FDA blames Japanese anime for Thai teens' obsession with body image

webfact

FDA blames Japanese anime for Thai teens' obsession with body image
By Coconuts Bangkok

"Lum Invader" the female protagonist from Rumiko Takahashi's manga and anime series Urusei Yatsura

BANGKOK: -- Female teens around the world suffer from body image insecurity and eating disorders, but the motives might have some regional differences.

So why do Thai girls feel insecure about their bodies and adopt insane methods to lose weight?

A top public health official has identified a foreign social evil that’s responsible for robbing Thai teens of their confidence: Japanese anime.

Thai teenagers are obsessed with the unrealistic skinny bodies they see in Japanese anime, so they use dangerous diet pills and get addicted to coffee and tea, according to Prapon Angtrakul, deputy secretary general of the Food and Drugs Administration.

The FDA seems to think Thai teens look to Sailor Moon and Chobits for role models, despite the abundance of silicon-stuffed actresses and stick-figure fashion models in local media.

Once again, the message is admirable even if the argument seems unsound: Diet pills are often sold without FDA approval and contain illegal drugs with life-threatening side effects such as fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine, sibutramine. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/17/fda-blames-japanese-anime-thai-teens-obsession-body-image

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-02-17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The image displayed above, and in most Japanese anime, is a heck of a lot more buxom than the average Thai teen figure, so how on earth can this idiot blame Japanese anime for Thai teens taking unhealthy and illegally produced drugs? These street drugs, offered in most pharmacies, as are most western drugs without a GPs prescription (copied, of course), are the responsibility of the FDA to track down and eliminate. However, as usual, they make so much money inspectors take back-handers, an ignore the issue.

Most Thai teenagers would be cramming Macdonald's down them to reach a figure like the anime shown above. Complete BS from the FDA idiot.

Edit: Additionally, I'd be very wary of blaming Japan for anything in the current financial climate.... Toyota is not tooo happy right now.....

Edited by Why ask
  • Like 1

IMO Thai ladies are the most beautiful in the world. When you look at 18 year old's there are many nationalities that are equally as beautiful but they seem to lose there looks as they get older where as Thai ladies retain their looks much longer. There are many reason why i live in Thailand all the pretties to look at everyday is just one of them.

Recently I was in Europe and you hardly find a 18 year old that isn't fat or looking otherwise extreme ugly....I was shocked how fat the people get...

Of course there are still beautiful one but the percentage is low.

• Like 2

IMO Thai ladies are the most beautiful in the world. When you look at 18 year old's there are many nationalities that are equally as beautiful but they seem to lose there looks as they get older where as Thai ladies retain their looks much longer. There are many reason why i live in Thailand all the pretties to look at everyday is just one of them.

Recently I was in Europe and you hardly find a 18 year old that isn't fat or looking otherwise extreme ugly....I was shocked how fat the people get...

Of course there are still beautiful one but the percentage is low.

Aint that the truth.

I laugh at how fat my western family is and they ask me why im thin and fit. giggle.gif

"Thai teenagers are obsessed with the unrealistic skinny bodies they see in Japanese anime, so they use dangerous diet pills and get addicted to coffee and tea, according to Prapon Angtrakul, deputy secretary general of the Food and Drugs Administration."

Now, I'm even more confused. Teenagers get addicted to coffee and tea? jing lor? Since when?

When's the last time you saw a teenager craving for a coffee? cheesy.gif

They retain their looks I agree, some of them even manage to do it without surgery, but they aren't the prettiest and they most certainly aren't the sexiest. smile.png

• Like 2

They retain their looks I agree, some of them even manage to do it without surgery, but they aren't the prettiest and they most certainly aren't the sexiest. smile.png

And apparently , they are so beautiful, that those with the cash spend their life yearning for augmentation surgery.

Gross insecurity isn't the most endearing quality.

In this thread I'm glad we disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. No need for anyone to get into a fight over a pretty girl. smile.png