Double Pricing On Samui

Laugh it off, nothing you can do about it 

......only a fool would sit and laugh as they are being taken advantage of. if you enjoy being taken advantage off in such a blatant and humiliating manner then fine,smile at them as they laugh in your face. if your lady had had your best interests at heart she would have walked away. i'm glad she is not my lady.

go ahead let them take your money, to me its just greedy,insulting, ugly racist crap.

5 baht or 500 baht, its not the amount, its the presumption that as a foriegner i have money to throw away and that i am too stupid to see what is going on.

if i am with thais and i get charged over the odds then the thais will tell me to shop elsewhere before telling the shopkeeper/restauranteur/park gatekeeper what they think of it.

you could do what a lot of people do and just walk away and buy your bananas at the next stall. there are plenty of decent people in this country to buy from.

thais would not put up with it ,i would not put up with my wife being charged more for being a thai in the uk, why should i put up with such garbage here.

its immoral and wrong.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I suggest listing the place at:

www.fairprice-thailand.org

It's a recently started site for just these kinds of issues.

Note that I think Samui (and all ultra-touristed places) are worst for these kinds of things. I don't think I ever had this happen in Chiang Mai when it comes to restaurants. (There's of course national parks & things like snake shows, but I consider this less evil than food. Over-charging on food is a very bad thing to do. )

Note that I would definetely would NOT have paid the higher price in that Samui restaurant.

Cheers,

Chanchao

• 2 weeks later...
I know of plenty of restaurants that DO NOT operate a double pricing policy.

first: long time scince i was in here, I moved to norway again.

Second; my solution about NOT pay double farang price. I bring my kon dee wife, and she talk, (while I cant talk proper thai yet)

problem solved, in many cases.

And, we ALWAYS ask for real thai food, no farang developements.. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
:o Had an experience at Will Wait in Lamai.Been there several times,the last time the lady serving had attitude plus.After paying for the meal,she decided I hadn't paid ,even though I had the change still in my hands.They can keep on waiting.Last time there.

:o Had an experience at Will Wait in Lamai.Been there several times,the last time the lady serving had attitude plus.After paying for the meal,she decided I hadn't paid ,even though I had the change still in my hands.They can keep on waiting.Last time there.

You didn't pay again did you ?

When my girlfriend and I eat out at thai restaurants, she carries the money,

and checks the bill, her face says it all when we have been overcharged because

I am sitting with her.

When I go back to these restaurants on my own for a take out, I am now

charged thai rate. I think it varies restaurant to restaurant. I know it's only small

money we are talking about but it does come down to the principle.

Like I was told by a taxi driver in Bangkok once;

'YOU FARALANG YOU HAVE BIG MONEY'

Will Wait in chewang ain't that bad actually.

I happen to know the owner of Will Wait. Her husband is a former Chief of Police of Samui.

I happen to know that the landowners on Samui are increasing their rents considerably when the leases come up for renewing.

Businesses such as will wait suffer as the the landowners perceive that as they have 'farang' customers, they can pay more.

If there was a misunderstanding, remember TIT. The owner probably wasn't there and whoever served you probably didn't jhave the power to countermand an order possibly given by the 'boss'.

They have hefty overheards and would find it difficult to survive if they didn't have a differing farang menu.

Buyer beware, ensure you know the correct price before ordering, if that is important to you.

I know of the owner also,she is the one that keeps ALL here jewellery in the Siam City Bank in Chaweng.I also know the Farang that was banging her !!!!!!!

I will never WAIT !!!!!!!!

If she's that accommodating it gives you something to do while you wait. :o

Will Wait was originally started(I think in Lamai or South Chaweng) by the sister of the current 'boss'.

As well as Will Wait two other sisters have similar set ups. Best Bakery opposite Soi Green Mango and, completely seperate from the others(suppliers etc), Chaweng Khaosan, adjacent to the entrance of Samui Coral Resort and P&P Resort.

I happen to know that the landowners on Samui are increasing their rents considerably when the leases come up for renewing.

Businesses such as will wait suffer as the the landowners perceive that as they have 'farang' customers, they can pay more.

If there was a misunderstanding, remember TIT. The owner probably wasn't there and whoever served you probably didn't jhave the power to countermand an order possibly given by the 'boss'.

They have hefty overheards and would find it difficult to survive if they didn't have a differing farang menu.

oh dear, i'm weeping buckets for the hard done by impoverished thai business owners on samui.

lets have a whip round right now,send some food parcels urgently,open up those soup kitchens, quick,call the red cross and oxfam.

there was no misunderstanding at all, it was all made very clear by the belligerent and ignorant manageress.

i ordered a thai dish from the thai menu, this was clear to the waiter that took the order. i was charged according to the english menu which has the same dish at a more expensive price. when i brough this to the attention of the manageress, among other things she said i should be thankful that i was only charged the thai price for my cold drink.

there is no excuse for that kind of treatment to customers,the amount of money in question was tiny, but that is not the point. i hope the rent for those shysters does put them out of business, because they dont know anything about business, but they do know how to cheat,take advantage of and insult their customers, the customers who pay that rent,the customers who pay the wages and the customers who will recommend the place to others if they are satisfied customers.

