Dukes At Promenada

RxDan

Re: Anonymouse at #25 ‘Dave…. I'm guessing as usual he wrote it when he was 'in his cups' so I wouldn't waste too much time replying to his nonsense.’

What’s with this pitiful putdown? And with those who logged on to "Like This"?

Is this pathetic ‘ad hominem’ your idea of a back-handed compliment, or simply spitefulness? You are floundering about with you choice of words in your vain attempt to ‘what’?

If you can’t say anything positive about a person, not his actions; then I suggest you simply zip it, Anonymous.

A certain level of courtesy would be appreciated.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Thai wife loves all International cuisines, and is also a superb cook of Thai north/south and central styles. As such, we eat at home unless a special occasion or entertaining visitors warrants a night out.

Unlike many Thai and International restaurants in CM, The Dukes never disappoints.

I'm A Dedicated Dukes Devotee and see no reason why a Sponsor shouldn't defend his reputation and/or offer snippets of info on this forum ... should be more of it IMHO.

Very well said.

If some one has a problem with a dish tell Dave to his face. He would appreciated it. He is constantly trying to improve on his various offerings and would greatly welcome your criticism. They may very well help him to improve the dish. Some times not, it is just the way that he has found most people prefer. Next time you are in there ask for it prepared your way you would be surprised at how willing he is to adapt.

to a couple of other posters I use the I like because I like what the poster said and have no problem admitting it.

To the one on about promoting his own product well that is what he pays Thai Visa for. Can't say as I ever remember him starting a thread to promote a product. I can defiantly say I have seen some posts that were so inane that I felt embarrassed for the poster but Dave said nothing. His food talks for it's self.

You would all be in trouble if he listened to me. I have a wide range of acceptable tastes. LOL

I complain about some of the people of ThaiVisa but there is a lot of really great people here. Sometimes they just do not want to get into it with the negative crowd and so they become the silent majority. They love when I go off. Thanks to everyone going to The Duke's Promenada, it is a great location. We will be doing a promotion soon for there where you will get a free dessert with dinner. We have been talking with the ThaiVisa people about doing a monthly lunch like we do a breakfast with the Expat Club, this Friday, by the way, everyone is invited.

Well, David, I guess you can complain about me!

I wish you well, but I simply do not understand marketing on a forum. Maybe that is a sign of a problem at the till.

Why you become such an icon for so many I cannot understand. You are a Chiang Mai version of Coca Cola for expats and popular with many cholesterol-free (I hope!) Thai! Sort of a more developed palate than Mike's Burgers, I suppose!

Whatever, I hope that you will not start to promote "promotions" in conversations on CMTV like a recently departed former pub owner did. Not tasteful!

I should add that the next time I need a juicy burger and fries, I'd go to your place.....except that my burgers are better !!

Dave's a capitalist and an American one to boot. That's going to make him the object of a certain amount of hatred, but I have a hunch that he doesn't loose too much sleep over that.

• Like 1

I complain about some of the people of ThaiVisa but there is a lot of really great people here. Sometimes they just do not want to get into it with the negative crowd and so they become the silent majority. They love when I go off. Thanks to everyone going to The Duke's Promenada, it is a great location. We will be doing a promotion soon for there where you will get a free dessert with dinner. We have been talking with the ThaiVisa people about doing a monthly lunch like we do a breakfast with the Expat Club, this Friday, by the way, everyone is invited.

I wish you well, but I simply do not understand marketing on a forum. Maybe that is a sign of a problem at the till.

Why you become such an icon for so many I cannot understand. You are a Chiang Mai version of Coca Cola for expats and popular with many cholesterol-free (I hope!) Thai! Sort of a more developed palate than Mike's Burgers, I suppose!

Whatever, I hope that you will not start to promote "promotions" in conversations on CMTV like a recently departed former pub owner did. Not tasteful!

I should add that the next time I need a juicy burger and fries, I'd go to your place.....except that my burgers are better !!

Dave's a capitalist and an American one to boot. That's going to make him the object of a certain amount of hatred, but I have a hunch that he doesn't loose too much sleep over that.

Well two things

1 what is the difference between an American capitalist and a French capitalist? and

2 Was he promoting the expat coffee held there once a month which I and my son attended and we both enjoyed?

• Like 1

Well two things

1 what is the difference between an American capitalist and a French capitalist? and

2 Was he promoting the expat coffee held there once a month which I and my son attended and we both enjoyed?

Probably the biggest difference is that the American capitalist would sell Freedom Fries. And I don't know, maybe he was promoting the monthly expat coffee that you & your son enjoyed, but if you can't recall why ask me?

