Succesfull visa trip to Vientiane

Hello,

First my situation I am dutch with the following tourist visa's

Triple entry from antwerp

Double entry from Vientiane

Double entry from Savankhet

The visa's mentioned above are all back to back

I left koh phangan on the 18th of feb on the boat I realise I forgot 1 bag with my thai bank book and passfoto's. So I thought that will cause problems. Arrived that evening at the lao border the foto's were no problem.

Yesterday when I applied for my double entry tourist visa the lady asked what I was doing in Thailand I replied just staying and hangout with friends. Sge the asked for the book of my thai bank account I said I forgot she replied the next time you have to show me.

Today I picked up my new double entry TV they wrote next to it the 3rd but no red stamp yet.

Rgds baco

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

You probably will not have a problem next time. Be sure you take your bank book that shows some transfers from abroad next time.

-----------------------

I'm sorry but I disagree that the next time he/she will not have q problem.

They made note that he/she has 3 previous visas.

If he/she goes back there for the next visa that note will be there for all to see.

The next one nay not be so pleasant ..... he/she is close to the limit with the next visa.'.

That is precisely why that note is there for all to see.

The worst that can happen is only getting a single entry instead of a 2 entry visa. They don't turn people away with no visa being issued.

I suspect that little note is put on the visa sticker of anybody that has more than one visa from them.

The worst that can happen is only getting a single entry instead of a 2 entry visa. They don't turn people away with no visa being issued.

I suspect that little note is put on the visa sticker of anybody that has more than one visa from them.

Well, it's not exactly the same case, but one of my friends was denied a visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane about 2 years ago, after having previously been granted 3 double-entry tourist visas back to back at the same embassy (consular section). The staff only suggested that he might obtain another tourist visa at another consulate or at the consular section of another embassy, but did not issue any visa for him this day (actually, they just refused his application). He had not been notified (and nothing had been written on his previous visas) even once prior to the day of his 4th visa appplication attempt at Vientiane, so, it was a very bad surprise for him then. He just got a 15-day visa exemption at the border on his way back to Thailand. He later was able to get another tourist visa, but he made his application in Europe then.

Edited by GuyL

They asked me for a Thai bank book too, last time I went there. I don't have a Thai bank account, and told them so. He only gave me a single entry, but the lady next to him gave my wife a double-entry visa. Still not sure why they did that, other than because.

Can someone explain to me the logic of needing a Thai bank statement for a tourist visa?

I mean on a tourist visa, you are here as a tourist and in most cases are unable to open a Thai bank account(I know there are exceptions) so why would you need that to obtain a tourist visa? In fact, by having a bank account here it would imply you are not a tourist and I would see that as more of a reason for rejecting the application.

Does there have to be a set amount in it? Why would you home bank account not be enough, surely that's what most legitimate tourists would be using while here.

Can someone explain to me the logic of needing a Thai bank statement for a tourist visa?

I mean on a tourist visa, you are here as a tourist and in most cases are unable to open a Thai bank account(I know there are exceptions) so why would you need that to obtain a tourist visa? In fact, by having a bank account here it would imply you are not a tourist and I would see that as more of a reason for rejecting the application.

Does there have to be a set amount in it? Why would you home bank account not be enough, surely that's what most legitimate tourists would be using while here.

You are so wrong, i opened several accounts here as a tourist before i finally, just didn't bother going home.

It is possible to open account with a tourist visa. There is nothing wrong with having a bank account here as a tourist, Most people have them because of the convenience and lower cost for many people compared to high ATM fees when you use a card from a foreign bank.

The embassy prefers them because they are more familiar with having a bank book instead of a statement..

They will accept statements from a foreign bank if they show ATM withdrawals from here.

It is possible to open account with a tourist visa. There is nothing wrong with having a bank account here as a tourist, Most people have them because of the convenience and lower cost for many people compared to high ATM fees when you use a card from a foreign bank.

The embassy prefers them because they are more familiar with having a bank book instead of a statement..

They will accept statements from a foreign bank if they show ATM withdrawals from here.

I think you may have missed the point(although maybe i have), it wasnt so much about the actual opening of the account, but why the requirement to have one?

First of all you say it is possible to open an account with a tourist visa(some people have, some haven't been able to), but if you need an account to get the Visa how do you open it in the first place?

I am sure the Thai official who implemented this didn't have foreigners bank fees at the forefront of their minds at the time.

I am not sure why the Embassy needs or wants any Thai bank documents for a tourist.

If they accept statements from a foreign bank, what are they actually trying to prove?

My reason for this post is that despite alot of people using the "tourist" visa to stay here a long time(nothing wrong with that in my view), surely the whole point of a "tourist" visa from immigration's point of view is that it is a short term visa for a tourist who will leave at its expiry........so why do they need a Thai bank account?

