Tuberculosis certificate - UK settlement visa.

Tuberculosis UK settlement visa.

Does Heathrow immigration expect to see an unexpired TB certificate?

I am asking because my wife had her TB test in January 2014 and was issued with a certificate. This in turn will be submitted with the visa application. We intend to ask for a valid from date to be xx August 2014.

However as our planned arrival date to the UK will be in August 2014 the TB certificate will have expired as it is only valid for 6 months.

Could this be an issue?

Thank you

The above is incorrect.

The certificate needs to be valid when the settlement visa application is submitted; but if it expires afterwards, even before the visa is issued, it doesn't matter.

You do know that you can only post date an application by a maximum of three months? So if you want the visa to start in August, she can't submit the application until May.

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware of the post date maximum of 3 months.

1 August 2014 is the intended UK arrival date. As you stated I have to send in the application to VFS on 1 May 2014.

It is the unknown processing times of these visas.

In theory an application could take e.g. 1, 2 or even 3 months. This timescale is not in the applicants hands.

I was going to try to 'play safe' by applying on 2 April 2014 with a covering note requesting the visa be post dated to commence on 1 July 2014.

That will then ensure that the ability to travel to the UK will cover the period from 1 July 2014 up-to and including 30 September 2014.

I hope my 'play safe' timings are viable?

Indeed.

As you seem to be aware, the visa will be valid for 33 months, but she only has to have lived in the UK for 30 months to be time qualified for the next stage.

So she could apply now, ask for the visa to start in three months time (e.g. 19th May) and she would then have until 3 months after that (e.g. 19th August) to first enter the UK and still be able to meet the 30 months residence in the UK requirement for the next stage.

BTW, requests to post date visas can be missed.

As well as putting the date in the proposed date of travel box on the form, ask again in the additional information box and also in your sponsor's letter.

Then check immediately the visa is received; if they do get it wrong, the longer you leave it before telling them, the more difficult it will be to rectify..

• Like 1

Sent an email to

UK Visas and Immigration, Home Office.

British Embassy, 14 Wireless Road, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

But the reply came from

International Organisation for Migration

Bangrak

Bangkok

The reply

Subject: Does Heathrow immigration expect to see an unexpired TB certificate?

Thank you for your e-mail dated 19 February.

A TB test certificate is valid for 6 months. If your wifes test certificate is expired, she will need to apply a new one. The UK immigration is expecting to see a valid TB certificate when travelling to the UK. More information can be found from IOM contact number and address below:-

Yes I thought so too. It seems more logical that the certificate should be valid when you travel as well as when you make the visa application. The only thing I can say is if you fly into Heathrow you and your wife can use the Immigration Line for British passports. This is what I did last year with my wife and they never asked to see the TB certificate (albeit that we had a valid one). All I think they look at is the visa stamp in the passport. If that is ok then she's in.

This is really just another example of how ridiculous this immigration system for spouses/fiancées has become. My grandmother died of TB at the age of 35 so I don't dismiss the seriousness of it, but why are we so concerned about TB when there are a number of equally, if not more serious contagious diseases around, which can also be tested for. If it is such a problem then why do we potential allow every citizen of Bulgaria and Romania into the UK without a test?