Sleeper Train BKK - Nong Khai - buy ticket just before departure?

joepub

Can anyone please advise the chances of being able to get a sleeper ticket (Train no 69) on Friday 7 March just before departure. I arrive at BKK just in time to get to the station. The online booking is no longer possible. Is there a website that shows availability?

Are trains usually sold out? I understand that its a risk but is it a complete waste of time to try?

Thanks

Joe

I don't think that it would be a complete waste of time to try, but you might not get the class or type of berth that you want, especially if you wish to sleep down (lower berth) and in a first class coach: those are sometimes already sold out several days in advance.

Edited by GuyL
  • Like 1

A few things.

#69 departs at 8pm, so assume you land about 6pm?? The slightly slower Rapid #133 also departs at 8:45pm so that gives you a back up. Being a Friday you can almost guarantee that all sleeper berths will be booked out - would you really want a seater on the train compared to a VIP bus?

If you are late coming out of immigration is is probably better to head to Bang Sue and try there. That way if you can't get on either train you don't have far to go to Mo Chit Bus Terminal seeing that you appear to want to leave the same night. Being Friday evening, traffic will be bad at that time but you can taxi almost the complete journey on the expressway to either station. It could take anywhere between 30-50mins given that the last section for either station will be heavy traffic

However, personally I'd take the ARL to Makkasan and then the MRT (to either Hualumphong or Bang Sue depending on your pref) as I know the journey could be done by metro in about 40mins max. But of course it would depend on 1) baggage, 2) familiarity with the metro.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

• Like 1

On Friday a sleeper from Bangkok to Nong Khai?

Consider it impossible, most are sold out before (first class), or taken one or two days before (second class).

You might try to reserve in advance, which you can do at any railway station, go to travel agencies, maybe through the internet.

That said, you should know that a certain number of beds will not be bookable in the reservation system, and can only be booked from around two hours before departure.

Do remember that on Friday the traffic stream is departing from Bangkok, and on Sunday evening and less on Monday morning departing TO Bangkok .

• Like 1

How about Air Asia?

It's a one hour flight to Ubon as opposed to the 12/14 hour train trip. Note: the last two times I took the overnight train it took at least 14 hours. The schedule says 12 hours but that's just because they don't wanna change the schedule to reflect what it really is. IMO

You would have to take the short bus trip on up to Nong Khai. Cost some more baht this way - plane & bus - but for the time you don't have to be travelling I say it's worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses and ideas. Very helpful. I have emailed the travel agency - for THB300 they offer to bring the ticket to the station. That would suit me best as i will be struggling for time. I don't really fancy a bus all that way.

On Friday a sleeper from Bangkok to Nong Khai?

Consider it impossible, most are sold out before (first class), or taken one or two days before (second class).

You might try to reserve in advance, which you can do at any railway station, go to travel agencies, maybe through the internet.

That said, you should know that a certain number of beds will not be bookable in the reservation system, and can only be booked from around two hours before departure.

Do remember that on Friday the traffic stream is departing from Bangkok, and on Sunday evening and less on Monday morning departing TO Bangkok .

Hansnl - re That said, you should know that a certain number of beds will not be bookable in the reservation system, and can only be booked from around two hours before departure.

Does this not make it likely that there should be availability just before departure?

How about Air Asia?

It's a one hour flight to Ubon as opposed to the 12/14 hour train trip. Note: the last two times I took the overnight train it took at least 14 hours. The schedule says 12 hours but that's just because they don't wanna change the schedule to reflect what it really is. IMO

You would have to take the short bus trip on up to Nong Khai. Cost some more baht this way - plane & bus - but for the time you don't have to be travelling I say it's worth it.

Seconded. For only about 3,000+ baht round trip (usually), this is FAR more preferable option.

One of the other 'cheap' airlines has a Friday afternoon flight to Udon but I don't think you will be able to connect in time. How often do Air Asia fly to Udon?

2-3 times a day. They seem to flip-flop on their schedule, sometimes cutting out the midday flight. But there's always a morning and evening flight, in both directions.

Thanks again - actually I am headed to Vientienne. I land at 6pm (hand luggage only) and was hoping to make the 8pm train - perhaps better to look at 8:45pm. That's too late for Udon flights. I guess I could go the next day - the train seems to solve the hotel problem!

Although there is a daily Bangkok-Vientiane bus that leaves from Mo Chit at 6pm, in your case since you're arriving at Suvarnabhumi at that time, why don't you catch the daily Suvarnabhumi-Nong Khai bus? I believe it departs at 9pm daily and costs 495 Baht. That is by far the easiest and quickest option. Trains in Thailand suck ass...not to mention how slow they are, but the fact you have to book in advance is a definite deal breaker. Forget the train and catch the Suvarnabhumi-Nong khai bus. You'll save yourself tons of stress and a lot of time and money.

• Like 1

How about Air Asia?

Agreed....another reason are the foul-smelling, dirty toilets on the overnighter

How about Air Asia?

Agreed....another reason are the foul-smelling, dirty toilets on the overnighter

Definitely...either bus only or a flight/bus combination is the way to go I think. Also I think you meant the flight to Udon Thani rather than Ubon, which would be more useful if the OP were heading to Pakse.

How about Air Asia?

Get a grip, they are not that bad. You do realise the ticket costs less than $30 and you get a bed. What exactly do you want for that price?

• 1 year later...