Bank statement for application for tourist visa

A bank statement is required by some Thai embassies, KL and Jakarta are two examples, when apply for a tourist visa.

I have a few questions regarding the statement:

1. Can the bank statment for proof of funds be a Thai bank? I have a thai bank account.
  2. Or does it have to be a bank in the country on your passport?
  3. How much money must you show in the account?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

FD&S

I would just forget KL. They even want a letter from your employer. It appears from reports I have read that they only want to issue tourist visas to citizens or residents of Malaysia.

Jakarta's website has no info about their requirements. All they have is a link to the generic visa info on the MFA website.

From 2. on this page: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

I suggest you contact them for info: http://www.thaiembassy.org/jakarta/en/organize/17506-Address.html

• Like 1

Can anyone please answer my questions regarding the bank statement?

I doubt they would accept your Thai bank account as, if it is a savings account, you will have a passbook. Even if you transfer money into that account, it will not be recorded in your passbook until you update it in Thailand.

I have never been asked to demonstrate that I can support myself financially while visiting Thailand on a tourist visa. However, if KL want to see proof that you can do this before they issue you with a visa, then you will need to produce bank statements that are either printed by the bank, or if printed from your online account are stamped with the bank's stamp. By analogy with extensions of non-o visas on grounds of marriage or retirement, it would be prudent to have a letter from your bank confirming the balance in your account as shown of the statement. The statement should be made up to the date of your application and the bank's letter must also be dated the same day. You might not need the letter in which case nothing is lost. However, if you need it but do not have it you will not get a visa. Whether and from where you can get these documents will determine which of your bank accounts, if any, you can use for this purpose.

As to how much? At least 20,000 Baht being shown as available funds (double that in respect of a family).

I do not know where you are. If you are in Thailand, consider going to Savannakhet to get your visa. I was there a few weeks ago and they did not require proof of income for any type of visa - I got a 12 month multi-entry non-O. Quite a few people applied for and got 60 day double entry tourist visas.

edited to add financials.

Edited by rreddin

I doubt they would accept your Thai bank account as, if it is a savings account, you will have a passbook. Even if you transfer money into that account, it will not be recorded in your passbook until you update it in Thailand.

I have never been asked to demonstrate that I can support myself financially while visiting Thailand on a tourist visa. However, if KL want to see proof that you can do this before they issue you with a visa, then you will need to produce bank statements that are either printed by the bank, or if printed from your online account are stamped with the bank's stamp. By analogy with extensions of non-o visas on grounds of marriage or retirement, it would be prudent to have a letter from your bank confirming the balance in your account as shown of the statement. The statement should be made up to the date of your application and the bank's letter must also be dated the same day. You might not need the letter in which case nothing is lost. However, if you need it but do not have it you will not get a visa. Whether and from where you can get these documents will determine which of your bank accounts, if any, you can use for this purpose.

As to how much? At least 20,000 Baht being shown as available funds (double that in respect of a family).

I do not know where you are. If you are in Thailand, consider going to Savannakhet to get your visa. I was there a few weeks ago and they did not require proof of income for any type of visa - I got a 12 month multi-entry non-O. Quite a few people applied for and got 60 day double entry tourist visas.

I will be applying in Jakarta for a triple entry tourist visa. They require a bank statement and onward ticket(s). I am currently in Thailand. I have significant funds in Thai Banks and also in banks back home. There is no way I will travel back to my home country to get a stamped hard copy bank statement. I can however print on online easily. I am currently in Thailand (and will be up until my departure to Thailand). So I can get a printed (and stamped) statement from the bank if required.

If any member who reads this thread has recently submitted a bank statment for a tourist visa, can you please let me know what bank the statement was from, and whether it was just one you printed out online or whether it was a hard copy provided and stamped by the bank.

• 3 months later...

I'm bringing in 9000,00 cash to live through a triple entry .This obviously isn't documented through wire transfers and it's not documented for US customs because its under the $10,000 declared exemption. So how do I substantiate that I live on this since I don't receive money transfers and I might only use my Atm card once or twice for emergencies .I think this has somewhat interest for this thread. serious comments only please, thank you

Edited by riclag

I'm bringing in 9000,00 cash to live through a triple entry .This obviously isn't documented through wire transfers and it's not documented for US customs because its under the $10,000 declared exemption. So how do I substantiate that I live on this since I don't receive money transfers and I might only use my Atm card once or twice for emergencies .I think this has somewhat interest for this thread. serious comments only please, thank you

Save your receipt when you change the dollars to baht

Best would be to put the Baht into Thai bank account and show that the money came from the money you brought into the country.

