Honda Jazz Vs Toyota Yaris

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Honda Jazz or a Toyota Yaris and just wondering if anyone has any opinions on which they think is better. I'm (hopefully) trading in my Kia Sportage due to lots of problems recently - want a new car but can't afford anything too expensive. I have a dog, so I think a hatchback is better than a regular sedan.

I borrowed my friend's Honda Jazz when my car was out of action and I had to go out of town. Really loved driving it and was great when out of town and trying to pass tracks. Good boot size for a small car, too. However, like the look of the new Yaris and it comes in aqua (colour is important for a girl :o !) but looking at pictures on the internet I don't know what I think of the center mounted instrument panel and the boot looks smaller.

Am going to the Toyota place tomorrow and hopefully can test drive one. If anyone who owns either of these has any info to share, I'd be interested in finding out what you think. Thanks.

Thanks for that - I had searched before posting but couldn't find anything, but have found the topic now. Just confirms what I thought when I went around the car dealers yesterday - the Jazz is better priced and the boot space is way better. The yaris was nice to drive but I know the lack of boot space would be irritating at times so have scrapped the idea of getting a Yaris now. Now also thinking about the Honda City (new version) with the ultra seats that can be put down flat, or the seat part lifted upright which would be handy when taking the dog to the vet. Anyhow, all the car dealers were going to give such a bad trade in price, that I've decided to try and sell mine privately first which gives me a bit more time to think about what I want.

Just to add about the boot space:

I bought a Jazz a few months ago, and have been really impressed with it. At the time i didn't even think too much about boot space. I don't have any kids or pets to cart around. The "magic" seats were just a bonus that i never thought i'd use much.

However, there have been a few occassions now where the Jazz has come in really handy. Recently i bought a 2nd-hand office desk from a friend. Its a big L-shaped desk that detaches into 2 parts. The jazz swallowed it up no problems, with its combination of totally flat folding seats and high ceiling.

I can't think of any other car that could have done this, even a much larger car, except something like a pickup truck. If economy and practicality are high on your list of priorities, i unreservedly recommend the Jazz - plus the Yaris looks like a frog thats been shunted up its rear end ;-)

I just bought the Yaris for my wife. We were looking at a Jazz to start with but I noticed that there were so many new Jazz for sale in the second hand market with only a few thousand kilometers. At first I thought it was becuase they are so popular but then I asked a good friend who works in the auto industry. He said the Jazz is poorly made especially the chasi compared to the Toyota its desigh makes it less stable on the highway and has more road noise. The Toyota has 2 airbags and is the safer care of the 2, also after driving both my wife prefered the Yaris.

I just bought the Yaris for my wife. We were looking at a Jazz to start with but I noticed that there were so many new Jazz for sale in the second hand market with only a few thousand kilometers. At first I thought it was becuase they are so popular but then I asked a good friend who works in the auto industry. He said the Jazz is poorly made especially the chasi compared to the Toyota its desigh makes it less stable on the highway and has more road noise. The Toyota has 2 airbags and is the safer care of the 2, also after driving both my wife prefered the Yaris.

Safety, build quality etc. They're on par with each other. Overall the Jazz is better. We've had both.