Asparagus - your thoughts please

ThaiLife

Directly at the rear of our house we have 1 Rai of land which is currently not used , just has a few old fruit trees and scrub . For some time we ( my self and Thai wife ) have been thinking of some how using this empty land to produce some sort of an income . A few weeks ago we were invited to go and see a friend of my wife who lives in the next village , who has an asparagus growing set up on the same amount of land as we have ( 1 Rai ) . Here's a few photographs of that asparagus growing set up , which is solely attended and run by two people .

gq58.jpg

oiw5.jpg

Well and water pump

ap5m.jpg

87yv.jpg

Being sorted into grade

ytoz.jpg

put in a cutting box

hgqf.jpg

Cut to length

uv3k.jpg

The impression I and my wife got after talking to her friends about their asparagus growing operation was that after the initial setting up , of having a water well dug ,electric sprinkler pump and plastic pipe work installed , then the young asparagus planted etc , the eventual financial returns seems to be attractive when compared to other local crops , the other things we soon realised after visiting this asparagus operation was that the plants need constant attention with things like weeding , watering , feeding and of course daily picking and from the initial start of the growing operation it can take several years for the asparagus to fully mature and produce the maximum amounts .

The asparagus grown are sorted into several grades and sold to a local whole sale agent on the day they are picked .

Since visiting this asparagus growing set up we have begun to notice several other similar set ups around our village.

So we have the vacant land at the rear of our house , my wife and I have the free time and enthusiasm to set up and look after the asparagus , so now before we commit any money to setting up an asparagus operation , I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the subject . So any comments or advice would be most welcome . wai.gif

• Like 1

Looks good...how much income does it generate.

Did not know they take years to grow, what you do in the mean time ?

That asparagus operation had only been in operation for around 7 months so we were told that the full yearly income was difficult to clearly forecast depending on how the quality and grade of the asparagus will eventually turn out . It seems that once the first baby asparagus is put in the ground , it will start growing and produce off shoots and at different times and growth stages and can be picked for sale , but may not produce the best grade quality until much later , hence it taking some years to reach its best quality / grade potential .

The wife's friend told us that at the moment she is picking some asparagus on a daily basis ( seen in the photos ) and any asparagus that does meet the top grade ( A ) the local asparagus agent pays around 80 Baht per bundle ( the amount shown in the cutting box photo ) and any lesser quality / grade and the payment is less , currently the wife's friend says she is only making around 1,000 Baht a day on the limited amounts of asparagus avaiable .

As all ways any facts and financial figures I hear from locals about how much things earn , have to be some how checked and verified

in this case the wife's friend seems to be passing on information that may be correct whistling.gif

This is why I am trying to obtain as much information about the subject as I can .

Funny enough...just went to our block and the neighbours daughter, whose parents look after our place, she is growing asparagus somewhere nearby apparently and she sells it for 150b a kilo.

My missus just bought 5 kilos....we like our sparagus.

I know in the markets around here it varies from 10b to 30b for a 100g bunch....and time of year

I know of a place outside Petchabun about the same size. Apparently the wholesaler only buys what is suitable for export and the farmer is left on his own to sell the rest, but that was second hand. It seems I read a while back when my wife mentioned it that from seed takes a couple of years or so to get going, but there is a faster way. Something to consider is: do you want to do this for a very long time and do it every day. You could hire a couple of workers, but I have never had hired workers work as hard for me as farmers do on their own land. Hopefully the start up price will be high enough that you don't get squeezed on price down the line, talk to the wholesaler.

I know of a place outside Petchabun about the same size. Apparently the wholesaler only buys what is suitable for export and the farmer is left on his own to sell the rest, but that was second hand. It seems I read a while back when my wife mentioned it that from seed takes a couple of years or so to get going, but there is a faster way. Something to consider is: do you want to do this for a very long time and do it every day. You could hire a couple of workers, but I have never had hired workers work as hard for me as farmers do on their own land. Hopefully the start up price will be high enough that you don't get squeezed on price down the line, talk to the wholesaler.

From what I could make out the local asparagus wholesale buyer takes any asparagus that is grown , but pays varying prices depending on the quality and grade . As for the seeds it does seem that a cheaper way to start out is to first plant seeds , but like you say it may take considerably longer to get the plants going , where as my wife's friends asparagus set up was started by planting all ready grown young plants , but they cost more to buy than seeds , but advanced the crop production waiting time scale .

Our own personal idea may be a bit simplistic in its approach , as we all ready have the land that is accessed by walking through a gate in our back garden , there's no travailing any distance to the proposed asparagus set up , so we could keep an eye on the the land and set up along with carrying out the daily maintenance as required , we both enjoy a new challenge and have plenty of free time , we are thinking that any income generated would be just an extra bonus , and not critical should the income fluctuate .

When talking with the my wife's friend , she did comment that since her asparagus set up was started the price that the asparagus wholesaler paid her , had fluctuated at times , but in her words never to the extent where it seemed not worth producing.

