Bangkok to koh samui ferry

Doorby35

I am flying to Bangkok and decided to take the ferry to koh samui is this easy to do as I have always flown. 1: is the ferry port near to airport? 2: are they quite regular during the day? 3: how long is the journey? Hope someone can help..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok

You will be flying from BKK or going by Bus/Train?

You can book with Nok Air or Air Asia and they have BKK to Samui combo tickets, all linked up

Flight will be Surat or Nakorn Sri Thammarat, coach to pier and then ferry all included in the price

If you go yourself then just fly to Surat is probably easier but airport is quite a way from the pier but there is transport there outside.

It's maybe an hour or hour and half to the pier, it's generally it's all linked up. Flights are likely to be early morning and ferry will most likely be midday-ish

Pier to Samui is about an hour on ferry, I think on the fast ferry but there are a few ferry companies that leave at slightly different times and some are slower

Check Lomprayah site - http://www.lomprayah.com/ but honestly if you're flying just go with Nok Air or Air Asia and it's all linked up, much easier

Even if you get a bus or train from the station these days they also sell these combo tickets so don't bother doing it yourself, it'll probably work out more expensive and you'll be arsing about

You can fly form BKK to Samui directly or fly to Surathani and take a Ferry from there.

The OP said that he has always flown in the past but this time wants to take a ferry from BKK close to the BKK airport

Yeah, wasn't sure about that too :D In the case of ferry from BKK to Samui I have no idea and probably nope

I have said for years that there is a market for a North sea type ferry boat that you could get from BKK overnight to the islands. Far safer than the bus and the operators have a captive market to have an all night bar and party etc. Also scope for some cargo as well. I often used to get the ferry from Newcastle To Holland overnight and had many a good night on the trip

You can fly form BKK to Samui directly or fly to Surathani and take a Ferry from there.

The OP said that he has always flown in the past but this time wants to take a ferry from BKK close to the BKK airport

Yes, but that doesn't make sense as there is no ferry from BKK.

Surathani would more fit the bill, or he means a combo ticket from BKK (bus/train, bus and ferry).

Yes, but that doesn't make sense as there is no ferry from BKK.

Surathani would more fit the bill, or he means a combo ticket from BKK (bus/train, bus and ferry).

Mario, that's my point, I got the impression that the OP thought that a ferry operated between BKK and Samui

Assuming the OP figures out whether they go to Suratthani .... by plane or train, he'll end up about 70 kms from Donsak... If going to NST by plane, it is about 90 kms to Donsak. There are buses ready to go... at the airport.

If by bus,or train he should be able to get a bus joint ticket straight to Samui... ask when buying ticket!

Songserm and Lomrprayah Ferries from Donsak, are the fastest, they say 45 mins, but can be an hour... depending on sea conditions....

Seatran and Raja ferries are vehicle ferries and take about 1.5 hours... All run about every hour or so, from about 6 am... (check websites)

Alternatively, there is another Lomprayah ferry that leaves Chumpon at 7 am and arrives Samui, around noon... The bus leaves BKK at 9 PM the night before...

(That ferry stops at Koh Toa and Koh Phangan, before Samui, a nice "scenic" trip as one sees the islands, but it is a little tiring)!

So I head to which train station when I get to bangkok?and that train will take me to surathani and then a bus to ferry port.can I purchase a ticket at bangkok that covers train,bus and ferry to samui?

Ok

So I head to which train station when I get to bangkok?and that train will take me to surathani and then a bus to ferry port.can I purchase a ticket at bangkok that covers train,bus and ferry to samui?

Ok

You need to look at the websites ... start with this for trains ... 2nd class sleeper is fine, first class is OK and not that much more expensive... (trains do tend to be late, but if you have the joint ticket, you will still get here...

http://www.thailandtrainticket.com/index.html

Depending on your arrival date, there may or may not be room, on the trains, so not a case of just arriving at the southern rail terminal, (Hua Lampong)

and hoping to get on a train, especially during high season... You'll see that arriving during Songkran in April is already fully booked...

