Applying For Visa / Master Card In Thailand

Hi,

I'm holding a work permit in Thailand for 1 year now....will I be able to apply for a personal credit card at this time? My income level meets the requirements...the only problem is the duration of work. Most application forms I came across states that in order to qualify I have to be working in Thailand for about 3 years.

My Thai friend asked me to try applying for the credit cards because she said sometimes the banks can be "flexible" and approve my card. Does anyone have any experience to share?

I can't see why any farang would want a Thai credit card, the interest rate are extortinate, there is no consumer protection, and most places want a surcharge if you pay by card. Get a debit card from the bank instead, almost just as useful and lower charges

I just got a big spiel for AMEX how they have great consumer protection, in a way that basically works the same way as the west.

Admittedly, AMEX has lousy coverage, but I use if mainly for work. Don't really need one in my day to day life.

I use Citibank Visa, and it was easy to get and has served me well here and abroad, unlike my Amex card which I should cancel! I was suprised to get a call from Citibank when I was on the Heathrow Express into London, to check that I had paid for the train myself to check for fraud! Great service!

I wanted to have a local bank credit card. I have a Visa from the us but the round trip of paying in Bath, getting a bill converted in dollars, transferring baht to my US account and paying that bill in dollars added a big overhead on the transaction. (at least I assume this)

I have saving account at Bangkok Bank and got a Visa there also (working here less than a year but do have work permit). They had me set aside 1000,000 baht in my savings to give me a Visa with 1000,000 baht limit. So at the start really a debit card would work better. But I wanted to build a local credit and banking relationship. Just the other day I got the forms and made a request to take off the hold – now they have a use & payment record, I have direct deposit from my employer and at some point they offer the credit outright. I’ll see how that goes. Have both online for bill payments etc.

As to debit versus credit card. Although 98% of the time I pay off my credit cards fully each month there are emergencies sometimes or a short cash flow issue and I like never worrying about things. The US Visa I have and will keep is one without a credit limit. In a way I think of this as a insurance policy. For instance I’ve rented cars in developing countries and have seen times for big deposits say $3000. Or what if I totaled the car and needed to pay cash. Or take some business or customer associates out to dinner – not so much of a problem here but in the US and Europe easy to have a dinner for a group that exceeds the cash in my debit account. Things like that. I guess it’s just a personal preference but I like having both options and wanted to have that with a local bank.