Thai Government to tell super powers and UN of political situation

webfact

I agree. It adds credibility to the government as well if they are seen with global leaders, especially if they are able to present the situation in an honest light (unlike Suthep's letter to Obama a while back). Perhaps they are also seeking some sort of assistance, financial or otherwise.

You are very brave putting credibility,government and honest in the same sentence.

LOL

And you are very nice to use the word 'brave'. I could think of less charitable or complimentary adjectives to use.

I believe when this band of clowns shows up in the countries they plan to visit, they will create some awkward situations. I can see them meeting with junior members of each government who will nod politely while trying to understand the Thai delegation's choppy and incorrect English. At the same time, the junior government staff will shift uncomfortably in their chairs wondering why these Thai people are here. To the intelligent, it could only rightly be seen as an expensive attempt to get some undeserved sympathy. The poor junior gov employees will be thinking that with all the problems in Thailand right now why aren't these people in their offices in Thailand trying to do something about it instead of wasting people's time and taxpayers money.

This action will only make the Shinawatra government more of an international joke.

It's been pointed out the OP somehow omitted the fact Surapong will visit the capitals of all five permanent members of the UNSC as well as the UN itself in NYC. Surapong will go nowhere else, to include Tokyo.

Given the UNSC also votes on international sanctions, wild ideations of military actions can be immediately dismissed. (The Thai military would never stand for it, not for one minute.)

And given there's one name on the short list as the successor PM, this trek can very reasonably be viewed as a personal introduction of Surapong to the leaders of the UNSC permanent member states. Which among the leaders of the UNSC P-5 don't know being family in feudal Thailand is the first and foremost qualification to anything?

Surapong can also be expected to advise the UNSC P-5 of the expected consequences of any judicial coup, the greatest concern on the minds of global governments and civil soceity goups at this point. Surapong is as well positioned as anyone in the country to precisely forecast the reaction to any judicial coup.

Surapong ain't Yingluck to look at every day, but it is clear he's number one on the one-name shortlist. (It's also beneath good form culturally to see TVF fahlang singling out someone as being or looking less than human on the basis of his immutable physical characteristics.)

• Like 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

International mature democracies are always ready to listen and offer advice to fledgling democracies in emerging nations.

Good move by the government, show the international community first hand what is going on.

I am sure that after the tour by the legitimate thai government, the international democracies will invite sutheps mob to put their democratic case.

I doubt suthep would do so

Again, Thaksin's cousin to the rescue, this time to put forth a proposal that has every stamp of Thaksin on it - all spin and no details. His remarks pertaining to the Civil Court ruling are key, because they emphasize the seriousness of Chalerm's attempt to put pressure on the court to alter their ruling to allow the use of force. Chalerm's request on the heels of the Civil Court's ruling - through national television - reminding them of the " favours " he's done for them ( whatever that means ) - is completely improper, could be easily viewed as intimidation - and should be viewed by the court as such. For Surapong's information, that is what bullying is.

" Nevertheless, he said the prime minister would not run away from Bangkok but would shift from place to place to work which would not be a big problem as she could still keep in touch with her ministers through tele-conferences or smartphones. "

She could also be like Superman, and transform herself in telephone booths.

You say "every stamp of Thaksin on it - all spin and no details". That's completely wrong. Thaksin's policies were full of detail, and many of the details were put into practice. The period of Thaksin government, 2001-2006, was perhaps the best in the history of Thailand in terms of empowering ordinary Thais.

That's unfortunate for conservatives to admit, but the figures speak for themselves.

Can't see this trip happening....and Surapong is hardly the person to do so in the event a trip was to be permitted....relatives of the master mind of much of Thailands problems are well exposed now and, in my view, not acceptable diplomats of Thailand.

nah, he wants to get away a little and still look important.

International mature democracies are always ready to listen and offer advice to fledgling democracies in emerging nations.

Good move by the government, show the international community first hand what is going on.

I am sure that after the tour by the legitimate thai government, the international democracies will invite sutheps mob to put their democratic case.