Also on one site there is this message.

"The Online Booking System of Thai Railways is currently temporarily suspended.

Bookings can be only made in person at stations /booking agencies or on the phone via the central No.

1690 (within Thailand) or

Advance Booking Office,

Bangkok Station (Hua Lampong)

Tel. 0-2223-3762, 0-2224-7788, 0-2225-0300 Ext. 5100

Fax: 0-2225-6068, 0-2226-3656

International Calls: + 66 2 223 3762"

"

I think you'll have a better chance, by getting a bus, joint ticket ferry, to Samui... There are agent desks at most hotels... or usually very near by... you may need to shop around for price... Cost is between about 800 baht to 1500 baht.... Personally I would choose Lomprayah... you can try and book here.... it is the most expensive... but less time on the bus... leaves from Kosan Road... at 9 pm... Unless there are changes due to the demonstrations..in BKK ???.. no problems on Samui BTW...

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/booking_buffet_1.aspx

You can op to pay an extra 200 baht to have mini bus to your hotel on Samui with Lomprayah (mini bus) Lomprayah from Chumpon arrives in Maenam, Samui... other ferries land at Nathon

Do a web search on others... Songserm, Seatran or Raja... they all get you here.

Also perhaps if you choose to fly Air Asia, (I think) Nok air to Suratthanii, and Bangkok Airways direct to Samui.....(expensive!) You would be better booking Air direct from your home country agent or airline included in fare.

It is not all as difficult as it sounds, many people do it.... every day! But during high season don't expect to jump on first bus or train unless booked in advance! wink.png

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Assuming the OP figures out whether they go to Suratthani .... by plane or train, he'll end up about 70 kms from Donsak... If going to NST by plane, it is about 90 kms to Donsak. There are buses ready to go... at the airport.

If by bus,or train he should be able to get a bus joint ticket straight to Samui... ask when buying ticket!

Songserm and Lomrprayah Ferries from Donsak, are the fastest, they say 45 mins, but can be an hour... depending on sea conditions....

Seatran and Raja ferries are vehicle ferries and take about 1.5 hours... All run about every hour or so, from about 6 am... (check websites)

Alternatively, there is another Lomprayah ferry that leaves Chumpon at 7 am and arrives Samui, around noon... The bus leaves BKK at 9 PM the night before...

(That ferry stops at Koh Toa and Koh Phangan, before Samui, a nice "scenic" trip as one sees the islands, but it is a little tiring)!

Donsak is about 40 Km from Surat Thani as NST to ST is 130 - 140 Km.

We are talking about the airports.

Donsak ferry - Suratthani airport = 91,5 km

Donsak ferry - NST airport = 104 km

• Like 1

We are talking about the airports.

Donsak ferry - Suratthani airport = 91,5 km

Donsak ferry - NST airport = 104 km

I admit that ST airport is someway further on and so yes it is further than I have implied.

Ok

Go to Hualumphong Train Station in Bangkok, it's the big, main one

You can book the combo ticket there that will take you all the way to Samui, train, bus to pier and boat ...

Trains tend to leave in the early afternoon onwards, 6pm, 7pm at various speeds so quick that and also trains can sometimes get booked up, there's no guarantee you will get on the same day but of course it's possible

Bus from Southern Bus Station also will sell combo tickets but personally I prefer to go by train

OP seems fairly clueless when it comes to travel and communication so would be better off taking a bus from Khao San Road direct to Samui, includes the cost of the ferry. I think taking a train/bus combo or government bus would be too much of a challenge. No offence.

Well, that is why he's asking .... he's obviously not done it before.... tongue.png

Once you have it's not that difficult, or really as complicated as many like to imply... Joint ticket connections work very well, here.... They put stickers on you so you don't get lost! biggrin.png

It a matter of choice... Bus... Train (if not booked up, that is why I suggested checking web sites) With buses they tend to keep putting more on, as needed.....

