Dvd Recorders

crabstix

Has anyone tried the RCR or any other Thai brand dvd recorders?

I saw them selling for 6000-7000 baht in Big C. I know they don't have hard discs built in but I only have a budget of 10,000 baht. I just want to know if the picture quality is any good and if the machines are reliable. Also, once recorded, will they play on standard dvd players? One other thing I am interested is if it is possible to use dvd conversion software to convert them to vcd so that they can be played on a normal vcd player.

If I had more money I would buy one with a hard disc but I have waited for 2 years for prices to drop but they have not dropped significantly enough for me to be able to afford one. It seems they are increasing in memory capacity all the time rather than dropping in price (well not low enough to be affordable anyway!) The cheapest hard disc player I could find was the LG RH7521W which had reduced from 22,900 baht to 13,990 baht. Ithas a 80 GB hard drive. I tried to find the review on the net but couldn't. Seems that most people are interested in buying pioneer.

After having bought a samsung dlp 61" with dvd home theathre several months ago I decided to buy a dvd recorder, I was happy with my tv set and decided to stay with the brand. Bought a dvd recorder without hard disk for 9,900 baht, its easy to program, you can select the quality of your recordings from high ( about 1 hour recording) to lower ( up to 8 hours on one disk)

I always use the 6 hours setting, gives me a good quality picture and can put 3 movies in one disk.

Can use all kind of dvd's. There is a port for digital camera as well. Would recommend this one.

rono

After having bought a samsung dlp 61" with dvd home theathre several months ago I decided to buy a dvd recorder, I was happy with my tv set and decided to stay with the brand. Bought a dvd recorder without hard disk for 9,900 baht, its easy to program, you can select the quality of your recordings from high ( about 1 hour recording) to lower ( up to 8 hours on one disk)

I always use the 6 hours setting, gives me a good quality picture and can put 3 movies in one disk.

Can use all kind of dvd's. There is a port for digital camera as well. Would recommend this one.

rono

Thanks. That's really useful. Shame Samsung isn't a Japanese brand. It has to be Japanese to work right? :o

rono

Can you set the timer to record channels from ubc? Can you use RW discs?

Guest endure

I've got a Panasonic - unfortunately it's made in Germany :o

Is it any good? hard disk type?

I have a Panasonic E55 which is excellent. It doesn't have a hard disk but uses the DVD-RAM format. I also have a DVD rewriter in my PC which is DVD-RAM compatible so I can record programmes on the Panny and edit them on my PC without hassle.

Got to admit that I can't stomach all the different formats. I made about 20 copies of home movies on dvd - r's from US on my last trip back in Feb. Unfortunately for me I did not finalize these discs so they do not work and all that work is for not. I had bought the Chinese emerson vcr to dvd recorder at Walmart on my vacation and returned it for a full refund after my mass record session. I really wanted those home flicks on dvd but by the time I get back to the states I am sure these dvd -r discs will be obsolete so I'll have to toss em all

I have the Pioneer DVR 720 H which has a 160Gb disk.

Marvellous machine.

As easy to programme as a vcr and writes DVD compatible with ordinary machines.

I love the skip faciility for hopping over the ads.

Also very easy to edit out the ads before writing to DVD.

Yes you can set the timer, you can even set many different times.

You can set it to start recording 1 at 5.00 am and to stop at 7.00 am, recording 2 at another time and so on. You can of course also record manually.

The problem with ubc and satelite is that you can only record the channel corresponding with the decoder, if you want to record cinemax you have to set you ubc recorder on cinemax, you cannot program different channels becuase this decoder.

You can use any disk, have used the cheap dvd-r (13 baht), have used the dvd-ram, most dvd types can be used.

Samsung and LG are Korean but have become big in quantity and quality and are equal to the Japanese brands, I would never again buy a Chinese made one electronic device, pure sh.t.

rono

Rono,

I am using a tuner card and a DVD rewriter in my PC to record off of UBC.

I am intrigued that you record on the six hour setting. My recordings are usually NBA or NFL and especially with NBa it seems that anything longer than two hours/disc gives a lousy result.

Probably has to do with the fast motion of the players on the screen since static pictures are OK even on lower quality setting.

Have you had any experience with recording sport?

To the OP, since price is an issue, have you given any thought to a PC based system?

I paid around 1.000B for a tuner card, a DVD Re-Writer is around 3.000+ and you allready have the Harddisk :o

That leaves the software needed, I am running Beyond TV, a trial can be downloaded from the web.

//t

Edited by touch

Rono,

I am using a tuner card and a DVD rewriter in my PC to record off of UBC.

I am intrigued that you record on the six hour setting. My recordings are usually NBA or NFL and especially with NBa it seems that anything longer than two hours/disc gives a lousy result.

Probably has to do with the fast motion of the players on the screen since static pictures are OK even on lower quality setting.

Have you had any experience with recording sport?

Dont know if you can record direct on your hard disk or not and than burn a dvd. I dont record sport but mostly action movies such as war and westerns and dont have problems with my 6 hours settings, can even set 8 hours or 4 movies but this would lower the quality I guess. With six hours recording time there is no difference between my recording and the picture from the tv set.

I also have the option to let my dvd set the total recoding time but didn't try this one.

The problem with ubc and satelite is that you can only record the channel corresponding with the decoder, if you want to record cinemax you have to set you ubc recorder on cinemax, you cannot program different channels becuase this decoder.

I asked UBC about this over a year ago.

"We will look into it", was the answer.

Where I live now, outside Thailand, my satellite decoder has timing facilities as well

so recording from multiple channels over an evening is a cinch.

I see that DSTV in South Africa is offering combined Decoder/DVR boxes to their subscribers.

Time for UBC to wake up to a marketing opportunity.

Edited by astral

Where I live now, outside Thailand, my satellite decoder has timing facilities as well

so recording from multiple channels over an evening is a cinch.

I see that DSTV in South Africa is offering combined Decoder/DVR boxes to their subscribers.

Time for UBC to wake up to a marketing opportunity.

UBC having a monopoly doesn't need to wake up, why should they..unless they are loosing too much more subscribers to the satelite vendors. However, most locals prefer UBC becuase the thai subtitles..so satelites are mostly bought by aliens. :o

To the OP

Check out Soken DVD recorder at Power Mall in the Emprorium, Central,etc.

Soken makes a great player (plays everything!!) and just came out with a dvd recorder this year I think. I recall the price was about 10,000 baht.