Ed-Visa extension to Married extension !

Hey all.

I am on Ed-Visa extension and on 31 May 2014 i be on it for 3 years, i be told from the start i was only able to use it for a max of 3 years extension. The last 2 time my Immigration office told me to remember it be finish May (not the date is on it 31 May)

I going to Married on 7 April this year, and was hoping i can change to Married without leaving the country.

But of cause, If i need to leave to get it, it be okay after all..

I contact Chaengwattana Immigration (Bangkok), and Nonthaburi Immigration, as i live in Nonthaburi, but for now i use Bangkok, because my school is in Bangkok. I try call Immigration hotline all so.

I be told can do it.

I be told can´t do it.

I be told they not sure, have to wait and see.

So anyone know what it is the correct answer ?

Or do i need to wait and see at the beginning of May ?

If have to leave the country, where it is easy, best to go ?

Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

Kindly.

You can change the reason for the extension of stay from education to one based upon marriage. You could do the change 45 days before your current extension runs out. I suggest you get a letter stating that you are no longer enrolled.dated for the date you go for the extension.

You will need to do your extension at Nonthaburi immigration. You should ask them what their requirements are for the extension based upon marriage.

You have to be careful when asking about it not to say changing visas because you cannot change non immigrant visa classes. You can only change the reason for your extension of stay.

If you did have to go out for a non-o visa Vientiane would be the best location.

• Like 1

We recently employed a new expat staff member. He has just completed a master's degree at a Thai university and was on annual extensions to an ED visa so he needed to convert to an extension based on employment.

In our case it was also difficult to get a clear answer as to whether it could be done. We also use Nonthaburi immigration for other expat staff but coincidently had been considering switching to the One Stop Service Centre. The head of Immigration at Chamchuri sq. told me that they couldn't do it because they strictly follow regulations but she thought that another Immigration office might. We use a lawyer for dealing with Immigration/Labour and he said that he could get it done for 15-20K. Read into that what you will.

In the event, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle so would just send the guy to HCMC to get a single Non-B and start fresh. However even that wasn't so simple. Firstly he had to have his Ed extension cancelled which required a letter from his university. That in itself was problematic because the university and Immigration office that issued the Ed extension is in a far flung province and apparently only they could do the cancellation. Our lawyer/fixit-guy though could get it done more locally (for a fee, of course). Then bizarrely, even though he was leaving for HCMC the same day, he needed an extension from that day to the same day. I've seen the stamps in his passport and we have an official receipt for THB1900 for the few hours extension.

Sorry I can't add any clarity to your situation and perhaps converting from Ed to Non O is easier for some reason. I suspect though that Ubonjoe's suggestion of Vientiane might be the easiest. HCMC are very strict about paperwork but we had other reasons for choosing there.

We recently employed a new expat staff member. He has just completed a master's degree at a Thai university and was on annual extensions to an ED visa so he needed to convert to an extension based on employment.

In our case it was also difficult to get a clear answer as to whether it could be done. We also use Nonthaburi immigration for other expat staff but coincidently had been considering switching to the One Stop Service Centre. The head of Immigration at Chamchuri sq. told me that they couldn't do it because they strictly follow regulations but she thought that another Immigration office might. We use a lawyer for dealing with Immigration/Labour and he said that he could get it done for 15-20K. Read into that what you will.

In the event, I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle so would just send the guy to HCMC to get a single Non-B and start fresh. However even that wasn't so simple. Firstly he had to have his Ed extension cancelled which required a letter from his university. That in itself was problematic because the university and Immigration office that issued the Ed extension is in a far flung province and apparently only they could do the cancellation. Our lawyer/fixit-guy though could get it done more locally (for a fee, of course). Then bizarrely, even though he was leaving for HCMC the same day, he needed an extension from that day to the same day. I've seen the stamps in his passport and we have an official receipt for THB1900 for the few hours extension.

Sorry I can't add any clarity to your situation and perhaps converting from Ed to Non O is easier for some reason. I suspect though that Ubonjoe's suggestion of Vientiane might be the easiest. HCMC are very strict about paperwork but we had other reasons for choosing there.

Their is a huge difference in the two cases.

You also mentioned changing from a non-ed to a non-b which is not possible. You cannot change non immigrant visa classes.

You certainly chose the wrong consulate to get the non-b. The extension he had ended when he left the country.

Did he have a work permit approval letter? Most work permit offices will not accept a work permit application with a ED visa or an extension for education.

The OP should not have any problem changing the reason for his extension of stay to one based upon marriage.

You also mentioned changing from a non-ed to a non-b which is not possible. You cannot change non immigrant visa classes.

Not quite sure what you mean by "change non immigrant visa classes". Why is changing from ED to extension based on employment different to extension based on marriage? Aren't they all different classes? Not saying you're wrong - just don't understand.

You certainly chose the wrong consulate to get the non-b

It's true that HCMC are very strict. However it is a quiet consulate and our office staff in BKK could liaise with them by phone and email getting their approval of our documentation in advance. In the event he said it took a few minutes to submit the application and a few minutes to collect the next day. I'm not sure if that prior approval would be possible at Vientiane or not.

Another factor is that there are multiple flights between BKK & SGN including low cost carriers. Direct BKK-VTE-BKK is quite expensive and flying to Udon then overland wastes too much time unless you treat it like a holiday.

The extension he had ended when he left the country.

He had a multiple re-entry with his Ed extension so I don't think it would have ended. Can a new Visa be issued while a valid re-entry is in effect?

