Bank officer paid for gold, partying with customers' stolen credit cards

webfact

Service with a smile: Bank officer paid for gold, partying with customers’ stolen credit cards
By Prae Sakaowan

800px-credit-cards.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A customer service agent at a Bang Kapi district bank was arrested last night after it was discovered he’d been stealing customers’ credit cards for one year.

Waranyu Ratisuthornkul, 33, a bank customer service agent was arrested at The Mall Ramkhamhaeng in Bang Kapi district last night after one credit card owner went to the police about expenses appearing on credit card statement, a card he’d assumed had been lost in the mail.

While it might be helpful for potential victims to be aware of which bank it was, authorities have withheld that information. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/12/service-smile-bank-officer-paid-gold-partying-customers-stolen-credit-cards

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-12

• Like 1

A lot of foxes guarding chicken coops, here. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that a group of bank employees were caught on camera breaking into safety deposit boxes? Best place for your money in Thailand just might be in your mattress.

• Like 1

Why is the article showing credit cards from a bank which isnt even in Thailand ?....if memory serves...ABSA is a South African bank ?

Coconuts is ignorant about the pictures that they use on their articles. They just search google for "credit cards" and steal the first image that they find.

• Like 1

There is a saying in my tribe, that a dog does not eat the bone hanging to his collar, as there will be no asking around about who ate it.

The best translation I can manage.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Must have been lost in Nigerian whispers, some where. Good on you for pretending though.

Your tribe, being the one which ate the carrot?

??

-m.

Lots of cards in the mail in Thailand go missing 3 times wells fargo replacement cards failed to arrive 2 times BofA cards failed to arrive and 2 time citi cards failed to arrive and one of though is currently overdue - I am working with them like I have had to do with the others, they closed the account I can't use it until a card final makes it to my PO Box in Phitsanulok like all the other missing cards - this is something that in 30 years never happened before but over the past 4 years 7 cards went missing and still happens ever damn time a card comes up on exp date - does not matter what bank or card so the suspect is Thai and works at the post office the only thing they would have in common is where they where going (Phitsanulok Post Office). My accounts are fine never had a charge I watch them like a hawk but it is a complete pain in the ass. I am sure it is a fine postal worker can tell a card is in an evelope and ether bins them out of some missplaced envy or does sell them - At any rate I wish they would have me sign for them so I could at least get one of my replacement cards less then a months after it already exspired.

Lots of cards in the mail in Thailand go missing 3 times wells fargo replacement cards failed to arrive 2 times BofA cards failed to arrive and 2 time citi cards failed to arrive and one of though is currently overdue - I am working with them like I have had to do with the others, they closed the account I can't use it until a card final makes it to my PO Box in Phitsanulok like all the other missing cards - this is something that in 30 years never happened before but over the past 4 years 7 cards went missing and still happens ever dam_n time a card comes up on exp date - does not matter what bank or card so the suspect is Thai and works at the post office the only thing they would have in common is where they where going (Phitsanulok Post Office). My accounts are fine never had a charge I watch them like a hawk but it is a complete pain in the ass. I am sure it is a fine postal worker can tell a card is in an evelope and ether bins them out of some missplaced envy or does sell them - At any rate I wish they would have me sign for them so I could at least get one of my replacement cards less then a months after it already exspired.

mate, 2 master cards dissapeared on me in Surat Thani, the postal clerk even told me it would have been one of the postal workers and to have the next one sent in a bigger envelope with something else to disguise it and make it registered post. That one arrived but then the new pin number posts dissapeared then reappeared but had been tampered with and the cover removed and stuck back on, using glue was a bit of a give away. I phoned my bank in Australia but luckily the 2 they had tampered with were from the stolen cards and that account had been closed so they wouldnt work, they ended up reading out my pin over the phone as I did not want to have it tampered with again and have to get a new card once again. Seems to happen a lot here especially when the counter staff openly tell you it is the postal workers doing it.blink.png

typo

Edited by seajae

Preposterous collusion on the part of the police investigators not to mention the name of the Thai bank. Also they should be arresting some of the shop owners where he repeatedly used cards over the course of a year. They must have know that he was not the person on the card and therefore are conspiring. Why wouldn't they release the name of the bank where he worked?

• Like 1

Preposterous collusion on the part of the police investigators not to mention the name of the Thai bank. Also they should be arresting some of the shop owners where he repeatedly used cards over the course of a year. They must have know that he was not the person on the card and therefore are conspiring. Why wouldn't they release the name of the bank where he worked?

And risk losing the business of a highly valued customer?

If you can't trust your bank who can you trust ?

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Er, Trust me i'm a Doctor, Dentist, Car repairman?

Oh, Bugga, see what you mean!

There is a saying in my tribe, that a dog does not eat the bone hanging to his collar, as there will be no asking around about who ate it.

The best translation I can manage.

'There is a saying in in my tribe' Yeah, try for the 'better translation' laugh.png

This is just another throwback from corruption. I know for a fact that bank officers are bribed to give mortgages on land that is stolen totaling millions of baht. It is modus operandii where property is misappropriated through fraud or theft to go straight to the bank to get a mortgage because it makes recovery almost impossible for the rightful owner. Just bribe the bank officer who doctors the paperwork. In one case a woman formerly a street sweet seller with several credit card alerts against her, meaning a bad credit score, and with no income was lent several increasingly big mortgages on a property despite not making a single payment and all from the same bank.

This is how people lose their property because there are so many Thais in positions of importance who are happy to be bribed. Unfortunately Thais hate these people being sued in the courts and it is very hard to get them convicted which really amounts to society accepting their actions. With bank officials the just get early retirement because no bank wants the advertising that it has corrupt staff but they all do - and there are a lot of them.

Personally I think civil servants, police and professional people like lawyers should be expected to demonstrate above average honesty yet in this society I have found these sorts are often the least honest and lacking ethics. Most street vendors seem to be more honest.

If these sorts were exposed and shamed there would've a lot less of this nonsense going on so why does Thai society protect them so much?

Edited by timewilltell