Civil conflict is sliding towards an uncivil war: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately quite true. There is no middle ground here until one side is utterly gone. Civil war seems to be the only way out since both sides don't seem to want to budge. An alternative would be to let the North and Northeast just break away and form the Shin Republic. Would love to see how they manage without the 'urban middle class elite royalists' from Bangkok bothering them.

• Like 1

i wonder if that happens who will do all the manual labor ? more burmese ?for sure it wont be the Isaan folk ... Civil war or a breakaway state is the only real solution imo .... or a messiah appears in the form of a new political party with no ties to any of the present imbeciles .....

Unfortunately quite true. There is no middle ground here until one side is utterly gone.

I was listening to a couple neighbors discussing the situation, in Thai. Three times during the conversation the word "compromise" was clearly said, in English.

I guess there is no Thai word for "compromise"!

• Like 2

As Thailand is incapable of running their affairs without conflict, the only reasonable solution to avoid a civil war is to return to military rule, I say this with a heavy heart , but, I do not want to see a civil war that brings total loss , you need to pull the country into line , off load all the dead wood, bring reforms in with lasting benefit , introduce democracy with the help from the Academic's, to divide the country would be counter productive , infrastructure, communications , defence industry ,etc all need support from the whole of Thailand, Thai senior Commanders would be keeping any eye on the situation , you can bet on that.coffee1.gif

i wonder if that happens who will do all the manual labor ? more burmese ?for sure it wont be the Isaan folk ... Civil war or a breakaway state is the only real solution imo .... or a messiah appears in the form of a new political party with no ties to any of the present imbeciles .....

I have been saying for some time that the only way out of this is for a new party to come to the fore based upon a solemn pledge from all participants that they will never use their position for personal gain. Anyone who later decided to 'drift' into corrupt practices should be dealt with in accordance with the full weight of the law for breaching their solemn pledge.

This would have no attraction whatsoever to any of those (who do not need to be named here) whose sole purpose of being in politics is to line their own pockets. Given time, such a dedicated party would become the major force in Thai politics, xenophobic attitudes could be quashed thereby leading to a greater willingness to seek suggestions and advice from outside, ultimately leading to a greater willingness for foreign nations to once again engage in FDI, and the country would be allowed to prosper.

Corruption could be rooted out, appropriate infrastructure policies could be pursued based upon appropriate use of taxes, the police force could (and should) be overhauled, law and order could be truly enforced, and the country could be turned around within a single generation.

However ...... the reality for the time being is that this is still a "Me First" society, and anything which is for the good of the nation continues to be of low priority in the minds of many, if not the vast majority, of its citizens.

• Like 2

Unfortunately quite true. There is no middle ground here until one side is utterly gone.

I was listening to a couple neighbors discussing the situation, in Thai. Three times during the conversation the word "compromise" was clearly said, in English.

This is the thai word for compromise

ประนีประนอม

Source- English-Thai Dictionary for students

How's that pronounced? Is it "bpranee-bpranoarm"

Depends which transliteration protocol you follow. I have no idea how you think "noarm" sounds but its probably right. Its just an 'n' sound followed by long 'o' sound (hard 'o' as in word mOnster), then 'm'

I would encourage to learn anyone that wants to learn Thai to use the Thai script, instead of phonetics. Phonetics make it *really* difficult. Thai script is so much easier.

The Idiotic Idea that the military should lead the country is tantamount to giving the Elite free hand in running the country, and clearly not acceptable to the people of the free democratic Thailand, who would be better off with the division of the country rather than give up it Democratic ideals to a dictatorship or of a civil war.

As Bangkok is dependent for its water supply from the red sections of the country, a compromise can be worked out between both countries for free Thailand to supply water and rice to the Dictatorship in exchange for a seaport facility for Free Thailand.

