Thai poll says caretaker government can’t pay farmers

webfact

Poll says caretaker government can’t pay farmers

BgkB1cKCUAA8Y4b-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- NIDA Poll said today that the caretaker government won’t be able to pay the 130 billion baht debt owed to rice farmers within this month.

It said the poll was conducted between Feb 17 and 18 from a total of 1,253 people of all education levels and occupations on the government’s ability to make overdue rice payments.

On the question of whether they have confidence that the government is capable of making the 130 billion baht rice payments in February, 47.81% said the government could not pay, while 16.76% said the government might pay farmers less than 50%.

The poll said 16.28% said they were confident the government would be able to make the overdue payments and 14.84% said at least half of the total amount owed would be paid. A further 4.31% were unsure.

Asked on what question they wanted to press for answer from the caretaker government, 27.89% said they wanted to know the whereabouts of money made from selling rice under the state subsidy scheme.

But 21.17% asked why the caretaker government has no money to pay rice farmers and 19.40% wanted to know exactly when the 130 billion baht rice payments would be made.

10.53% said they had no questions on the issue because they were confident in the government’s management of the rice scheme, 9.03% wanted to know whether the government would continue the rice scheme if it won another term in office, and 7.04% made no comment.

Other questions they wanted to ask included why the government isn’t doing more to sell rice, why is the rice scheme failing and is there any corruption in the scheme. If the scheme is proven to be corrupt, people asked who is to blame, how the government would be held responsible for its failures and how it could resolve the problems.

(photo : @Wiphusa )

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-says-caretaker-government-cant-pay-farmers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-19

The poll should have been taken with PTP members, using qualititive and quantitive research. Well, come on, even the mention of those words would have made them all shit themselves.

What the heck do the public know about the coffers, and where they've gone........... this is what the whole thing is about - transparency.

How much did that poll cost? I want my tax back giggle.gif

Of course, there is no way the government can pay the rice farmer since EC rejected the loan facilities. The government has been paying rice farmers through BACC. The EC should allowed payment arrangements for rice that were pledged before parliament dissolves. Election should allow people to decide openly they want the scheme to continue or not.

Send from my Mobile

• Like 2

Of course, there is no way the government can pay the rice farmer since EC rejected the loan facilities. The government has been paying rice farmers through BACC. The EC should allowed payment arrangements for rice that were pledged before parliament dissolves. Election should allow people to decide openly they want the scheme to continue or not.

Send from my Mobile

Even with the government somehow finding money to get the BAAC to pay farmers at a rate of 5 billion a day it will take a bit more days than we have left in February to spent the 130 billion they want to borrow. Mind you, probably Sutheps' evil influence that this year February has only 28 days.

As for loans, well, the caretaker government cannot accept financial obligations which a next government would have to honor. Pity that the Yingluck government spent 700 billion Baht on rice price pledging but forgot to reserve some to pay farmers. Of course none of this is their fault and the inclusion of the first two Yingluck years in the blanket amnesty bill was just an honest mistake. She didn't really need it rolleyes.gif

The Thai people are learning fast. At this rate the PTP will have to change their name again. xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Yes, 2557 years to learn this....and to think a guy once formed a party called "Thai Rak Thai"...the mind boggles!

Yes Thai Rak Thai .... "Thai Love Thai"....... Now named Thai Rak Dubai ....cheesy.gif ..... I bet his trying to sell sand to the Arabs now ..... whistling.gif

Edited by noikrit

Well many of those who participate on TV, would have told Taksin that the chances of a 'long distance' relationship being successful were slim and none. If not for his seemly unlimited bankroll he probably would have been forced to hide where the lack of of modern technology would have really crimped his style.

Well he can file this as another of those learning experiences that life sends our way, so man up to failure or take the way some of the rice farmers he shafted have seen as their avenue of escape.

• Like 1

Ah, where would we be without the NIDA polls? Who pays for these? The Nation?

Who cares,... the so called academics claim you need a Masters or doctor's degree in order to research and find out that the Pheu Thai can't pay the farmers cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I can get Masters or Doctors degree at Khaosan Road for 500 Baht cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yingluck already said that the protesters are the reason why the government can't pay the money.

I bet she will continue to keep her statement

Most people in Bangkok and the screwed farmers know that it is a lie but there are so many reds still believe in Yingluck.

Some of the people in the north have no clue why Suthep wants to kick out Yingluck.

It is unbelievable that how people are brainwashed and controlled by the media.

I guess Thaksin did an incredible job to the people in the north but it is time for them to realize the true color of the Shinawatra clan.

I feel sorry for the farmers but they are standing up and trying to make the change. I hope Suthep or whatever the new government might be will support the farmers and take care of the crisis. Before the Thaksin administration, no one really tried to take care of the farmers. The new government should not make the same mistake again.

sked on what question they wanted to press for answer from the caretaker government, 27.89% said they wanted to know the whereabouts of money made from selling rice under the state subsidy scheme.

Why the hell isn't that figure 100% ?

because 72.11% did not say they wanted to know.

Who are you try to sheet? The world know, the majority, the redshirts the farmers know that EC blocked the

caretaker goverment to give out bonds to finance the rice scheme. -This decision is aganst the law who stipulate that going projekcts and costs can be financed of a caretaking goverment (what can yiu expect from a biased juridical system?).

-After that have sutephas block the goverments loan from banks and so on. -Thailand have a stable economic situation (Moodys february).

I wonder what the majority is going to do......1 miljon farmers who dont get payed....A majority who lost there elected goverment,

blocked elections, a minority who throwing granades and shooting in the streets of Bangkok.....

I know......I have read history....GOOD LUCK! I think you need it!

Stating the obvious is one of my dislikes of polls, Taksin had the opportunity tp pay farmers in Oct NOV when the first crops were submitted, they did not pay up, if they could not do it when were in power, there is no way they even want to pay this debt. The shins are devious bastards and its becoming clear they realize the game is up so they are just deliberately causing as much damage and disruption as possible before walking away, hopefully justice will be applied much more robustly this time round and the whole Shin clan are targeted.

• Like 1

Yingluck already said that the protesters are the reason why the government can't pay the money.

I bet she will continue to keep her statement

Most people in Bangkok and the screwed farmers know that it is a lie but there are so many reds still believe in Yingluck.

Some of the people in the north have no clue why Suthep wants to kick out Yingluck.

It is unbelievable that how people are brainwashed and controlled by the media.

I guess Thaksin did an incredible job to the people in the north but it is time for them to realize the true color of the Shinawatra clan.

I feel sorry for the farmers but they are standing up and trying to make the change. I hope Suthep or whatever the new government might be will support the farmers and take care of the crisis. Before the Thaksin administration, no one really tried to take care of the farmers. The new government should not make the same mistake again.

"The new government should not make the same mistake again"

They already have,big time!