Did he have a work permit approval letter? Most work permit offices will not accept a work permit application with a ED visa or an extension for education.

Yes he did. Now that you mention it, I think that was the main problem preventing the OSSC from doing a conversion. Anyway, Nonthaburi Labour office did issue the approval letter while he was on the Ed extension.

I successfully transitioned my extension of stay from ED to married a couple of years ago. I had all the documentation needed for the new extension plus the seasoned money in the bank. From what I recall the only thing extra needed was a letter from the school saying that I was done with my studies. This letter is needed in order to close my ED-extension file.

I did my extension at the CW Immigration, just me and the wife, no third-party got involved.

Not quite sure what you mean by "change non immigrant visa classes". Why is changing from ED to extension based on employment different to extension based on marriage? Aren't they all different classes? Not saying you're wrong - just don't understand.

It's true that HCMC are very strict. However it is a quiet consulate and our office staff in BKK could liaise with them by phone and email getting their approval of our documentation in advance. In the event he said it took a few minutes to submit the application and a few minutes to collect the next day. I'm not sure if that prior approval would be possible at Vientiane or not.

Another factor is that there are multiple flights between BKK & SGN including low cost carriers. Direct BKK-VTE-BKK is quite expensive and flying to Udon then overland wastes too much time unless you treat it like a holiday.

He had a multiple re-entry with his Ed extension so I don't think it would have ended. Can a new Visa be issued while a valid re-entry is in effect?

Yes he did. Now that you mention it, I think that was the main problem preventing the OSSC from doing a conversion. Anyway, Nonthaburi Labour office did issue the approval letter while he was on the Ed extension.

You wrote changing non-ed visa to non-o visa that can't be done..That is not the same as changing the reason for an extension.

A re-entry permit for an extension is not the same as having a valid visa.

Changing the reason for an extension is not a conversion, What is OSSC only immigration does extensions of stay.

Had to remove some of the quotes from your post. Was above the max number.

Thanks for the answer Ubonjoe..

My school will give me my letter say i finish on what every day i want it to be, so that no problem at all.

I only thinking of the date to put on it, as i plan to go to immigration start May as i read can be done 30 days before.

So i am not sure if the letter have to say the date i go there, or for the "real" finish date 31 May ?

If to many problems, i think i go to Laos like Ubonjoe write, as it is my understanding that when i cross the boarder there my ED-extension get cancel then. ?

And then i have to apply for 90 days Non O on Married, if i understand it correct, and change that to 1 year Extension when back in Thailand ?

Thanks again for to all try to help with my Extension to stay..

You wrote changing non-ed visa to non-o visa that can't be done..That is not the same as changing the reason for an extension.

A re-entry permit for an extension is not the same as having a valid visa.

Changing the reason for an extension is not a conversion, What is OSSC only immigration does extensions of stay.

Had to remove some of the quotes from your post. Was above the max number.

This is what I wrote:

"He has just completed a master's degree at a Thai university and was on annual extensions to an ED visa so he needed to convert to an extension based on employment.

Where did I write "changing non-ed visa to non-o visa"?

OSSC is the common abbreviation for "One Stop Service Centre". More info here: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/boi.html

Thanks for the answer Ubonjoe..

My school will give me my letter say i finish on what every day i want it to be, so that no problem at all.

I only thinking of the date to put on it, as i plan to go to immigration start May as i read can be done 30 days before.

So i am not sure if the letter have to say the date i go there, or for the "real" finish date 31 May ?

If to many problems, i think i go to Laos like Ubonjoe write, as it is my understanding that when i cross the boarder there my ED-extension get cancel then. ?

And then i have to apply for 90 days Non O on Married, if i understand it correct, and change that to 1 year Extension when back in Thailand ?

Thanks again for to all try to help with my Extension to stay..

You will not have a problem getting the extension. Check with the immigration office to see what documents are needed by them.

You could get the letter dated equal to current extension but it would be best if it was for the day you plan on going to immigration.

If you have a non-o visa entry you don't change any thing. You just apply for an extension of stay during the last 30 or (45 days at many offices now) of the 90 day permit tot stay you get from the visa,.

• Like 1

This is where you wrote it.

The OSSC might be common to you but I don't ever recall seeing it used instead of One Stop Center.

• 3 months later...

A update.

Today (Again) i go Nonthaburi Immigration office and got my 30 days under consideration for Married Extension.

We was there last week all so, but they NEED more paper work then what say on internet, forums and so on.

We have to fill out 2 A4 about how long i being in Thailand, when we meet, about my money, what about support wife, If Money stop from where i get money now and so on.

Landlord have to fill out 3 A4 about him self and us, where he live, how old he is and so on, if he can say yes to wife an i live together and a lot more.

Pictures the want some extra. Total they want 10 pictures.

Of us next to TV, Freezer, sofa, our wardrobe´s, front door, outside condo tower, one whit wife family, one in wedding clothing, one from a trip together a old one, as we inform them we be together some years now.

Total 10 pictures (and copy)

I use income letter from my Embassy, BUT Nonthaburi Immigration want bankbook all so, to check if i transfer 40.000 baht pr month or more. Income letter alone is not enough they told me.

No witnesses to bring to Immigration, no check in our home later on, to see if we live here.

But after 2 trips to Nonthaburi Immigration, i hope next trip there give me the 1 year Married Extension (11 month more).

Kindly.