Thai rice farmers seek sympathy from tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

So are they going to pay the tourists back when they do get paid or is this just an easy target for some fast cash ? for that matter how easy will it be for other unscrupulous Thais to pretend to be farmers now ?

Not comfortable with this one at all, farmers i sympathise with but tapping tourists is ridiculous why dont they go around the streets like suthep if its that bad for them ... charity begins at home and so does the help n all that... now screwing tourists it should be thais they are tapping at the least

Have to say this needs to be stopped asap

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, well,... I don't really know what to say,... whether I should laugh or should I cry,...

... when rice farmers go that far to such International tourism areas. That's the first time I've ever heard such thing.

All I can say is that soon there will be a discussion of mixed opinions here...

It's the first time in Thailand that a government has failed to meet its financial obligations.

They have worked hard for us and now are reduced to begging.

What would any of us do if we were in their predicament?

I'd go get my Rice

• Like 1

from the OP:

Farmers waited for foreign tourists emerging out the airport’s departure lounge and gave them token made from rice straws tied with flag color ribbon as a gesture of welcoming.

Where are the farmers meeting the tourists? I doubt they can enter the sterile area where the departure lounges (gates) are.

Seriously? Don't they have any shame at all?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Lets let you and your family spend all of your money with no chance to make more and see if you are not reduced to doing this. Show some sympathy mate. These farmers could be your family. Hopeless with noone to turn to and in great debt

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Go out & find other jobs that will put food on the table. Income will not come to those that just sit & wait. Everyone has a choice.....work or don't work & beg.

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Farmers, some of whose families have been farming the same land for generations are are suddenly supposed to stop farming and find jobs.

So.... Where are all these jobs waiting for all the rice farmers?

Do you practice writing crass comments? You're very good at it.

Plenty of jobs in Thailand. Might have to displace a few Cambodians and Burmese first though.

• Like 1

This is where its all taken out of proportion,poor farmers dont have chanote land therefore could not go into the pledging scheme.

Its the middle class farmer who,i say who should have a bit of business knowledge having entered this scheme.

Now if you run a mediocre business,you should still have funds for the next couple of years to see you through if paid or not for a certain amount of time.

If you dont,you should sell your chanote land and get out of business.One of the problems with the thais is they dont like to sell assets if there struggling.

I'm sure there will be farmers hurting,but the percentage will be small.

Usually the poor farmer without land entrusts his rice with a relative or friend who has a chanote for his rice fields and so in a round about manner is also "in the scheme"

People come to Thailand for a holiday on their saved cash for such a holiday. They should not be subjected to beggars at the airport on arrival and the Police should have them removed. The Gov is now paying them, so bugger off.

Is that true - the government is now paying them? How many, how much?

• Like 1

This is where its all taken out of proportion,poor farmers dont have chanote land therefore could not go into the pledging scheme.

Its the middle class farmer who,i say who should have a bit of business knowledge having entered this scheme.

Now if you run a mediocre business,you should still have funds for the next couple of years to see you through if paid or not for a certain amount of time.

If you dont,you should sell your chanote land and get out of business.One of the problems with the thais is they dont like to sell assets if there struggling.

I'm sure there will be farmers hurting,but the percentage will be small.

Usually the poor farmer without land entrusts his rice with a relative or friend who has a chanote for his rice fields and so in a round about manner is also "in the scheme"

Thats not how its works,otherwise who's to blame.

People come to Thailand for a holiday on their saved cash for such a holiday. They should not be subjected to beggars at the airport on arrival and the Police should have them removed. The Gov is now paying them, so bugger off.

Is that true - the government is now paying them? How many, how much?

That's easy to answer. The Farang did not buy the rice, which the government tried to sell, Hence, the government couldn't pay the farmers.

Result = whole Thailand blame the Farang, All is well - Thailand is good, falang is bad!

• Like 1

I see this action as a stroke of genius. What a first impression of Thailand after a long hall flight. They created a fantastic sound-byte for CNN. This is bound to go viral. Look at the the conundrum it created in this limited peanut gallery.

