Thai Wooden House

maprao

Here I am again :D I am looking for a company that provides "ready made" makes houses from wood Thai style. Very much like the picture I am posting here. If anyone knows of one in Bangkok Chonburi it would be nice to know how to get the details. Anywhere in Sakeo would be wonderful :D Beers on me :o

post-18949-1148757691_thumb.jpg

Here I am again :D I am looking for a company that provides "ready made" makes houses from wood Thai style. Very much like the picture I am posting here. If anyone knows of one in Bangkok Chonburi it would be nice to know how to get the details. Anywhere in Sakeo would be wonderful :D Beers on me :o

Hopefully got the picture this time :D

I just drove back from Rayong to Pattaya on Highway 36 and there were a number of prefab Thai wooden houses in a field that looked like they were for sale viewable from the highway, on the left hand side going towards Rayong closer to Rayong.

They were in the style of your picture though not as big, perhaps they don't make big ones on spec?

I just drove back from Rayong to Pattaya on Highway 36 and there were a number of prefab Thai wooden houses in a field that looked like they were for sale viewable from the highway, on the left hand side going towards Rayong closer to Rayong.

They were in the style of your picture though not as big, perhaps they don't make big ones on spec?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have Ayuttaya thats where the pic came from :D just looking for other places. You mentioned there are lots. If you know the location phone website I would appreciate it. The wifey can then research it when she goes back to Thailand.

I am sure she would find them but she will only go back for about 3 weeks :o The one you mentioned fisherd3 is the one i was trying locate remember seeing it in the past. Does it have name just thinking for a google search.

Thanks again

Thanks for the help guys.

I have Ayuttaya thats where the pic came from :D just looking for other places. You mentioned there are lots. If you know the location phone website I would appreciate it. The wifey can then research it when she goes back to Thailand.

I am sure she would find them but she will only go back for about 3 weeks :o The one you mentioned fisherd3 is the one i was trying locate remember seeing it in the past. Does it have name just thinking for a google search.

Thanks again

I do not recall even seeing a board up just these rather ornate Thai houses, small size, but they looked impressive from a quality point of view as far as one can tell from the highway. :D

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same place as fisherd3 mentions. There's also another place on Highway 3, not far from the turning to Ban Phe - around 20km (I think) out of Rayong. (Heading from Rayong to Ban Phe it's on the left of the road.)

They have quite a few sizes and styles of house for around 1 million baht including delivery & construction. Nothing as large as the house in your photo though but I'd guess they could build pretty much anything you wanted.

There are a bunch of such companies in Ratchaburi (a few along highway 4 and then a lot more if you turn towards ban phaeo/damnoen saduak). However, I have looked around for a long time for this and they all look nice when they are new but the construction is usually of questionable quality so unless you do a lot of maintenance they will look like cr*p a few years down the road. Better to buy wood. Again, the same area in ratchaburi also has a lot of wood shops that sell old wood that they buy from isaan - they get old teak houses in exchange for new concrete houses that for some reason has more status with people who don't know/understand the actual value of their 80 year old teak houses. Hire some people and oversee the construction yourself. You will get more for the money and have at least a bit of control over the quality...

...and yeah, avoid urethane coating. It looks nice until it has been exposed to sunlight. After that it will flake and you will have a lot of grey wood to sand down...

I'm pretty sure I've seen the same place as fisherd3 mentions. There's also another place on Highway 3, not far from the turning to Ban Phe - around 20km (I think) out of Rayong. (Heading from Rayong to Ban Phe it's on the left of the road.)

They have quite a few sizes and styles of house for around 1 million baht including delivery & construction. Nothing as large as the house in your photo though but I'd guess they could build pretty much anything you wanted.

This one sounds good. At that price it would be interesting to see if they are just any ol "wood" or infact teak?