Edited by ThaiLife

Hello All, ran across this while checking ag in the UAE.

rice555

Michigan State University faculty research
Aim to equip growers with new asparagus management tools

Michigan vegetable growers are experts at producing asparagus, consistently placing Michigan among the top three states nationally in asparagus production. Michigan State University (MSU) faculty and extension staff members have the privilege to collaborate with these growers to research new tools for managing this important vegetable crop. Results of this work were showcased at the 2013 Oceana Research Tour in Hart, Mich. earlier this year.

One focus of recent work by MSU faculty members is the use of irrigation to deliver not only water but also insecticides to asparagus. Dan Brainard, assistant professor of horticulture, and his graduate student Ben Byl have been collecting data that suggest that both subsurface drip and overhead irrigation can improve asparagus yields in dry years. Their work suggests that subsurface drip irrigation increases soil moisture deeper into the soil profile, providing a significant yield benefit for deeper rooted varieties such as some ‘Jersey’ cultivars. Overhead irrigation increases water at shallower soil depths, matching the water demand of more shallowly rooted varieties such as ‘Millennium.’ Zsofia Szendrei, assistant professor of entomology, is examining the use of subsurface drip irrigation for another purpose — delivery of systemic insecticides to plants, which she has found can reduce asparagus miner damage. Her lab is also conducting research on natural enemies of this pest, which include tiny wasps that parasitize and kill over 30 percent of asparagus miners, whose tiny larvae damage asparagus.

Selection of good varieties suited to Michigan conditions is another key to successful asparagus production. Michigan hosts a unique asset in this regard — the Michigan Asparagus Industry Research Farm — which is funded by growers and handlers and hosts collaborative research. Varietal work at the research farm has played a big role in helping the industry identify and adopt use of new high yielding, all-male varieties. The research farm also hosts herbicide trials conducted by Bernie Zandstra, horticulture professor at MSU, which help identify new tools for managing difficult weed species. The research farm is a truly collaborative endeavour that exemplifies what can be accomplished when the agricultural industry partners with land-grant universities to help keep our growers doing what they do best—producing high quality vegetables.

For more information:
Ben Werling
Michigan State University Extension
Email: [email protected]
msue.msu.edu

Publication date: 2/13/2014

post-37242-0-94050700-1392562972_thumb.j

There is quite a bit to know about growing asparagus to maximize your yields. Google it and read about such things as removing female plants (identified by their berries,) not cutting the smaller weaker shoots but rather letting them grow into foliage to strengthen the plant, feeding, watering, cutting the plants back once a year, etc. etc.

You will gain only about a year by using plants instead of seeds because transplanting is really hard on the roots of the plants. You should have a decent harvest the 3rd year and more and more after that.

I'd go for it. If you plant your seeds about 6" apart in beds about 1 meter apart, you can thin the weakest plants and the females to about 1 meter apart as they grow. You want your plants to be separated by about 1 meter in all directions.

The reason asparagus is so expensive to buy is that it takes a few years to get it going, and it produces only part of the year. It also is a heavy feeder requiring compost or commercial fertilizer.

Good luck.

Hello All, ran across this while checking ag in the UAE.

rice555

Michigan State University faculty research

Aim to equip growers with new asparagus management tools

Michigan vegetable growers are experts at producing asparagus, consistently placing Michigan among the top three states nationally in asparagus production. Michigan State University (MSU) faculty and extension staff members have the privilege to collaborate with these growers to research new tools for managing this important vegetable crop. Results of this work were showcased at the 2013 Oceana Research Tour in Hart, Mich. earlier this year.

One focus of recent work by MSU faculty members is the use of irrigation to deliver not only water but also insecticides to asparagus. Dan Brainard, assistant professor of horticulture, and his graduate student Ben Byl have been collecting data that suggest that both subsurface drip and overhead irrigation can improve asparagus yields in dry years. Their work suggests that subsurface drip irrigation increases soil moisture deeper into the soil profile, providing a significant yield benefit for deeper rooted varieties such as some ‘Jersey’ cultivars. Overhead irrigation increases water at shallower soil depths, matching the water demand of more shallowly rooted varieties such as ‘Millennium.’ Zsofia Szendrei, assistant professor of entomology, is examining the use of subsurface drip irrigation for another purpose — delivery of systemic insecticides to plants, which she has found can reduce asparagus miner damage. Her lab is also conducting research on natural enemies of this pest, which include tiny wasps that parasitize and kill over 30 percent of asparagus miners, whose tiny larvae damage asparagus.

Selection of good varieties suited to Michigan conditions is another key to successful asparagus production. Michigan hosts a unique asset in this regard — the Michigan Asparagus Industry Research Farm — which is funded by growers and handlers and hosts collaborative research. Varietal work at the research farm has played a big role in helping the industry identify and adopt use of new high yielding, all-male varieties. The research farm also hosts herbicide trials conducted by Bernie Zandstra, horticulture professor at MSU, which help identify new tools for managing difficult weed species. The research farm is a truly collaborative endeavour that exemplifies what can be accomplished when the agricultural industry partners with land-grant universities to help keep our growers doing what they do best—producing high quality vegetables.

