What type of Kukri snake is this?

mls

Am trying to identify this snake and believe it's a Kukri snake (non-venomous).

Have looked on the web which has many images of Kukri snakes with the same type of markings, but they all have different names.

Would be really grateful for a correct variety of Kukri (latin name too).

FYI this one was released outside the garden unharmed.

Thanks to all for your help.

post-94757-0-01003800-1392290095_thumb.j post-94757-0-83777900-1392291699_thumb.j

When identifying snakes in Thailand, it's often helpful to know the location the snake was found. Snakes have geological ranges per species. But I have to go with the Banded Kuri also. Yet it doesn't have the distinctive leaf pattern on its head.

You;ll find this helpful if you have the time to explore each one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodon

Thanks for your input. Noticed that most of the banded pictures don't have the circular bits, just bands.

I live in Banglamung, Pattaya, if that helps. Have also checked out wiki, but not all of them have photos. Don't suppose you know of any really good books on Thai snakes?

These two books:

NATURALIST' S GUIDE TO THE SNAKES OF THAILAND AND SOUTHEAST ASIA, A., Merl J. Cox

Snakes of Thailand and Their Husbandry

As you browse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodon, click on the IUCN link, then go down to geographic location. It will give you the range of the snake species. Helps a lot on identification. I used it once to settle an argument over another snake identification. I forgot which snake it was but they were are it was one that they saw in Thailand but it only lives in Malaysia. Bad photos sometimes makes it hard to identify. There are just too many minor subtle variations to consider. I even check with the experts at the Bangkok Red Cross Snake Center on occasions. Even they sometimes argue with each other. Can be a fun hobby.