Cheers

Where does this article call for the military to lead the country? I'll read the article again but not seeing that. There was one sentence saying that pro govt factions are alleging that is what pdrc, but we all know allegations aren't facts, don't we? Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

It may look like the brink but a compromise solution will be found without violence. All parties have too much to lose by NOT coming to a negotiated settlement. Suthep has taken this way too far and the sane voices in the democrats will now emerge to engage in dialogue

• Like 2

It may look like the brink but a compromise solution will be found without violence. All parties have too much to lose by NOT coming to a negotiated settlement. Suthep has taken this way too far and the sane voices in the democrats will now emerge to engage in dialogue

All for that.

Though as is my wont I will say that suthep and his pdrc are still not the Dems.

Edited by Bluespunk

The author almost succeeded in mentioning Thaksin, his sister, Pheu Thai or Shin Co in every paragraph. Almost any pr is good. The Thai press has been aggrandizing Thaksin in five out of six lead stories every day and engendering acrimony and conflict. Why do you think he is so popular?

Edited by noitom
  • Like 1

It is normally not very meaningful to argue that if Language A borrows a word from Language B, it means that Language A has no word for the concept so described or never had the concept .

English borrowed 'second' from French, when it already had 'other', which then took on a different meaning.

If you follow Curt1591's line of thinking, then note that the Thai word คอร์รับชั่น (kho-rap-chan) is regularly heard on the PRDC stage and elsewhere. Are we therefore to assume that Thai has no word for 'corruption' and that the concept is a novel one for Thais?

almost 40 years here in Thailand and this is the time I can see civil war on the horizon ...so sad for a Country with massive potential

Most 2 party democracies suffer from this same problem. The parties maintain their power through local representatives. The representatives are beholden to the power brokers in the parties they come from and instead of acting for their constituents, they toe the party line. They break promises and do as they're told.

Sometimes, like in Australia a mediating force can be a party that controls the Senate or upper house and even then, there are many compromises. More independent representatives, directly and only directly responsible for their own areas ensures that their constituents concerns are properly taken care of.

Some people put forward a coalition of independents is a way to go.

The problem in Thailand is not so much voting but freedom of speech. As long as draconian laws against this freedom exist, the truths can never be fully discussed in public.

Ignorance that can spill over into violence, as the frustration with a non-transparent system rises.

There definitely seems to be a dire need for a 3rd political force in Thailand and a charismatic, honest intellectual to lead it.

• Like 2

Unfortunately quite true. There is no middle ground here until one side is utterly gone. Civil war seems to be the only way out since both sides don't seem to want to budge. An alternative would be to let the North and Northeast just break away and form the Shin Republic. Would love to see how they manage without the 'urban middle class elite royalists' from Bangkok bothering them.

This article casts some light on who is in which camp: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/02/07/the-weakness-of-the-thai-royalists/

Good Lord, what a load of complete codswallop that article is, from a spectator who neither even lives here nor obviously knows Thailand very well.

That was a lecture in one vision, from one single perspective, and from yours truly - a Thaksin freak. No mention of corruption, not a mention of the financial rape, no mention of the illegal deaths caused, and no mention of a corrupt fugitive who illegally interferes with the operations of a government leading a country whilst in exile.

Tremendous insight that lecturer has... NOT!

• Like 2

Actually, quite wrong. This whole saga is not about populist polices or politicians - even Suthep made populist policies when he was an MP. Or even about Bangkok middle calsses against rural Thais. It is about which of two possible contenders is the next monarch of this country. The Nation and the other English language newspaper in this country are part of a group that supports one of those respected people. Each of these respected persons has support from parts of the "elite Royalists", influential politicians, parts of the armed forces, parts of the police, and business leaders. As the Prime Minister of the day has some influence in the choice of monarch, the faction of which The Nation is part wants to see "their man" leading the government when the time comes for that choice to be made. The Bangkok middle classes and now the farmers are just pawns in this power struggle.

One thing we can draw from The Nation's article is that this power struggle looks likely to go to the wire, which is why they are trying to bolster the position of "their side" by alarmist talk of civil war. This article casts some light on who is in which camp: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/02/07/the-weakness-of-the-thai-royalists/

That article is a load of clearly biased red nonsense written by an idiot on a red biased idiots crap website. Notice how they take every opportunity to trash the opposition in the article. Total waste of brain cells, nothing intelligent in there at all..

