Thai Police break up loan-shark gang

webfact

Police break up loan-shark gang
The Nation
Pathum Thani

BANGKOK: -- Sixteen youths aged between 14 and 18 - 10 boys and six girls - were rescued from a loan-shark gang in Pathum Thani's Lam Luk Ka district yesterday.

Police raided two houses in tambon Khu Khot at 9am yesterday, arresting four men, two of whom were identified as Athikhom Longthong, 25, and Sakchai Klinpong, 39.

The raid was launched after a parent filed a complaint with the Pavena Foundation, saying her young son had been detained by the gang and forced to work in lieu of interest on her loan. She said the boy was beaten up if he resisted.

Caretaker Social Development and Human Security Minister Pavena Hongsakul also witnessed the raid.

Initial interviews found that the gang forced the boys to collect debts from other borrowers and would be beaten up if they resisted. The youngsters were apparently paid Bt4,000 per month for this work.

Many of the youngsters apparently did what they were told as their parents still owed money to the gang, which is reportedly led by a man identified only as Samreung.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

Well the farmers for years have had to struggle with this and once again they are being loaned money to keep the food on the table with above the horizon interest, they are unable to repay and when or if they receive any money from the Government this will all go in loan shark repayments , so they will be at rock bottom again, not all farmers are in this position, but one farmer is too many, hence the suicides, money lenders should be registered , have regulated audits, and a limit on the interest and err no corruptionbah.gif

• Like 2

We're just now starting to see the tip of the iceberg of problems this rice scam has caused. I hope Thaksin is proud of himself.

Loan sharking pervades Thai society because the vast majority of the population have no access to banking facilities, overdrafts or legitimate loans. That added to the fact that Patum Thani is hardly a major rice producing province means that you really can't pin this one on Thaksin!

• Like 1

We're just now starting to see the tip of the iceberg of problems this rice scam has caused. I hope Thaksin is proud of himself.

Loan sharking pervades Thai society because the vast majority of the population have no access to banking facilities, overdrafts or legitimate loans. That added to the fact that Patum Thani is hardly a major rice producing province means that you really can't pin this one on Thaksin!

It's the number one technology and education zone of Thailand. It has received the largest amount of funding for R&D and the development of technology parks. Aside from being considered as part of Metro Bangkok, it is the part of Thailand where the jobs pay significantly more than the average wage. The attempted link to poor rice farmers suggests that the people making such claims are clueless as to Thailand's economy and geography (i.e. they don't grow rice in Bangkok or in the flower beds at the Biotech research facility) or they are manifesting symptoms of an obsessive compulsive disorder and blaming the bogeyman aka Thaksin, whenever there is a event involving crime. The place is filled with computer programmers and labrats, who I doubt have much interest in farming.

The simple explanation might just be that the borrowers were living beyond their means, or had a drug or gambling problem.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

As the leader of the gang has not been apprehended, I can only assume the debts are still outstanding and interest accruing, though collection of overdue payments may become a bit harsher.

"the gang forced the boys to collect debts" What were the 14 - 18yo girls doing, something more traditional?

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 2

It's the number one technology and education zone of Thailand. It has received the largest amount of funding for R&D and the development of technology parks. Aside from being considered as part of Metro Bangkok, it is the part of Thailand where the jobs pay significantly more than the average wage. The attempted link to poor rice farmers suggests that the people making such claims are clueless as to Thailand's economy and geography (i.e. they don't grow rice in Bangkok or in the flower beds at the Biotech research facility) or they are manifesting symptoms of an obsessive compulsive disorder and blaming the bogeyman aka Thaksin, whenever there is a event involving crime. The place is filled with computer programmers and labrats, who I doubt have much interest in farming.

The simple explanation might just be that the borrowers were living beyond their means, or had a drug or gambling problem.

"........the borrowers were living beyond their means, or had a drug or gambling problem."

Or they could have been forced out of work by the government's B300/day policy, or been deluded that they could afford a new car, or even a house, and relied on the government payment to cover the debt.

Edited by JRSoul
  • Like 2

children used as guarantor nothing suprises me.

Some posters idiocy doesn't surprise either, where does the report state that children were offered by their parents as guarantors? Nowhere. They were forced into the position that the police released them from by the lender.

• Like 1

Some posters idiocy doesn't surprise either, where does the report state that children were offered by their parents as guarantors? Nowhere. They were forced into the position that the police released them from by the lender.

I need the services of the Local loan shark ,I know others, that have had their sons taken away ,to repay debt , but that wont happen to us, Sounds plausible to me and gaurantees the loan shark will get his money

And people go to Loan Sharks when they either can't get a loan or credit legitimately, basically when they have no other choice.

The Rice Scam, Cheap Car, Cheap House populist policies (to name but a few), all will be millstone of debt around people's necks for years to come with an endless circle of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. All of those I can blame on Thaksin.

• Like 2

As the leader of the gang has not been apprehended, I can only assume the debts are still outstanding and interest accruing, though collection of overdue payments may become a bit harsher.

"the gang forced the boys to collect debts" What were the 14 - 18yo girls doing, something more traditional?

More than likely. You seem to be suggesting that the children were not doing something more acceptable and that, therefore, they deserved this. Ever think about giving the children the benefit of the doubt?

These loan sharks are everywhere in Thailand. They are highly organized.
Organized crime. They have advertisers, lenders and collectors.
The interest rates are at 10 baht per 100 baht a month.
This is an annual percentage rate of 120%.
Usury is banned in Thailand.
However, if the victims go to the police, they do normally nothing.
The victims in this story above, just had have luck.

if you believe they went on their own free will to do household chores without their parents wondering where they are, you also must be one of them posters that doesn't surprise us.