Immigration office or border run?

I've read this FAQ and other posts and articles here and elsewhere, but am still not entirely clear about this. If there's a FAQ I missed, please point me to it.

I have a 30 day tourist visa expiring March 3rd. I'd like to stay in Thailand until March 17th. Do I need to do a border run, or can I renew at the immigration office? I'm a U.S. citizen in Chiang Mai. My 30 day visa is stamped in my passport; on this trip I came to Thailand from Malaysia. I was also in Thailand in October/November, with a 60 day tourist visa I got in Chicago.

Edited by fellig

You came in/(and have) a 30 day exemption.

Immigration - can get (1) 7 day extension for 1900B

Border run - get 30 days

Best for you to do a border run.

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused because I've seen posts here that say you can get 30 day renewals at the immigration office...but maybe that's renewing a different visa than I have?

Edited by fellig

Border run - get 30 days

Thanks for the reply. I'm confused because I've seen posts here that say you can get 30 day renewals at the immigration office...but maybe that's renewing a different visa than I have?

30 Day extensions (at Immigration offices) are only for Tourist Visas (which you can get at a Thai Consulate or Embassy), and as you are on a 30 Day Exempt , you only will get 7 days at Immigration

Ps: Removed Incorrect Info

Edited by MJCM

Border run - get 30 days

30 Day extensions (at Immigration offices) are only for Tourist Visas (which you can get at a Thai Consulate or Embassy), and as you are on a 30 Day Exempt , you only will get 7 days at Immigration or 15 days at a Border or 30 Days when you fly out (to a neighboring country) and come back.

OK, that makes sense, thanks.

Border run - get 30 days

30 Day extensions (at Immigration offices) are only for Tourist Visas (which you can get at a Thai Consulate or Embassy), and as you are on a 30 Day Exempt , you only will get 7 days at Immigration

"Tourist Visas (which you can get at a Thai Consulate or Embassy)..." Meaning only outside of Thailand, right?

Border run - get 30 days

"Tourist Visas (which you can get at a Thai Consulate or Embassy)..." Meaning only outside of Thailand, right?

Yes, outside Thailand, like the one you got in Chicago. That 60 day stay could have been extended another 30 days for 1900 Baht.

Border run - get 30 days

Correct.

"Yes, outside Thailand, like the one you got in Chicago. That 60 day stay could have been extended another 30 days for 1900 Baht."

Well I left Thailand a bit before my tourist visa expired, and spent a couple months in other countries. Came back here a few weeks ago and wasn't sure how long I wanted to stay, until now.