Edited by AngelsLariat

I have been to 2 odf the Dukes restaurants and VOWED NEVER to return. Food is mediocre and pricey for what it is. Le Meridian at Chiang Mai is same price and very good and that is used only as a comparison because of similar pricing

I have been to 2 odf the Dukes restaurants and VOWED NEVER to return. Food is mediocre and pricey for what it is. Le Meridian at Chiang Mai is same price and very good and that is used only as a comparison because of similar pricing

Wow. Capital letters too. I guess you mean it. I wonder what you'd have done if the food was bad.

• Like 2

Ate there once and wasn't impressed. Ordered 1 pizza but they couldn't do it half half. So we went with meat lovers and it was not even close to good. The pizza was very think base. Spagetti meatballs was average. Bill came to 700 baht!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ate there once and wasn't impressed. Ordered 1 pizza but they couldn't do it half half. So we went with meat lovers and it was not even close to good. The pizza was very think base. Spagetti meatballs was average. Bill came to 700 baht!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do I sense a pizza thread coming up? To be honest with you I am not that impressed with his pizza either but it is the best I have found.

Pretty sad to judge a restaurant on one meal.

Any how back to the topic.

The meal as I said earlier that we had was enjoyed by all It had pizza mahogany wings, ribs and french fries. Plus some desert's. I am judging the Dukes at Promenada as a good place to eat because I have ate there and eaten more than one thing. It was only once but I have eaten at his other two establishments more than once and more than one thing and they were very good. So I have no reason to think that other meals at the Promenada will not be just as good as the last one I had.

To be honest with you I am not that impressed with his pizza either but it is the best I have found.

Isn't that the whole point? It would be nothing special in the USA, but it is the best that I have found in Thailand in the last 20 years. I think that Dave deserves credit for that.

To be honest, IMO, a fair number of local places do a pretty good job on the toppings, but, for my tastes, no one gets the crust right and, to me, the crust - when done correctly - is what makes pizza such a delicious food.

Always had great meals at the Dukes and excellent service . If I want a great meal that's the only place in town Im never disappointed ..... Compared to what you would pay in the US for the same meal , Dukes is much cheaper , but the food is just as good if not better .....

Wow. Capital letters too. I guess you mean it. I wonder what you'd have done if the food was bad.

No offense to the owner or management but the food was sub standard. And why would I not return? FOOD. I would not go to a restaurant to read TV would I?

However, one should ALWAYS be open minded and allow for improvements as there are always bad days in every business and maybe I was unlucky.

• Like 1

To be honest with you I am not that impressed with his pizza either but it is the best I have found.

Isn't that the whole point? It would be nothing special in the USA, but it is the best that I have found in Thailand in the last 20 years. I think that Dave deserves credit for that.

To be honest, IMO, a fair number of local places do a pretty good job on the toppings, but, for my tastes, no one gets the crust right and, to me, the crust - when done correctly - is what makes pizza such a delicious food.

Remind me, NY or SFCO?

The Dukes at Promenade:

Tasty hearty meals at reasonable prices in a clean, spacious environment. What's not to like?

Sure, a lot of the food is high-calorie, high cholestoralso don't order those; there are healthy choices on the menu as well. On the other hand, who can resist those ribs?

The wonderful news is that there is no one forcing anyone to eat there every day. One has to be quite the grinch to decry that the choice is available.

T

• Like 1

Remind me, NY or SFCO?

I'm not that fanatical. Even chain pizza parlours have better crust than anything than you can get here. I prefer New York style crust, but that is the default crust in most places in USA.

Dont want to hijack the 'Dave' posts but in your quest for good pizza I wonder if you have tried Mamma Mia on the road out to Mae Jo? -owner/chef comes from Pisa and,to my taste, makes a fine pizza. Last I had was salami and i expected to be disappointed with the topping but was not.

No, I neither know them or have any connection, just a happy diner.

• Like 2

Well two things

Probably the biggest difference is that the American capitalist would sell Freedom Fries. And I don't know, maybe he was promoting the monthly expat coffee that you & your son enjoyed, but if you can't recall why ask me?

Never thought I would be replying to this thread, but really glad Dave is doing well at Promenada. He was full last night and a few people ended up in Wine Connections which also has superb western food.

Not sure what Freedom Fries are, guessing its a play on the US not being so free and tolerant?

Went there for the 1st time on Valentines day for dinner about 6:30

No reservations made ahead of time.

Don't know what I was thinking as I should have known it would be busy.

But still they got us in & seated in about 15 minutes.

Very nice place...Bright & nicely done.