Everybodies input is appreciated :o

So it seems they are everywhere in Thailand. There is a very beautiful one at a Wat in Prasad, ( 30km's south of Surin) It's built on four concrete posts, painted to look exactly like wood. It's almost the same as the one in your pic. They did build it themselves though. In fact we are trying to find out exactly who built it so we can erect two in our new garden (4 1/2 rai)

So it seems they are everywhere in Thailand. There is a very beautiful one at a Wat in Prasad, ( 30km's south of Surin) It's built on four concrete posts, painted to look exactly like wood. It's almost the same as the one in your pic. They did build it themselves though. In fact we are trying to find out exactly who built it so we can erect two in our new garden (4 1/2 rai)

:D 2 for the garden? :D Like the one in the picture? I wish I had that much money for the garden :D The one in the picture retails at 2,450,000 Thai Baht! check it out i am putting the web address at the end.

My missus has brought me to task. There is a big difference between a thai wooden house "chownah style" ala up country and infact what I am referring to here are Bangsongthai.

These houses are made from Teak wood and will last longer than I or my son will be around to tell the story :D

The Thai houses referred to in an earlier post being exchanged for cement go very cheaply indeed

15-20,000 baht. Let's hope this clarifies this point and gets the wifey off my back ahahahaha

www.bangsongthai.com for the not so chownah wooden houses. They are however over priced in my opinion. :o Hence the thread looking for cheaper places. Having said that all input here is gratefully received.

:D 2 for the garden? :D Like the one in the picture? I wish I had that much money for the garden :D The one in the picture retails at 2,450,000 Thai Baht! check it out i am putting the web address at the end.

My missus has brought me to task. There is a big difference between a thai wooden house "chownah style" ala up country and infact what I am referring to here are Bangsongthai.

These houses are made from Teak wood and will last longer than I or my son will be around to tell the story :D

The Thai houses referred to in an earlier post being exchanged for cement go very cheaply indeed

15-20,000 baht. Let's hope this clarifies this point and gets the wifey off my back ahahahaha

www.bangsongthai.com for the not so chownah wooden houses. They are however over priced in my opinion. :o Hence the thread looking for cheaper places. Having said that all input here is gratefully received.

Is that address correct??? Link doesn't seem to work... :D

Is that address correct??? Link doesn't seem to work... :D

Sorry people the correct website is

http://www.bansongthai.com/

:D

Thanks for that...now all I have to do is learn Thai.... :D

:D

:D Yeah need to get a Thai Wife /GF. Alternately download the PDF Catalogue that has a contact that speaks english on it.

However all said that is the main reason for the post get as much info as possible. let me know when you master the thai language :o I speak English , Spanish , French and German. Can I learn Thai can I * :D ***!!!!

Anyone got any more details on teak houses in Isaan. I will be there in about 6 weeks and have a nice big chunk of land I could put one on. Anyone, knowledgable about teak houses living in that area who could advise? My father in law did a great job, at bargain rates, of doing up the current house but it's a bit rough around the edges for my liking and my wife wants a bit of space between her and her family. Amazing how people change!

Anyone got any more details on teak houses in Isaan. I will be there in about 6 weeks and have a nice big chunk of land I could put one on. Anyone, knowledgable about teak houses living in that area who could advise? My father in law did a great job, at bargain rates, of doing up the current house but it's a bit rough around the edges for my liking and my wife wants a bit of space between her and her family. Amazing how people change!

I am going to drift a bit off topic here but as i did the original post lol. Please do not take offense lambada as I do not know you and I am speaking generally.

Always make sure it is you that decides the original house is unsuitable not an idea put in your head. My experience is that Thais seldom want to put space between themseleves and the "family" :D:D Family is everything. Sometimes strange things happen to aquire further assets. I speak from knowledge of a swiss brother in law who is sinking incredibly ridiculous sums of money into thailand.

I have a loving and devoted wife and i like her family more than my own possibly and i can never advise people on what to do in Thailand. My rules are treat Thailand with a more caution than the stock market at least there you have the chance to make money. In Thailand you are luckyto walk away with what you put in if anything. Should things go wrong.

If you have only been there 6 weeks slow down and see how you like it. 6 weeks is still a " honeymoon period" after 6 months see how you feel.

this is a topic for another place but I felt i had to comment on the " space" issue :o:D

Maprao,

Before you buy a prefab house you should find out about wood. There are many different types commonly used in Thailand and the quality ranges from very bad to very good. It is absolutely crucial that the different parts of a house are made of wood of appropriate quality.

