India visa for Thai girlfriend

Has anyone experience of a Thai national applying for a tourist visa for India?

Is it straightforward? Complicated? Difficult? Easy?

To be more specific: I (British) and my Thai girlfriend want to go on a cruise which stops in India. Even if she stays on the ship when it docks, she still needs a visa – fact, and not open to debate.

For all the other countries the ship stops at, she, as a Thai national, does not need a visa.

Any replies will be appreciated.

I did a tourist visa for my Thai GF for India 2 years ago. It was realy easy. I applied personally at the embassy in Bangkok because I needed the visa very urgent but you can just go to any travel agency. They will do it for you.

Very straight forward for a Thai national in Thailand. In fact they turn around visas for Thais much faster than they do for other nationalities. I've been there twice on my Thai passport and the visa was issued easily.

Which leads me to wonder, won't you need visa for India? Most western nationalities have to.

Which leads me to wonder, won't you need visa for India? Most western nationalities have to.

Yes, I probably do. (I haven't actually checked.)

But I'm assuming a India visa for a British citizen will be a formality, with no hoops to jump through.

Thank you for answers so far.

But I'm assuming a India visa for a British citizen will be a formality, with no hoops to jump through.

If applying in Bangkok make sure they'll even issue you one. Many embassies won't issue visas to those who aren't ordinarily resident in that country.

But for sure, a non Thai will have a slower turn around time. Check the envassy website. It is informative from memory.

If applying in Bangkok make sure they'll even issue you one. Many embassies won't issue visas to those who aren't ordinarily resident in that country.

But for sure, a non Thai will have a slower turn around time. Check the envassy website. It is informative from memory.

Thank you, Samran.

I have just looked at the website and very quickly saw this:

"Please note that it is a mandatory requirement to be present in the United Kingdom at the time of applying and obtaining an Indian visa".

I live in Thailand. So, to get a visa I must go back to the UK to apply for and obtain it. What a fiasco!

That's the cruise out the window!

Thank you, Samran.

I have just looked at the website and very quickly saw this:

"Please note that it is a mandatory requirement to be present in the United Kingdom at the time of applying and obtaining an Indian visa".

I live in Thailand. So, to get a visa I must go back to the UK to apply for and obtain it. What a fiasco!

That's the cruise out the window!

You should look into applying at the embassy in Bangkok if you live in Bangkok