Being Valentines day probably not the best day to try a new place

due to the crowd & the waiters/waitresses really had their hands full.

But still good service

We both had the Filet Mignon

The one where you get 3 small 70gr steaks each on a slice of french bread?

Very tasty & enjoyed it. My wife thought maybe nice to have more sauce but I was fine as is.

The only thing being neither of us could finish & took

a third of each plate home for the next day.

That is the only thing these days is after years of Thai food

any real Falang food plate like this really is filling for me & hard to finish.

But tastes great as a next day meal smile.png

That bowl of mashed potatoes they give is huge for me.

Also the steamed veggies was very good too.

So given they were fully stressed that Valentines night & we still got a good meal

says a lot in my mind.

Congrats & good luck with your new location Dukes

Edited by mania

How do,I delete reply because I will not assault a fellow expat even though I have a different opinion

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Its too late, you cast your stone and now you will live by it.

May the Lord afflict thee with wasting disease and with fever, inflammation and fiery heat and drought. With corrupted air and with a blasting and pursue there until thou perish.

There is,no escape for you other than to blame the evil drink for your scripts or you can vow to return to said eatery and make judgement again on a second opinion.

• Like 2

How do,I delete reply because I will not assault a fellow expat even though I have a different opinion

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Its too late, you cast your stone and now you will live by it.

May the Lord afflict thee with wasting disease and with fever, inflammation and fiery heat and drought. With corrupted air and with a blasting and pursue there until thou perish.

There is,no escape for you other than to blame the evil drink for your scripts or you can vow to return to said eatery and make judgement again on a second opinion.

So you are saying he must spend the next 4 months in CM ?

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Dave at promenada and he showed me his new Italian restaurant. It should be opening in a couple of months. Good for me. Dave does things right.

Happy, joyous and free

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last time I posted my opinions about our two experiences at a Dukes restaurant I was banned despite saying that we may go for third time lucky.

Anyway, a friend arranged a lunch for another friends birthday today and reluctantly we accepted an invitation to go to the Promenada restaurant.

I had the Duke's burger, one of the tastiest I have had for a long time, very meaty! Finished with the chocolate cake and ice cream and it was so big I was unable to finish it. In general the consensus from the 8 of us was good and would likely go back again.

Downside, 5 ordered cappuccino, generally not good and barely warm. Prices a little on the high side but large portions.

Last time I posted my opinions about our two experiences at a Dukes restaurant I was banned despite saying that we may go for third time lucky.

Anyway, a friend arranged a lunch for another friends birthday today and reluctantly we accepted an invitation to go to the Promenada restaurant.

I had the Duke's burger, one of the tastiest I have had for a long time, very meaty! Finished with the chocolate cake and ice cream and it was so big I was unable to finish it. In general the consensus from the 8 of us was good and would likely go back again.

Downside, 5 ordered cappuccino, generally not good and barely warm. Prices a little on the high side but large portions.

See uptheos post #51cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

See uptheos post #51cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

I remembered that post from Uptheos and decided to feed this on instead of starting another.

Anyway, for us Duke's is now running at a 33.33rec per cent successful result rate.

I am amused sometimes by the food critics on Thai VISA........."the bread was a bit too crispy.....the fish a bit too flaky.....this particular dish was a bit too salty. At times I think I'm listening to comments from Gordan Ramsey, Julia Child or Anthony Bourdain. I'm sure there are many that have a better palate than I have at judging food but HELLO EVERYONE......WE'RE IN CHIANG MAI!!! This is not the gourmet capital of the world!

Here's what I look for:

1) Is it clean? Call me crazy but a top priority for me! The Dukes, as well as the River Market and Ragu, are the cleanest I've seen in Chiang Mai and most other places I've been to throughout the world. For the most part the kitchens are available to see. I like that!

2) Is it consistent? I've found the food to be most consistent in these establishments. Is it to everyone's taste? Maybe not but I have my favorites in each place and will try something new occasionally which is usually very good! I don't know the purveyors from which they source their food but to me it's of a very good quality. I might add, very good desserts also!

3) How is the service/staff? I have found the service and staff to be both friendly and helpful at the Dukes......ALL LOCATIONS, although I very rarely eat at the Night Bizarre location.

4) Finally, I see ownership that is present and cares about the customer. I've seen many good restaurants where the owners have set up a nice restaurant and then disappear, only to see the establishment go downhill.

Everyone has their own favorite restaurant spots in Chiang Mai but FOR ME...... there are few that match the priorities I have for good eating and a nice night out! As asked in the original post, the Dukes at Promenada, for me, is consistent with the quality and service of the other Dukes establishments!

• Like 2