I doubt suthep would do so

What naieve tripe. The UN and 5 permanent security council members will know exactly what's going on here. They will be well aware of Thaksin's role, the governments behavior and that of its opponents.

They will have different views, based on their own agendas, not what is good for Thailand or promoting democracy. Or do you consider Russia and China mature democracies?

Thaksin's cousin will have a nice trip, on the tax payers, and achieve zilch.

I agree. It adds credibility to the government as well if they are seen with global leaders, especially if they are able to present the situation in an honest light (unlike Suthep's letter to Obama a while back). Perhaps they are also seeking some sort of assistance, financial or otherwise.

You are very brave putting credibility,government and honest in the same sentence.

LOL

And you are very nice to use the word 'brave'. I could think of less charitable or complimentary adjectives to use.

I believe when this band of clowns shows up in the countries they plan to visit, they will create some awkward situations. I can see them meeting with junior members of each government who will nod politely while trying to understand the Thai delegation's choppy and incorrect English. At the same time, the junior government staff will shift uncomfortably in their chairs wondering why these Thai people are here. To the intelligent, it could only rightly be seen as an expensive attempt to get some undeserved sympathy. The poor junior gov employees will be thinking that with all the problems in Thailand right now why aren't these people in their offices in Thailand trying to do something about it instead of wasting people's time and taxpayers money.

This action will only make the Shinawatra government more of an international joke.

It's been pointed out the OP somehow omitted the fact Surapong will visit the capitals of all five permanent members of the UNSC as well as the UN itself in NYC. Surapong will go nowhere else, to include Tokyo.

Given the UNSC also votes on international sanctions, wild ideations of military actions can be immediately dismissed. (The Thai military would never stand for it, not for one minute.)

And given there's one name on the short list as the successor PM, this trek can very reasonably be viewed as a personal introduction of Surapong to the leaders of the UNSC permanent member states. Which among the leaders of the UNSC P-5 don't know being family in feudal Thailand is the first and foremost qualification to anything?

Surapong can also be expected to advise the UNSC P-5 of the expected consequences of any judicial coup, the greatest concern on the minds of global governments and civil soceity goups at this point. Surapong is as well positioned as anyone in the country to precisely forecast the reaction to any judicial coup.

Surapong ain't Yingluck to look at every day, but it is clear he's number one on the one-name shortlist. (It's also beneath good form culturally to see TVF fahlang singling out someone as being or looking less than human on the basis of his immutable physical characteristics.)

I do agree that it is appalling that people insult Surapong, or any other person for that matter, on the basis of their physical appearance. Really juvenile playground stuff, and not acceptable there either.

However, his main claim to fame is being the big boss's most trusted toady and do as he's told man. If that is the criteria for replace the puppet then he's number 1 for sure.

A judicial removal of the caretaker government or significant individuals within it, should they be found guilty of corruption or other criminal activities, is not a judicial coup. If they are proven to have broken the law they must be punished accordingly. Corruption, if guilty, cannot be shrugged off and spun as "politically motivated" any more than telling lies can be considered ethical or ok if they make the people feel happy.

Should this scenario play out as you indicate, then the UN and Security council will have to declare the red shirts a terrorist organization and be outlawed as part of the war on terrorism. If Surapong is trying to condition against this, by pleading all the courts are biased against PTP then he's on a rocker.

As always with PTP this is something else that is not very well thought through.

All they are doing is creating the excuse for the top people to do a runner. Thailand has used up its visit 'credits' with other nations, they wont be intetested in granting audiences so soon with Yingluck or her minions. The embassies send intel reports weekly if not daily at times like this. The respective Foriegn offices in the countries on the Mekons visit list will be aware of everything happening here.

I'm sure the foreign Govs will find a junior clerk from the civil service to spend a few minutes noting the issue, I suspect very few leaders will go anywhere near this and there will be no photographs as no-one want to be aligned to a Gov on the edge of meltdown with allegations of corruption, neglect and impeachment in the air for the sister of the real power, the fugitive in Dubai.,