They accept the fact that there are a lot of people are staying here long term on tourist visas. The only thing that don't want is people working here illegally on tourist visas..That is why they ask for proof of funds coming into the country from abroad.

They ask for a bank book because that is what they know best because banks here don't do statements for savings accounts.. But they will accept a bank statement.

They accept the fact that there are a lot of people are staying here long term on tourist visas. The only thing that don't want is people working here illegally on tourist visas..That is why they ask for proof of funds coming into the country from abroad.

They ask for a bank book because that is what they know best because banks here don't do statements for savings accounts.. But they will accept a bank statement.

What is this: "banks here don't do statements for savings accounts"

I don't get any for the 3 I have. You can ask and pay to have one printed out or print one out from online banking.

IN other places in the world they mail them to you.

I don't get any for the 3 I have. You can ask and pay to have one printed out or print one out from online banking.

IN other places in the world they mail them to you.

Some other places maybe, not my bank in my homecountry, only online. So that's why I was stunned, I thought You mean online statement is not available.

To clarify my experience mentioned above: I never showed my bank info in any way. He asked for my Thai bank account info. I said I didn't have a Thai bank account, and that was that. Neither of us had ever been asked for banking info on any previous run.

He asked, I said nope, we moved on. I figured it was to see if I had banking and was working here or something. I'm not, and have no need for a Thai bank account.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I just found this great and recent post about getting a Visa in Vientiane.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697613-double-entry-visa-success-in-vientiane-laos-jan-2014-update/

My fault, I have my non imm B Visa connected to my work permit expired. Now I am in Thailand as a tourist. I will try to apply for a new non imm B visa in Vientiane, but I have only 5 months left of work permit validity. I guess it is not a common situation but maybe someone went through it.

If I cannot make it I will go for a tourist Visa (please do not explain to me the situation and the difference with a non imm B visa and what a WP requires. I already know).

PS as most farangs know, there is no rule about the bank account - I went to 4 banks before finding one accepting my request with no work permit - at the time I had none - and it is not a policy, just the branch director mood!

Edited by primapagina

I just found this great and recent post about getting a Visa in Vientiane.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697613-double-entry-visa-success-in-vientiane-laos-jan-2014-update/

My fault, I have my non imm B Visa connected to my work permit expired. Now I am in Thailand as a tourist. I will try to apply for a new non imm B visa in Vientiane, but I have only 5 months left of work permit validity. I guess it is not a common situation but maybe someone went through it.

If I cannot make it I will go for a tourist Visa (please do not explain to me the situation and the difference with a non imm B visa and what a WP requires. I already know).

PS as most farangs know, there is no rule about the bank account - I went to 4 banks before finding one accepting my request with no work permit - at the time I had none - and it is not a policy, just the branch director mood!

You will only get a single entry B visa in Vientiane so the work permit validity will not matter. You will need all the other documents listed here: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

Ok Got a question I'm 62 retired staying in Philippines thinking of getting retirement visa in Thailand. Is it possible to get 90 day non O visa in Vientiane So I can get retirement visa. I called Thai embasy in Manila they said I had to go to the states to do Don't want to fly there then fly back to Thailand.

Ok Got a question I'm 62 retired staying in Philippines thinking of getting retirement visa in Thailand. Is it possible to get 90 day non O visa in Vientiane So I can get retirement visa. I called Thai embasy in Manila they said I had to go to the states to do Don't want to fly there then fly back to Thailand.

Call the embassy again and ask about single entry non immigrant O visa for being 50 or over. When you asked about a retirement visa they thought you were asking about a OA visa which you can only get in your home country,

You can do a conversion at immigration here form a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry if you can show you meet the financial requirements for an extension based upon retirement. That would be 800K baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65K baht income or a combination of the two totaling 800K baht,

Then after about 60 days you can apply for the extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht would then need to be in the bank for 60 days.

-------------------------

That may have been because you referred to the visa as a "retirement" visa.

To many people in a Thai consulate the term "retirement visa" means a O-A visa which is available only in your home country.

It requires a doctors certificate and a local police record check in your home country to get a O-A visa .

Those can only be obtained in your home country.

If you meant a non immigrant O visa (no A on that) which could gave been obtained outside of your home country ... then they misunderstood what you asked for.

A non immigrant type O visa can be obtained outside your home country, and you can enter Thailand on that visa; and then extend it annually based on meeting the retirement requirements in Thailand at your local immigration in Thailand.

I'm on my 4th year annual extension on one of those coming up in October 2014.

A "retirement visa" (type O-A) is a different thing than the non O visa I originally got and extended.in Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The OP was given good advise in the Philippines. Retirement "visas" cannot be obtained except in ones own country where an O/A visa for the purpose of long stay (not "retirement" ) can be secured if certain conditions are met.

Similarly there are no retirement "visas" to be had in Thailand although an extension of stay may be granted if conditions are met.