Just had a single entry issued in KL and had copies of bank statements and outward flight tickets in my pocket as I read they are required. I didn't want to show my statements unless absolutely necessary. I was not asked for either, just the application form and 1 passport photo.

Was alot easier than people have been posting on here. Lodged my application at 11am and picked up at 3pm the following day. I have previously had page after page of visa exempt stamps and no tourist visa in my passport.

• Like 1

I'd find it much simpler & easier just to bring 20K in cash.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a single-entry tourist visa in KL. It was my first time there. I don't have any VOA's, but a few tourist visas from other places as I travel around the region like I do as a tourist.

I have a US passport and didn't get asked any questions or need to provide anything other than a photo, the form, the fee, and copy of my passport (get one ahead of time. There is no copy machine for use there, and the nearest place is a couple of blocks away).

But there were other people there getting initially denied with "you must be working" when applying for another tourist visa. One guy from South Africa, and several others I didn't talk with. They were then giving proof of funds and such to show they were not working and had just saved money to travel long-term. I didn't stick around to see if they got denied after the follow-up.

I had zero problems and nothing but a pleasant experience there (despite the hike to the copy machine). There were quite a few people there at the beginning of the week.

Pick up the next day took about 15 seconds.

Edited by NomadRip

I'm sorry of this is not the answer you want, but just avoid any consulate that wants to see a statement for a tourist visa !

There are plenty of consulates that will never ask for anything other then your passport, 2 photos, a filled out form and a fee. Savannakhet springs to mind.

Let me ask what kind of visa you are talking about?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There was a hint in the title of the thread:

Bank statement for application for tourist visa

and in the first line of the OP

when apply for a tourist visa.

I don't have any VOA's, but a few tourist visas from other places as I travel around the region like I do as a tourist.

I have a US passport

Americans are not eligible for visas on arrival

Visa Exemption then? I have not shown up at a border without a Visa already in my passport, but that. I don't know what the correct term is. Perhaps you could specify with your correction.

For my non-o issued in Bahrain I emailed them for what they required and when I applied they wanted three months of bank statements. Had to drive back to Saudi to get them. A bit of a hassle but no real problem. They did not care which bank the statements were from just proof of funds.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What happened to your dream 25 year Indonesian visa? Now you want to come back to Thailand?

Hopefully this will cure you of your whining about the Kingdom for a while. But I doubt it.

• Like 2

Has anybody noticed what the dates on the posts you are replying to. This topic was started on February 17th.

Thanks for info. Why is it quoted in the news letter if it is that old?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have a US passport and didn't get asked any questions or need to provide anything other than a photo, the form, the fee, and copy of my passport (get one ahead of time. There is no copy machine for use there, and the nearest place is a couple of blocks away).

So you didn't need to "provide" them with your passport?

Why would they want a "copy of (your) passport" & not the real thing?

I've recieved many tourist visas in various countries (SG, VN, Canada) & never been asked for a copy, only the real thing.

Did they want you to provide a copy of every single page, including the front & back covers?

At what point did they put a tourist visa in your real passport?

I've recieved many tourist visas in various countries (SG, VN, Canada) & never been asked for a copy, only the real thing.

Did they want you to provide a copy of every single page, including the front & back covers?

They want your passport and a copy of the photo page. Perhaps they made the copy themselves where you applied before.

• Like 1

Because it is on page one after somebody dredged it up and did a post on it earlier today and the date was not noticed when they did the newsletter.

I posted here because on the pinned post of "Latest reports of getting a visa in the region" thread, it links the latest report of single-entry Tourist visas in KL to the post in here from June 10. I thought I'd add to the same place instead of starting an entirely new thread.

Yes, you still need to leave your passport with them. They also want a copy of it. There is a copier upstairs for this at Vientiane, and a guy in a van outside the building at Penang who provides this (and other) services. Just no copier available at the Thai Embassy in KL.

Edited by NomadRip