How does your wife 'destroy' Western food

Dr. Burrito

One of the first things I learned living in Thailand is Thai people don't eat beef (exceptions too few to count and yes I know about the Muslim South). Try cooking her BBQ pork ribs and she will eat with only BBQ sauce. Boy are you guys .......... Next rule is, if you think you have problems with Thais, never give an Aussie an American steak.

if its around 1.5" thick and cooked medium rare it is perfect, in Australia we can get 2" T bones/bone in rib eye that are close to a kilo in weight as a single serve(most butchers sell them), brilliant. Aussies like a great steak but it does need to be cooked to perfection and not covered in sauce

Australia mainly exports frozen grass fed beef to the US explaining the general feeling for the Australian product.

I still don't know what you mean by "general feeling." America raises grain fed beef, but grass fed beef is actually leaner and healthier.

I've never heard anything but good about Australian beef, and I was raised in Western US cattle country.

I think it has almost as much to do with how it's handled after it's slaughtered and then hung and butchered, and the breed, as anything else.

One of the first things I learned living in Thailand is Thai people don't eat beef (exceptions too few to count and yes I know about the Muslim South). Try cooking her BBQ pork ribs and she will eat with only BBQ sauce. Boy are you guys .......... Next rule is, if you think you have problems with Thais, never give an Aussie an American steak.

if its around 1.5" thick and cooked medium rare it is perfect, in Australia we can get 2" T bones/bone in rib eye that are close to a kilo in weight as a single serve(most butchers sell them), brilliant. Aussies like a great steak but it does need to be cooked to perfection and not covered in sauce

Australia mainly exports frozen grass fed beef to the US explaining the general feeling for the Australian product.

I still don't know what you mean by "general feeling." America raises grain fed beef, but grass fed beef is actually leaner and healthier.

I've never heard anything but good about Australian beef, and I was raised in Western US cattle country.

I think it has almost as much to do with how it's handled after it's slaughtered and then hung and butchered, and the breed, as anything else.

Frozen and grass fed do not a good steak make. I wrote, "Australia mainly exports frozen grass fed beef to the US explaining the general feeling for the Australian product."

Restaurant owners who buy 99% of the good beef available in the USA don't buy Australian beef except in times of severe beef shortage in the US market.

America is the largest beef producing country in the world. Australia is number 7. Why would America buy an Aussie steer a plane ticket to come to the USA?

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

The wife is a creature of habit. First time I took her to the states, she ate pork green chile I'd made to smother burritos. She then requested green chile with rice for breakfast the next day and the day after that.... Not really a bastardization of the chile, but my folks got a kick out of it, that, and her habit of putting ketchup on pizza and Tabasco sauce on EVERYTHING. Now when we return stateside first thing on her wish list is for me to always make a big batch of pork green chile. ?

actually most aussie beef is grain fed these days, the grass fed beef goes to Indonesia from the north(different breed of cattle). The local butchers all sell grain fed but like all cattle they are stocked on open grassed farmland with grain supplement, no beef is fed purely grain from birth and kept in sheds. Dont know where you are getting your info but it is definitely not right

actually most aussie beef is grain fed these days, the grass fed beef goes to Indonesia from the north(different breed of cattle). The local butchers all sell grain fed but like all cattle they are stocked on open grassed farmland with grain supplement, no beef is fed purely grain from birth and kept in sheds. Dont know where you are getting your info but it is definitely not right

Frozen grassfed beef continues to make up a majority of Australian beef sent to the US. However, chilled beef exports have been on the rise for the past decade. Chilled grassfed beef exports increased 12% year-on-year in 2013, to a record 33,348 tonnes swt.

http://www.mla.com.au/Prices-and-markets/Overseas-markets/North-America/Beef

Meat & Livestock Australia Limited (MLA) delivers marketing and research programs for Australia's cattle, sheep and goat producers. MLA has over 47,500 livestock producer members who have stakeholder entitlements in the company.

Edited by thailiketoo

I'm not surprised that this happens.

I don't think that Thai women would be starting a thread on USA Visa about their American husbands either.

When I visit Thailand, I can pull out a bag of raw locusts and fry them up just like a local. I can make a mean fermented fish Papaya salad, too.