Not only is it important to get the ride type of wood for the various parts of the house but also the right grade of wood. For instance, teak wood can be either mountain grown or valley grown. Mountain grown will be stronger and more rot/insect resistent. Also, teak wood can be either heart wood or sap wood. Sap wood is the white wood that is on the outside of the log and heart wood is the dark colored wood in the center. Sap wood is not as strong as the heart wood and is not resistent to rot/insects....it should bed avoided. The sap wood of all types of wood should be avoided for the same reason. Also....wood can have knots or be knot free....this effects the strength of the wood which is important when used as a structural member but it also impacts the aesthetics.

To sum up: Learn about wood...and don't assume that if you see a model of a prefab house you want to buy that the one you will get will have the same quality of wood throughout.

Chownah

• 2 weeks later...
At a guess...How much would it cost to build something like this???

http://property.huahinafterdark.com/viewpr...01&type=H&for=S

Thanks

I looked at the link maybe you could send the pic to the link I posted earlier and see if they could design it for you and give you a quote. The one in the pic i put is 25 million and the others on their site range to about 4.5 million :o

Maprao,

Before you buy a prefab house you should find out about wood. There are many different types commonly used in Thailand and the quality ranges from very bad to very good. It is absolutely crucial that the different parts of a house are made of wood of appropriate quality.

Not only is it important to get the ride type of wood for the various parts of the house but also the right grade of wood. For instance, teak wood can be either mountain grown or valley grown. Mountain grown will be stronger and more rot/insect resistent. Also, teak wood can be either heart wood or sap wood. Sap wood is the white wood that is on the outside of the log and heart wood is the dark colored wood in the center. Sap wood is not as strong as the heart wood and is not resistent to rot/insects....it should bed avoided. The sap wood of all types of wood should be avoided for the same reason. Also....wood can have knots or be knot free....this effects the strength of the wood which is important when used as a structural member but it also impacts the aesthetics.

To sum up: Learn about wood...and don't assume that if you see a model of a prefab house you want to buy that the one you will get will have the same quality of wood throughout.

Chownah

Thanks for the advice, my research has started already thanks to your words of caution :o

I have a property away from my main House, one big bungalow set in 6 rai of landscaped gardens, i am going to open it as a resort and put 20 log cabins in the gardens, and situate them under the mature trees, they look like the thai houses but a bit smaller, they will be raised off the ground by stilts about 3 foot, these are all made of teak with tin roofs, with thatch on the top thai style curves etc. inside all done with bamboo style panels, they are very cool and look the business, got balconys etc, and the price for one is, an amazing 200,000 baht. my mate in khon kaen has had a couple built, and he lets them out for 500 baht per night.

I have a property away from my main House, one big bungalow set in 6 rai of landscaped gardens, i am going to open it as a resort and put 20 log cabins in the gardens, and situate them under the mature trees, they look like the thai houses but a bit smaller, they will be raised off the ground by stilts about 3 foot, these are all made of teak with tin roofs, with thatch on the top thai style curves etc. inside all done with bamboo style panels, they are very cool and look the business, got balconys etc, and the price for one is, an amazing 200,000 baht. my mate in khon kaen has had a couple built, and he lets them out for 500 baht per night.

Now you have caught my interest !! You are only up the road from me so to speak in Buriram. Are you buying the materials and building them yourself or are you getting someone in? Seems a good price :o thinking along the lines of materials etc and labour. Do you have someone to build them yet in your area? Please keep me posted

Swelters,

Read the blog very good. I especially like the intro prior to the flight. :o

Thanks for the comment, maprao. One thing, our experience is that most Thai houses do not have teak walls, though there may be some teak elswhere in the house, eg floor boards. In fact there may not be any compelling reason for using teak in all applications for these kinds of buildings (as opposed to say yacht decks where dimensional stability is important). Teak is very scarce now, expensive, you may be often sold decent hardwoods that are not teak but told they are teak.

We don't find plantation grown teak particularly good quality, it is usually only about 10-12 years old. It is often highly touted to appeal to the green interests. Old teak is the way to go, if you can find it.

We have relied on our craft people to pass on wood for our projects, they can't be fooled and don't have an interest in the material sale (we divide purchasing and labor/craft into separate activities, that is the best practice in our view.)

Swelters

Edited by Swelters