Foreign Teachers for the Southern Provinces

Scott

Foreign Teachers to Be Recruited to Teach Foreign Languages in the Three Southern Border Provinces (11/02/2014)

1441135844p.jpgThe Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center has shown its support for a project to recruit foreign teachers to teach at state secondary schools in the three southern border provinces, namely Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat.

The Secretary-General of the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center, Police Colonel Tawee Sodsong, on 10 February 2014 chaired a meeting to discuss the project, with the participation of administrators of various schools in the three provinces.

Police Colonel Tawee cited education as the most important element in the effort to ease southern conflicts. He said that local schools must improve the quality of education, including the integration of basic education with religious study. The Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center will emphasize giving support for education development to tackle problems in the deep South. With the coming of the ASEAN Community in 2015, he stressed the need to promote the use of ASEAN languages in the South, especially the Malay language, which is spoken in several ASEAN countries, and English, which will be the working language of ASEAN.

As for the recruiting of foreign teachers to teach in the three southern border provinces, the project focuses on the English, Chinese, and Arabic languages. Participating schools must be secondary schools, under the supervision of the Office of the Basic Education Commission, Ministry of Education.

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

I think the point about these locations being very dangerous places to be a teacher. has been made.

Assuming a good and experienced TEFL teacher can get 40-50,000 baht per month in a relatively safe location, how much would you demand as pay to work in these volatile provinces? And how much do you think will be offered?

LOL

I think the point about these locations being very dangerous places to be a teacher. has been made.

Assuming a good and experienced TEFL teacher can get 40-50,000 baht per month in a relatively safe location, how much would you demand as pay to work in these volatile provinces? And how much do you think will be offered?

TEFL certificate teachers can get 40-50k? You sure?

• Like 1

LOL

No, I am not. I don't know. I am only guessing. That is why I said "assuming".

It seemed a likely and reasonable salary in Thailand for a GOOD and EXPERIENCED ajarn. Perhaps someone in the business can give a more realistic number if that one is too far off the mark. I was just trying to get a feel for how much more than a typical wage people would want for working there...and also how much people expect the gov will offer.

Your post eludes to the idea that you know something about these numbers, so instead of only questioning my wrong assumption, why not chime in with something worthwhile. it would be appreciated.

I taught (teacher-training) in Yala back in the mid-90's. The only farang in the village. Was tricky then. Can't imagine the explosive landscape now. Poor things. Hope the Dep't of Basic Education is providing enormous health and death insurance, and danger money.

Narathivat is a nice little muang. I would not chance it in Yala and Patani. I would not fear bring targeted, as farsng or myself. I get on well with Muslims, my Bahasa is better than my Thai.

Still, it's the random bombs and you just don't know what kind of stupid lurks in peoples heads.

LOL

It seemed a likely and reasonable salary in Thailand for a GOOD and EXPERIENCED ajarn. Perhaps someone in the business can give a more realistic number if that one is too far off the mark. I was just trying to get a feel for how much more than a typical wage people would want for working there...and also how much people expect the gov will offer.

Your post eludes to the idea that you know something about these numbers, so instead of only questioning my wrong assumption, why not chime in with something worthwhile. it would be appreciated.

I was surprised at your assumption. The going rate I see for TEFL teachers in BKK is in the 30-35k range.

I don't think my assumption was completely off the mark. You are saying a max of 35K in Bangkok, and I had a lower end number of 40K. They are not THAT far apart.

So, using your own numbers, what salary would have to be offered for you to take one of these jobs?

An English teaching job in Yala, Pattani or Narathiwat? I'd want 1 million baht a month. I want live, thank you.

That is if Mrs. Evil would let me go.

I don't teach English, btw.

Another thing, you seem to be very touchy about my posts. Why? Did you feel I was attacking you?

I was not. And IMO there is a big difference between 30-35k and 40-50k.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Narathivat is a nice little muang. I would not chance it in Yala and Patani. I would not fear bring targeted, as farsng or myself. I get on well with Muslims, my Bahasa is better than my Thai.

Still, it's the random bombs and you just don't know what kind of stupid lurks in peoples heads.

You would likely be targeted because you will be viewed as working for the gov't. It's not Teacher's, per se, that they are targeting, it is people working for the Thai gov't.

Before whacking some infidel, I agree that most insurgents go through a check list as in A) Does this infidel speak our language?, and B) Does this infidel get along well with others? If yes to both questions, then of course he would be spared.whistling.gif

Beam me up Scotty ...

I don't think my assumption was completely off the mark. You are saying a max of 35K in Bangkok, and I had a lower end number of 40K. They are not THAT far apart.

So, using your own numbers, what salary would have to be offered for you to take one of these jobs?

An English teaching job in Yala, Pattani or Narathiwat? I'd want 1 million baht a month. I want live, thank you.

That is if Mrs. Evil would let me go.

I don't teach English, btw.

Another thing, you seem to be very touchy about my posts. Why? Did you feel I was attacking you?

I was not. And IMO there is a big difference between 30-35k and 40-50k.

1 million is the starting bid.

I have not taken any offense to your posts, and if you are sensing a hostile tone from me, it is probably just my somewhat direct way of communicating. I don't like dancing around the message. I get right to the meat of the matter and can understand why it might seem I am being touchy. Thanks. I will watch out for that in the future. And sure, from my highest guess at 50K to your lowest number of 30K there is a big difference. I guess I didn't think about the maximum difference because the average wage isn't really important to my question. What I was trying to determine is whether people would go for twice the wage, three times, four times...etc.

BTW, i can understand why Mrs. Evil wouldn't let you live in those provinces but I hope she gives you lots of freedom otherwise.

Cheers

LOL

I think he meant TEFL teachers not teachers w/ only a TEFL cert.

Q--- Serious question: With over 160 teachers killed since 2004 in the deep south, what would it take for you to decide to work there?

It would be like wearing a huge target on you as you walk to work. Please shoot me, I am a farang. No thanks.

Dangerous enough in Phuket.

To the best of your knowledge since 2004 have any foreigner teachers been targeted in the South? I do seem to recall a foreigner hurt or killed in Songkla years ago but not specifically targeted.

• Like 1

LOL

Up in the north and NE they get about 30 -35 . A better in bangkok, But you still need a degree to get into a university.

I've worked in several war zones, but I would be very skeptical about working in the South of Thailand. It would be riskier than a lot of places. First of all, where would you live and what kind of security would be provided at the housing? Hopefully something a little better than locally hired guards or conscript soldiers.

How would transport to and from school be provided?

What kind of insurance and death benefits would be provided and by whom? A lot of insurance companies have special exemptions for terrorist attacks.

And when you want to go out or go shopping, who will accompany you and what transportation is available?

• Like 1