Sorry to say this, but aren't you being a bit on the controlling side regarding what she eats? If she wanted to put chocolate ice cream on her steak, so be it. As long as she doesn't mess with your steak, I don't see it as a problem. I don't eat beef often anymore, and to be quite frank, I can understand why they might want to alter or mask the flavor. The flavor is unusual, and that includes some fine steaks my sis in law makes me when I go back to the states. It is an acquired taste, like all tastes (that's what my consumer behavior prof said, tho admitted he was having a hard time with liver). And there is no disputing taste... well, you can, but it's pointless. Many Thais love bugs (not bad really, mostly a mental thing) but are aghast at our eating beef. She should just tell you she is working on a "fusion cuisine".

In general my wife is a very good cook. One of the first things I taught her about western food was how to respect meat!

She recently cooked a feed of frogs legs and decided to do it as a curry, turns out curried frogs legs are horrible.

Are they really?

Take your wife with you when you visit your home country, go to see relatives and foreign friends, take her out to good ethnic restaurants, let her see the different styles of cooking. If you want her to make Western meals, show her Western meals and show her how to make them. If you can't cook, shame on you, but find someone who can and let them show her. Get onto the internet, find recipes, cook them together. You'd be surprised how easy it is.

No, that would be too logical and too much trouble, just keep bitching about it.

• Like 1

My wife and I love to cook, she cooks both Thai and western food to perfection and on a day off I do some experiments. Almost all ingredients are available at the local market, so not to much expensive shopping needed.

I guess I'm spoiled with almost every type of food you can imagine prepared way better than in most restaurants :P

Apart from that there is nothing wrong with chili on a good steak, love it!

It's the ketchup on the pizza that kills me. It just straight up ruins the flavor.

This is the latest fad up in isaan at the newly popped up pizza stalls, it's just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My wife has cooked some very good pork shnitzels and french fries,and a few other things,but her Thai food is exquisite,much better than any resturant ,and the look on her face when i tell her "aroy mak, mak" makes it 5 star for me.I make traditional italian pizza for her and the step daughter and stepson,the first time the went to put,ketchup and mayo on,i told them no way,they ate them without and loved them,i have also made them indian curries which they enjoyed,but they did not feel were hot enough, "mai pet" , i tried to tempt them with Stilton cheese one night,they nearly ran out the house,Parmesan is another they hate, but they love Palaa,i guess it all come's down to what your brought up with,never would i attempt to cook Thai food for them,why bring coals to Newcastle!

Nothing wrong with good steak dipped in a no of home made sauce.

But I guess you have the Thai cooking side if things down pat. Glass houses and all that...

Remind me if we ever meet no to offer to buy you a proper steak cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif She cooked the steaks to perfection, it was the rudeness with which she treated it that caused my near stroke...

God, I wish I could cook good Thai food. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webpxsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp Since she and the kiddos are in the states and I am back and forth, I am forced to restaurants and street carts when I want a good Thai meal.

I wouldn't call a 21 day steak a proper steak. I'd prefer a couple of more weeks hanging.

And I hope you consider a properly cooked streak one which has only briefly seen a hot flame. Otherwise I don't think we are on the same page of what is defined as a 'good steak' :)

so you like yous still kickin

• Like 1

My mother was great cook and she always told me that it was shame to put sauce on a good steak. It was probably the wisest piece of advice that she ever gave me.

I do understand the reasoning UG, as a paid up member of the meatatarian society.

In just not as purist about it, and the Thai Jim Jam sauce does go remarkably well with some good tender meat.

On the smelly cheese side if things, having lived in the UK, a good grilled steak with melted Stilton on the top. Heaven.

I love having the spicy Thai sauce the GF makes with my steak...yum yum yum,

• Like 1

My mother was great cook and she always told me that it was shame to put sauce on a good steak. It was probably the wisest piece of advice that she ever gave me.

I do understand the reasoning UG, as a paid up member of the meatatarian society.

In just not as purist about it, and the Thai Jim Jam sauce does go remarkably well with some good tender meat.

On the smelly cheese side if things, having lived in the UK, a good grilled steak with melted Stilton on the top. Heaven.

I love having the spicy Thai sauce the GF makes with my steak...yum yum yum,

Wow you GF already has an article ?