If you had your time again would you come to Thailand ?

Scubapro27

I'm certainly not in the loadsa money bracket, just comfortable

I would rent in Thailand, I would not buy. I am not naïve and have spent enough time over there not to fall for the honey trap tricks. In fact I find them quite amusing

That's quite reasonable, then why not just do the move, what do you risk? You can always move back or elsewhere.

Your monthly income is sufficient for a proper life here. But you should calculate inflation into your budget. You may have another 45 years to live on your income/assets, therefore you have to keep your capital and even increase it. Do some serious research on managing your finances!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had a choice where money was not a concern, I would not live in LOS.

Where would you go then, I've read a lot of good things about Costa Rica

Don't know really. As I said, if no money probs for me, I would hang out in the Florida Keys for sure. thumbsup.gif

With or without your Thai family ?

before or after a hurricane?

My question to you guys is if you had your time again would you still move to Thailand ?

it's going to be 10 years since i live in Thailand. i regret that i didn't move to Thailand 15 years earlier.

10 years earlier ... WOW ... just think what your post count would have been then ... biggrin.png

My question to you guys is if you had your time again would you still move to Thailand ?

it's going to be 10 years since i live in Thailand. i regret that i didn't move to Thailand 15 years earlier.

10 years earlier ... WOW ... just think what your post count would have been then ... biggrin.png

15 years earlier! wai2.gif

^^ If you don't have money, living everywhere is hard.^^

If you have a little money, Thailand is great and many much younger girls will have sex with you.

England is one of the crappiest countries in the world, I should know because I lived there 50 years, come on out the weather's fine. Rian, rain and more bloody cold rain.

PS

Wouldn't worry about diving, you're getting a bit old for that.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

I would rent in Thailand, I would not buy. I am not naïve and have spent enough time over there not to fall for the honey trap tricks. In fact I find them quite amusing

That's quite reasonable, then why not just do the move, what do you risk? You can always move back or elsewhere.

Your monthly income is sufficient for a proper life here. But you should calculate inflation into your budget. You may have another 45 years to live on your income/assets, therefore you have to keep your capital and even increase it. Do some serious research on managing your finances!

Sound financial advice, thanks

My income is linked to property rental which will naturally increase with inflation anyway. Capital is growing as property value increases as well.

You've got 130k to live on a month? Jeez, I could live for a year on that if I didn't drink, fornicate, or buy ladies drinks. Otherwise, 3 months. Sometimes 2 months depending on the fornication and whether I go back to the monastery and renew my vows of abstinence. Anyway, unlike previous posters, I'm glad I bought a house (two actually), but my situation is different in that both are in my daughter's name. So no rent, only usual household bills - about 2,200 a month on average. I spend about 6k a month on food, and eat very well, thank you, but I do a bit of cooking at home and have fairly simple tastes. And a fairly simple (and pleasant) life. Except at night. When the "oh, dear!" factor kicks in. Anyway, hope this little bit of info adds to your great store of worldly knowledge.

Cheers,

Wit.

If I had to redo I would not live in Thailand, and definitely not Costa Rica. Been there about 15 years ago, and I doubt it has improved regarding safety.

When you walk in the Capital from the busstation to your hotel at 7pm, and the hotel staff ask if you're tired of living, then I guess I made it clear.

Myu country of choice would be Portugal, but since it joined the EU you need to have good finances.

I've always thought that Thailand was a great place to live if you had money. If not, most would be better off back home.

After being here just under 6 months, I can state for sure, I need the beaches and sanity of the florida beaches.....

I didnt think that way 6 months ago, but then, Comet Ison was supposed to bring a tsunami-!

I like many have some more learning to do, about the country, and loveed Chaing Mai, but still, the jury is out for me

My income is linked to property rental which will naturally increase with inflation anyway. Capital is growing as property value increases as well.

What it will cost depends greatly on how and where you want to live.

If you drink smoke and want to live in a big city or tourist place it will cost you more , if you need a condo or good house you have to pay for them, if you are prepared to live in a small town then you can get by with very little.

Where and what you eat is another factor, if you want western food in an air con restaurant you pay for it.

Don't go jumping in and buying a car or pickup, there are very few places you cant get to by public transport, keep in mind that Thailand has just been given the destinction of being the second most dangerous country to drive in, and no motorbikes 78% of road deaths last year involved them, the year before 72%, you come here to live not to die.

Before someone says what about all the bus accidents, less than 1% of road deaths last year involved buses or other heavy vehicles. That doesn't include the crashmaster vans.

And keep diving, I was still diving at 55.

What it will cost depends greatly on how and where you want to live.

If you drink smoke and want to live in a big city or tourist place it will cost you more , if you need a condo or good house you have to pay for them, if you are prepared to live in a small town then you can get by with very little.

Where and what you eat is another factor, if you want western food in an air con restaurant you pay for it.

Don't go jumping in and buying a car or pickup, there are very few places you cant get to by public transport, keep in mind that Thailand has just been given the destinction of being the second most dangerous country to drive in, and no motorbikes 78% of road deaths last year involved them, the year before 72%, you come here to live not to die.

Before someone says what about all the bus accidents, less than 1% of road deaths last year involved buses or other heavy vehicles. That doesn't include the crashmaster vans.

And keep diving, I was still diving at 55.

I am 1000% sure, I will not drive a vehicle, or own one, in Thailand,

Not needed, cabs are cheaper here than anywhere I have ever seen in the world,

MRT quick and easy, to most malls, and eateries in the city, BTS for the rest.,

Skytrain from the Airport, a no brainer as long as you have less than 2 bags

but please, do not take a motor bike, they should be banned

Edited by Scarpolo

Don't know really. As I said, if no money probs for me, I would hang out in the Florida Keys for sure. thumbsup.gif

My Thai wife came along when I moved to LOS. If I now came into money I would try and convince her to move to the Keys. whistling.gif

Only her.....good for u....hope u come into money quickly...

The problem with this is that once a Thai wife comes along the chances of money coming along later dwindle dramatically.

My Thai wife came along when I moved to LOS. If I now came into money I would try and convince her to move to the Keys. whistling.gif

Only her.....good for u....hope u come into money quickly...

The problem with this is that once a Thai wife comes along the chances of money coming along later dwindle dramatically.

If I had to redo I would not live in Thailand, and definitely not Costa Rica. Been there about 15 years ago, and I doubt it has improved regarding safety.

When you walk in the Capital from the busstation to your hotel at 7pm, and the hotel staff ask if you're tired of living, then I guess I made it clear.

Myu country of choice would be Portugal, but since it joined the EU you need to have good finances.

Put money aside and the Greek islands look nice to me.

Put money aside and the Greek islands look nice to me.

I've never been to Greece but I have lived and traveled for years in Portugal before it joined the EU, and it must be the nicest people I've ever met in life. Also many speak English, which is another positive advantage.