Khao San Road, is not the most desirable area of BKK, (except perhaps for young back backerstongue.png ) but no choice for some of the buses, i.e Lomprayah .... best not to complicate things...

Yes too, there is the Public bus, from the southern bus terminal... as far as I remember they provide joint tickets too.... seem to remember it was a very nice bus too... thumbsup.gif

People from around the world, are arriving and leaving Samui by the thousands these days, by many means... it not that difficult! thumbsup.gif

Don Sak is 65 km from Surat Thani, The ferry is about 5 km from the center of the village. Got a house there so done the DS -ST trip loads of time by car.

i believe he was right to begin with its closer to 70km further from airport as the airport is about 30km out of town itself

A bit of "knit picking" going on here, with distances, it matters little....whistling.gif

Once on the bus, what difference does it really make? .... distances mentioned are roughly right... facepalm.gif The airport and train station are in the Phun Phin area... out of the main city of Surrantthanii...

Buses will get one to the ferry terminal whether from BKK or Train station in Phun Phin... thumbsup.gif

Google maps might help!

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Surat+Thani/@9.1210034,99.2316982,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3054066238bdcdf1:0x76a203de8fc1a5f8

Edited by samuijimmy

OP seems fairly clueless when it comes to travel and communication so would be better off taking a bus from Khao San Road direct to Samui, includes the cost of the ferry. I think taking a train/bus combo or government bus would be too much of a challenge. No offence.

Well, that is why he's asking .... he's obviously not done it before.... tongue.png

Once you have it's not that difficult, or really as complicated as many like to imply... Joint ticket connections work very well, here.... They put stickers on you so you don't get lost! biggrin.png

It a matter of choice... Bus... Train (if not booked up, that is why I suggested checking web sites) With buses they tend to keep putting more on, as needed.....

Khao San Road, is not the most desirable area of BKK, (except perhaps for young back backerstongue.png ) but no choice for some of the buses, i.e Lomprayah .... best not to complicate things...

Yes too, there is the Public bus, from the southern bus terminal... as far as I remember they provide joint tickets too.... seem to remember it was a very nice bus too... thumbsup.gif

People from around the world, are arriving and leaving Samui by the thousands these days, by many means... it not that difficult! thumbsup.gif

I took a train/bus joint ticket from Samui to Bangkok once and it's rubbish. To get from the ferry to the train station requires crappy songthaew and bus bus rides, then a long wait at the train station (don't believe the timetable you're given). It's cheaper, quicker and more comfortable to take the government bus, although I suspect the OP would get lost somewhere between the airport and the bus station and even if he made it there he'd struggle to find the right ticket booth. That's why I recommend KSR to Samui direct. He doesn't actually have to stay in KSR, google the bus times and get there at the right time.

There is also a 6:30 pm bus from Mor Chit to Koh samui...window 35 on the ground level, about B1000.

If you are checking the Nok Air fares it can be tricky to find the plane/boat combo. In the Destination drop down, you have to scroll down past international to get to "ISLANDS" and it is there, kind of hidden. I just checked March 8 thru 12 for myself and fares to or from Nar Ton Pier were B2000 to B2800 one way, depending on time. there were 6 daily flights. Looks like it takes about 7 to 8 hours, DMK to Pier.

I do not think it has been mentioned that BANGKOK AIRWAYS flies directly from BKK (Survanabhumi) to Koh Samui itself. Fares start at B3400 one way.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Listen edwardtantub I'm not clueless I am a QC and have travelled quite a few air miles than you my boy.If rudeness is your only response to my simple querie then to use the phrase used by the youth of today "SAD"

Ok

Listen edwardtantub I'm not clueless I am a QC and have travelled quite a few air miles than you my boy.If rudeness is your only response to my simple querie then to use the phrase used by the youth of today "SAD"

Ok

I posted some very helpful information for you so stop sulking. You're clearly not a QC as you lack basic literacy skills.