Yet another lame attempt to distract people's attention away from the crimes committed by the Shin regime and try and make people ignore the poor farmer's plight.

My apologies.... we wrote at the same time 555 ;)

This is the thai word for compromise

ประนีประนอม

Source- English-Thai Dictionary for students

The English language word was obtained from Middle French around 500 years ago. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=compromise

At the time, apparently, English did not yet have the word "compromise". Does that mean that English people did not know the meaning of the word? I don't think so. Languages overlap and borrow from one another all the time. The English language itself is a prime example of this. How many French words transported to English do you know? How many from Spanish?

Could we somehow refrain from looking for cultural superiority at every opportunity, and maybe try to celebrate the better aspects of different cultures once in awhile?

Ok, lecture over.

Edited by DeepInTheForest

This article casts some light on who is in which camp: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2014/02/07/the-weakness-of-the-thai-royalists/

Good Lord, what a load of complete codswallop that article is, from a spectator who neither even lives here nor obviously knows Thailand very well.

That was a lecture in one vision, from one single perspective, and from yours truly - a Thaksin freak. No mention of corruption, not a mention of the financial rape, no mention of the illegal deaths caused, and no mention of a corrupt fugitive who illegally interferes with the operations of a government leading a country whilst in exile.

I wouldn't be too judgmental... and thats from someone that has lived here 8 years, has a wife and 2 kids...

5 minutes watching police and traffic, will convince you there is no law and order. A bribe will pay for no helmet, speeding and even being grossly intoxicated behind the wheel.

Then there is the racial side of Thailand. Something the Western world is well aware of and is still shaking off. Thailand has yet to acknowledge it even exists.

Then there is the rights of an individual.... If your not Thai... its very difficult to get justice.

Some schools discourage half breeds to attend. There are quotes from TV parents who have been told some disgusting things about what the teachers at school are telling the kids, with no actions to squash that behavior from principals or Human Rights departments.

Put all of this in a melting pot called Thailand.. add lack of respect, lack of justice, corruption and a self importance attitude over the rest of the world and that is a normal day in Thailand...

Then at some point, a Thai figures out how people get elected (vote buying) and finds that WRONG... then creates an illegal and destructive action using people to right the wrong and its all gets more confusing for the outsider. Thats when you get situations like this... Its a c-ock fight.... nothing more.... and as usual, the country suffers time and time again... because lessons are never learned and measures are never taken to make sure that situations like this can be dealt with like intelligent, educated people.

Perhaps comment on what you know and not what you think you know, because perception changes when you live here....

• Like 1

I wouldn't be too judgmental... and thats from someone that has lived here 8 years, has a wife and 2 kids...

5 minutes watching police and traffic, will convince you there is no law and order. A bribe will pay for no helmet, speeding and even being grossly intoxicated behind the wheel.

Then there is the racial side of Thailand. Something the Western world is well aware of and is still shaking off. Thailand has yet to acknowledge it even exists.

Then there is the rights of an individual.... If your not Thai... its very difficult to get justice.

Some schools discourage half breeds to attend. There are quotes from TV parents who have been told some disgusting things about what the teachers at school are telling the kids, with no actions to squash that behavior from principals or Human Rights departments.

Put all of this in a melting pot called Thailand.. add lack of respect, lack of justice, corruption and a self importance attitude over the rest of the world and that is a normal day in Thailand...

Then at some point, a Thai figures out how people get elected (vote buying) and finds that WRONG... then creates an illegal and destructive action using people to right the wrong and its all gets more confusing for the outsider. Thats when you get situations like this... Its a c-ock fight.... nothing more.... and as usual, the country suffers time and time again... because lessons are never learned and measures are never taken to make sure that situations like this can be dealt with like intelligent, educated people.

Perhaps comment on what you know and not what you think you know, because perception changes when you live here....

Lived here a lot longer than you have wink.png

And the article included no reference to anything you alluded to... I wonder why not? Police are all Thaksin cronies too!

Edited by Why ask