• Like 2

If the farmers wish to dun people for money, instead of begging from

astounded tourists, I would think a better idea would be to find out who

has the 400 billion baht that is missing ( Thaksin and fellow elites),

and go get their money from them..... Is that an over application of farang logic ?

They could start by harassing the police to do their job and find out where the money has gone. Oh, I forgot Thaksin has probably got them firmly in his pocket.

As long as their legitimate,i dont have a problem with that.

When figures are being altered which makes it hard on the overall log keeping of the project.

Who knows where they stand from bottom to top,this will take a long time to sort out.

Hm, well,... I don't really know what to say,... whether I should laugh or should I cry,...

... when rice farmers go that far to such International tourism areas. That's the first time I've ever heard such thing.

All I can say is that soon there will be a discussion of mixed opinions here...

What a picture.

Rice Farmers degraded to beggars by stupid Agricultural Policy

Why the donation box?

I thought Suthep had collected more than 20 million in 1 day last week for the farmers?

Ha Ha I doubt it would be for the farmers, more likely his pocket. Just another one on the bandwagon ripping of the Thai's.

30 mins in the airport seems so short !

why drive for a few hours to the airport, and only stay there for 30 mins ???? (not much of a campaign).

the article said that the airport staff allowed them to stay there, so why did they leave so quickly?

Maybe they just did it in a hope to make the news papers to put more pressure on the government. (if thats the case, then yes, they did it).

but really... 30 mins is not at all long enough to get sufficient money for even a couple of familes.

so it must have been a media campaign,, (rather than a donation campaign).

• Like 1

They were there a short time so it was not like they impacted that many tourists. Also it appears they did not mug the tourists but gave them small gifts and were asking for a donation. So why should the police remove them they weren't disrupting any operations. Don't they have the right to peacefully gather in public and protest? or you still think Thailand should rule with an iron fist like when "others" were in charge.

If you were in their shoes what would you do? They worked hard to grow their crop of rice for their annual income, the govt offered them a better price and then delays months in paying. Most of those farmers owe workers who helped harvest the rice, suppliers for fertilizer etc and I'm sure they are being asked for what is owed. On top of that they have bills to pay that they typically count on the cash from the annual rice harvest. You go to get paid and keep being told come back later, come back later. It appears your cry to the govt for not being paid are unheard so why not try and get some international attention, make the govt lose face. Just might work! If your employer did not pay you what would you do? Just sit home and wait?

I think you have no idea how farmers in Thailand really live. My company deals in agriculture sector so I work with allot of farmers and because of this I live in Issan. I know these farmers and the issues they are having from not being paid. They count on that money to pay the majority of their bills for the year.

You are worried about a few tourists that were greeted by these farmers, I'm sure their encounter with immigration was more painful than dealing with this handful of farmers.

Edited by ericthai
  • Like 1

How long before they will start to blame the foreigner ?

When the man in Dubai brainwash tells them to... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Afraid you got the wrong role model, lad. The bloke with the box is operating on a page out of the Suthep playbook of hustling street cash. But the bottom line is that this was nothing more or nothing less than a 30 minute photo op.

How long before they will start to blame the foreigner ?

When the man in Dubai brainwash tells them to... whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Taksin and his little sis are starting to lose their luster with the rice farmers who have been lied to and screwed by the rice scheme enacted by the present government. Maybe you haven't read that many of these farmers have been demonstrating "against" Yinluck and her government.

The government is "now" paying them nothing. Yinluck they'll be paid soon, but she's done that several times already and still hasn't paid.

There are some utter ar**oles on this forum who've probably gleaned their knowledge from the TV in the bar. These people graft hard for their money upto twelve hours a day why shouldn't they make their case known to everyone and to the poster who said they should get another job if the government's not paying them why?? they've got a job and they need THEIR money that they've grafted for to start working again.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Um, whilst I agree with the thrust of your post, I do remember watching a doc which said they work around 4 to 5 hours per day. Still back breaking work though. Bit like the Burmese here on Phuket building sites.

Why the donation box?

I thought Suthep had collected more than 20 million in 1 day last week for the farmers?

Did you read that they were only at airport for 30 minutes? The donation box was to make a point, not to raise any significant money.