For more information:

Ben Werling

Michigan State University Extension

Email: [email protected]

msue.msu.edu

Publication date: 2/13/2014

Thanks for the information , there's so much to learn thumbsup.gif

There is quite a bit to know about growing asparagus to maximize your yields. Google it and read about such things as removing female plants (identified by their berries,) not cutting the smaller weaker shoots but rather letting them grow into foliage to strengthen the plant, feeding, watering, cutting the plants back once a year, etc. etc.

You will gain only about a year by using plants instead of seeds because transplanting is really hard on the roots of the plants. You should have a decent harvest the 3rd year and more and more after that.

I'd go for it. If you plant your seeds about 6" apart in beds about 1 meter apart, you can thin the weakest plants and the females to about 1 meter apart as they grow. You want your plants to be separated by about 1 meter in all directions.

The reason asparagus is so expensive to buy is that it takes a few years to get it going, and it produces only part of the year. It also is a heavy feeder requiring compost or commercial fertilizer.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice , this whole growing asparagus subject looks interesting , I must admit that ive never really been one for eating them

but know doubt if we commit to having a go at growing them we will have them on our dinner plate a lot rolleyes.gif .

My wife has arranged to go and help out at her friends asparagus set up ( the one in the photos ) to gain as much knowledge and information as she can , we are getting quotes for clearing our vacant land , having a water well dug , electrical power installed for a well pump , and other costs , to try and assess the over all start up financial investment . It seems after looking around the village where we live that there's a few other people growing asparagus and from talking to other non asparagus crop growers around us , it seems many land owners steer clear of growing asparagus because of the long financial return time scale compared to the normal cassava / corn / crop turn around time , all so most people with land don't have the time required to spend tending asparagus crops . One bonus we have is being able to walk through our garden gate and step on to our land .

More shots of my wifes friend's asaparagus set up.

15v6.jpg

wzo5.jpg

59mf.jpg

6b4e.jpg

The picked asparagus is washed and left to sit in water to increase its weight .

q3yc.jpg

In our market few days ago, 200b a kilo.

How lkng do the plants produce for....both in terms of the growing season per year and the life of the plant.

From what my wife's Thai friend who is growing asparagus told my wife it seems that to start she planted small starter asparagus plants rather than seeds , the small starter asparagus plants were fed food and watered on a daily basis and the first asparagus were started to be picked around 3 months later , this first pick time can vary depending on soil conditions, asparagus type and quality of attention received .

After the asparagus started to produce , they were picked every day for 2 months , then 1 month of rest , then repeat the cycle . The life of the asparagus plant can vary again depending on the above factors , but an estimation was given to my wife of around 3 - 6 years duration before new plants have to be planted.

This above information was told to my wife from her Thai friend then repeated by my wife to me , so from past experience when getting involved in translation , some facts may not be 100% accurate rolleyes.gif . We are actively looking for other local asparagus growers in our area so that we can gather more first hand information from on the subject.

Once established the root system will enlarge its area 9spread out) during the plant dorment time. A mature healthly system will produce shoots about

index finger size

and its best to cut when they about 6 to 8 inches tall. Then the whole shoot is tender, although the Thais seem to peel the lower woody part and

serve it anyway. The small diameter shoots indicate harvesting of immature root system, or a lack of nurishment for the plant. I use to harvest for

about 5 months then

let the plant grow and go to seed for the winter dominet stage. Clean the bed about a month prior to new growth for the dinner table.

• Like 1

Once established the root system will enlarge its area 9spread out) during the plant dorment time. A mature healthly system will produce shoots about

index finger size

and its best to cut when they about 6 to 8 inches tall. Then the whole shoot is tender, although the Thais seem to peel the lower woody part and

serve it anyway. The small diameter shoots indicate harvesting of immature root system, or a lack of nurishment for the plant. I use to harvest for

about 5 months then

let the plant grow and go to seed for the winter dominet stage. Clean the bed about a month prior to new growth for the dinner table.

Thanks for the info thumbsup.gif

Well to day my wife started to physically help out on her friends asparagus growing set up to try and gain some knowledge on the subject .

Here's a few more photographs .

q5_zps5a9b61b1.jpg

q3_zps62655f0d.jpg

q1_zps53ace543.jpg

q2_zpsbc2e0ef3.jpg

my wife will be going regularly to help out on her friends asparagus growing set up , until we are fairly satisfied that starting a new asparagus growing venture is viable and sustainable for us both .

So far ive only eaten asparagus boiled with other vegetables , but these two ideas are on my listbiggrin.png

Battered licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

f2_zps2e304884.jpg

Bacon wrapped shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

f1_zps446b06d2.jpg

• Like 2