'd have to post a Google earth map to describe where it is". Patriot - still open and still good? Must check it out again and post location*. When last tried 18 months (?) ago, despite the fact that the owner had sadly died, it was still going strong. Definitely one that tourists (with transport, a love of walking or love of using baht buses) would love.

* Best I can do for now is that if you open the Google map that Memock posted earlier in this thread:
>zoom into Warin (South of the River Mun main bridge)

>find the train station

>note the two yellow-coloured main roads a few hundered meters to the east - Sisaket 2 Road/Satahani Road and Saint Niman Kan Road

>Satahni Road and Saint Niman Kan Road join at the northern end. Within the apex of that join there are two connecting sois which are themselves connected

>Said coffee place is on the bottom (southern) of the two connecting sois to the west of the soi that interconnects those two connecting sois

(phew - wish I hadn't started that one!)

Bergen?

I'll check it out when I next go to Ubon, Patriot, unless Bergen fills us in meanwhile. Seems likely I just remembered wrongly, since View is the common word in your, and in my recollection of, title. Apologies for the misinfo.

If the restaurant was an open sided square one raised up above the car park road level on the right at the river's edge as you go down a soi from the ring road and there is a car park on the left hand side of the soi at the rivers edge .... then you hit the right spot.

Yes you're right Patriot, the name is View Moon. Just had the nambatr translated by my wife. Cheers! smile.png

• "Good View" - Chinese Thai smart/casual dining - just off the northbound carriageway of the Ring Road overlooking (on the side) of the River Mun. Go south from the Yasothon road (Tha Chaengsanit) intersection, past Central Plaza and do a U-turn after the PTT station. Back up the northbound carriageway a few hundred metres and turn left. Close to something marked as Tha Thang Chokdee on that Google map. Nicest staff in any Ubon restaurant. (ThB300-400). English passable. Picture menu

AT the risk of sounding pedantic is the "Good View" restaurant actually called the "View Moon"??

I followed Santi's excellent directions but could only find the View Moon with it's red direction signs, in Thai, almost every 20 metres.

Yes,Patriot, you are correct, the name of the resturant is in fact "View Moon".Great place!

Cheers

Seeing this thread again reminded me to ask Memock - where is Ken's American Bar and Bistro?

Very easy to find, very close to Sapphasit hospital. If you drive along the airport road (leaving the terminal behind you) go through the traffic lights on Uppalisan road and keep going. The next traffic lights are Sapphasit road with the hospital on your left. Go through those lights and Kens is 100m down on the right hand sign. Big sign, can't miss it.

Soon as I catch up on my blog a little more I plan to do a review with a few pics.

Yes,Patriot, you are correct, the name of the resturant is in fact "View Moon".Great place!

Cheers

Thanks Sandgroper ... you've really got to watch this Santisuk bloke, haven't you!!!!!

Love Pad Thai. What part of Chayangkhun, Sirchai. It's a long thanon!

Best to explain how to get there is: Let's say you come from Tesco heading towards Thung Si Muang. park. The "Paad Thai song" is right before the traffic light, where you can turn right or left, into Saphasit Road, on the right hand side, before the police box.

And if you go there. please try the little shop next door and buy some Mangoes with sticky rice and coconut milk. Can't live without it anymore. Paad Thai 35 baht, always fresh. Mangoes with coconut milk 45 baht.

It's worth a try, you won't be disappointed.- coffee1.gif

what is the number on the shop front of paad thai song as that would also help sirchai..

regards scotty