Have you been the subject of death wishes?

James2020

OK, cards on table - I don't get the big Thai/Farang marriage thing. I'm cynical.

However, do you honestly believe that many care home staff at home, only mostly behind your back, don't wish you dead? I suspect that's big locker-room chat. I suspect it ranges from totally humorous to fairly deadly serious. I suspect that very often the speaker won't be very gracious or caring in your company, often won't be physically attractive, will often be quite old and, certainly, won't sleep with you.

Go make your bed, perhaps a rather unsatisfactory one - but be aware of the alternatives!

OK, cards on table - I don't get the big Thai/Farang marriage thing. I'm cynical.

nah you're just realistic (and intelligent) unlike many others on this forum... most problems, frustrations, rants on TV are about thai women, or their family (greedy mother), or the buffalo (greedy mother), etc. why spoiling an easy life in an easy country with superfluous emotional downsides.. tsk tsk tsk...

learn to take care of yourself, enjoy thailand without emotional balast, don't get involved with locals (emotionally) since they are on another level. not saying their level is bad or retarded, DIFFERENT EMOTIONAL LEVEL.

My wife and I are around the similar age.

I have made provisions for her with my pensions and savings if I go before her, my kids get the property and everything else in equal shares once we both go. Done my duty, don`t really care what anyone says, and I can go with peace of mind.

I can understand if a man chooses a wife young enough to be his daughter that finance, status and security will be her main concerns and quite frankly being in that situation would not suit me. Old guys who decide to marry much younger women should expect these sorts of attitudes.

There is always the option of short time, no strings attached, pay as you go, no demands and no commitments. This is the good part about living in Thailand, as even us older guys can be hansum man if and when it`s convenient for us and as for my present wife, I can be a husband and not a walking bank account.

In some cases the marriage to a younger woman may be chosen by the Thai family. Many Farang in Thailand have known Thai families for many years and have been in business with them for many years. The Chinese are not the only ethnic minority who has moved to Thailand seeking business partners. Many Americans set Thai families up in business during the Vietnam war and the wife was part of the deal the same as one would expect from a Chinese/Thai relationship. There is a reason they wrote the Treaty of Amity. It's the same reason as giving an old man a younger wife and the family will enforce fidelity as the treaty enforces partial equality.

Edited by thailiketoo

well, i have known quite a few thai people for many years... they are friends (the thai-farang concept of friend that is). over the years nearly all of them asked me why i don't buy a house. when i tell them i can't buy here (house/land) they propose me to give them money and they will buy it (as i have no gf/wife) and i can live there and don't pay rent. the fact that the house will be theirs then in case i die or vanish is well-included ;-) they propose this without any complexes, no big deal, no shame. i always smile and say i'm not interested to buy in thailand since i can rent utter cheap here. again, no big deal, "up to you" they say. my point is - the bashers will say these vicious people are trying to cheat on me - IMO these folks are simply blatant (= undisguised, open) about obtaining a house with my money and since i don't have kids it's perfectly ok that they can keep it if ever i die (i won't need it anyway, right?). i'm cool with that mentality. it's uncomplicated, in your face... and in their dreams, haha!

• Like 1

I can understand if a man chooses a wife young enough to be his daughter that finance, status and security will be her main concerns and quite frankly being in that situation would not suit me. Old guys who decide to marry much younger women should expect these sorts of attitudes

I cant believe marrying a geezer if you are a young woman (of any kind) begets status................lol. Thais know it, i know it , why doesnt the geezer know it------show the girl the money!

if your wife lets these friends talk about it it may mean she isnt opposed to you dieng..............25 years age difference. Come on now!

add to that (most often) 25 IQ points in difference (!!) too...

who has the higher iq? lol.

even in amerika. young girl marry geezers only if they are billionaires or so. i just dont see 25 old girl marrying 50 old men in usa that often.

if your wife lets these friends talk about it it may mean she isnt opposed to you dieng..............25 years age difference. Come on now!

add to that (most often) 25 IQ points in difference (!!) too...

who has the higher iq? lol.

even in amerika. young girl marry geezers only if they are billionaires or so. i just dont see 25 old girl marrying 50 old men in usa that often.

I don't care what your point of view is. I would defend your right to say it. But when you spell America, (amerika) that is adolescent and I feel uncomfortable talking about marriage with a teen age boy. If you want to call men old enough to be the President of America, geezer. OK. But again it is adolescent. If you don't know how to use the caps button it is above the shift key on the left of most keyboards.

Age is as a general rule is respected more in Asia so when you read forums that are about Asian countries you may encounter more older men with younger women. Calling men geezer is impolite btw.

Thanks for all the comments. For us, the marriage works just fine, in spite of the differences in age, education, culture, religion, race - actually just about everything. We're both much happier than when we were married to someone like ourselves. We'll see what the next 10 years bring, but the first 10 have been great.

"I suppose that some people in the US think that also, but would never say it."

I seriously doubt that anyone in the US -- or any Western/developed country for that matter -- would think that.

You MUST be joking.

Women marry men for money power and fame every five minutes over there. They just (sometimes) try to hide their motives a bit better.

And when someone is murdered (not counting random street crime), most of the time it turns out to be a spouse or other family member trying to get their inheritance quicker.

Don't you even read the papers?

What a silly thing to say.

People are people, pretty much the same everywhere, and most aren't saints.

Thais are just more up-front about the truth of their motivations, if you're fat you're fat, if you're old you're old, and the lives of older people are of course worth a lot less even to themselves.

• Like 1

If Thais are so honest, so witheringly honest, or is it realistic, as portrayed here, if I search out an older lady, perhaps a little overweight, hopefully with a bad relationship history, not to mention, of course, a couple of kids, and no job prospects, can I expect her family to pay me to marry her?

Before anybody laughs, reverse bride price is not at all unknown in China when a lady is over 30, never mind with any of the other impediments I mentioned.

PS: What's the best pickup to buy? Cost immaterial - her family's paying.

I can't believe anyone is saying one race or nationality is more or less honest than another.

The people you meet wherever you meet them are selected by you and your choices.

If you find the group of people you meet here much different from those you meet back home, that's more to do with your different lifestyle and choices than it is to do with some inherent difference in the larger group they belong to.

If you were a wealthy person associating in a naive way with lawyers and stockbrokers back home you'd find yourself swimming with the sharks. Being a newbie tourist here in Pattaya and Patong, same same.

Lots of people do it for a living in the west, and make far less than the SOs of many posters here.

Going rate back home for a nurse's aide is $13 per hour, some have as many as 12 patients per worker and few benefits.

Certainly much nicer work than out in the rice fields.

Lots of people do it for a living in the west, and make far less than the SOs of many posters here.

Going rate back home for a nurse's aide is $13 per hour, some have as many as 12 patients per worker and few benefits.

Nurses rates???????????cheesy.gif A little off track,again.

Nurses rates???????????cheesy.gif A little off track,again.

Why?