no business should have two differing prices for the same service. if they cant afford the rent,then raise prices all round or sell up and move on.

the sooner operations like that close down then the better it is for the reputation of samui,the reputation of thai business practices and the confidence of tourists and residents that they are being truly welcomed into this country( as all the tourist posters abroad would have us believe)and not just taken advantage of because they think we are rich and stupid and cannot understand the language.

and i find farang apologists for this double pricing system even more abhorrent than the sorry scamsters who revel in attempting to screw every last penny out of tourists for third rate facilities and services.

a mighty pox on the lot of you :o

lets have a whip round right now

I'm with you on this one,what do you reckon cat'o nine tails or bullwhip.

I for one am getting sick of this dual pricing nonsense.

I know this has nothing to do with Koh Samui but get a load of this,We had a problem with the toilet backing up."Somchai" turns up and starts to dig through the concrete floor with a sharpened piece of re bar as I would like to see this job finished before I die I dug through the 4 inches of concrete with my Hilti hammer until we hit re bar.

In his extensive tool kit he had a hacksaw blade with a piece of rag for a handle so off I go and get the grinder and I cut through the re bar whilst he was having a well earned break.

When the job was finally done she said how much?

Somchai said it should have been four hundred baht but as she had a Farang husband it's six hundred baht and I did all the hard work.

Please don't say TiT and I have more money than them as it won't wash I'm afraid.

that made me laugh because at my wifes family's house in bangkok they also have a somchai, probably your somchais twin brother because the toolkit sounds familiar.

in the all the years that i have been coming here, if ever there was a plumbing,painting,drainage or electrical problem somchai has always been the first one called, the whole family will drop everything to watch and shout instructions and "helpful hints" to the hapless somchai as he struggles with his handleless screwdriver or his sellotape insulating tape(handed to him by his assistant, his wifes brother) trying in vain to either figure out the spaghetti of wiring or to reach the inaccesible thing hes trying to fix. all he succeeds in doing is waking up the cockroaches that live behind the cupboard. he has never righted any problem but he is always called out first. why? because he is cheap. but he has never fixed anything i say, but he nearly did would be the reply.

amazing thailand. :o

I think you may have misunderstood my post.

Firstly, the 'manageress' is not the owner. Maybe she was wrong, maybe you were wrong. I wasn't there.

Secondly, my mentioning of the rising rents on Samui wasn't connected to Will Wait in particular.

It's the reason why you will find it difficult, if not impossible to get 'Thai priced' meals on Chaweng Beach road. This is why I mentioned the farang menu. If the resaurants here charged 'Thai prices', they would go out of business.

I happen to know that very few are 'raking the money in'.

Farang restaurant will become increasingly expensive.

If you want Thai prices, you go to the restaurants that Thai people frequent.

Thirdly, as much as you would like to be considered, 'one of the community' you are not Thai and never will be.

Accept that there are going to be downsides. The upside is that you get a much better standard of living than you would get with the same funds in the UK/Europe/USA.

Still you complain over a few baht. It's a little sad.

If this is so important and upsetting for you, I suggest that you review your priorities.

I think you may have misunderstood my post.

Firstly, the 'manageress' is not the owner. Maybe she was wrong, maybe you were wrong.

i wasn't wrong, i ordered at one price and was charged at another.
Secondly, my mentioning of the rising rents on Samui wasn't connected to Will Wait in particular.

It's the reason why you will find it difficult, if not impossible to get 'Thai priced' meals on Chaweng Beach road.

this was in nathon,not chaweng. and i wasn't looking for a thai priced meal.i was looking for a meal, i just wasnt expecting the price to go up whilst i was eating the fcking meal.!

This is why I mentioned the farang menu. If the resaurants here charged 'Thai prices', they would go out of business.

I happen to know that very few are 'raking the money in'.

thats because there are far too many restaurants offering very average fare on chaweng beach road,too many restaurants and not enough hungry customers. its called poor business planning and they shouldnt try and compensate for their mistake by raising the prices.they should improve their menus or change the chef.
Farang restaurant will become increasingly expensive.

If you want Thai prices, you go to the restaurants that Thai people frequent.

i wasn't looking for thai or farang prices, i was expecting to be charged the price that was on the menu that i ordered from. i know that farang restaurants are pricier than thai restaurants,i have no problem with that.

Thirdly, as much as you would like to be considered, 'one of the community' you are not Thai and never will be.

Accept that there are going to be downsides. The upside is that you get a much better standard of living than you would get with the same funds in the UK/Europe/USA.

Still you complain over a few baht. It's a little sad.

i am not complaining about a few baht, i'm complaining about being cheated.
If this is so important and upsetting for you, I suggest that you review your priorities.

it is very important to know the shops,restaurants,doctors,etc that will treat me fairly in what will soon be my new home town. my priorities dont need reviewing.

but perhaps my furure neighbours do.

a mighty pox on you valentinoxxx for posting such utter nonsense. :o