Can I buy emergency medical insurance in Thailand for my holiday?

dude123

Best purchased from back home. The insurance company in Thailand might get the idea you're only doing this in country because you know there is treatment coming up.

No problem getting it at home, but doubtful in any emergency for any Thai hospital to accept Canadian insurance. On top of that, all our insurance companies here barr none are all crooks of the highest level. Not an honest one to be had amongst them.

Edited by dude123

Best purchased from back home. The insurance company in Thailand might get the idea you're only doing this in country because you know there is treatment coming up.

No problem getting it at home, but doubtful in any emergency for any Thai hospital to accept Canadian insurance. On top of that, all our insurance companies here barr none are all crooks of the highest level. Not an honest one to be had amongst them.

Canadian insurance would definitely be accepted BUT normally, except in emergencies you pay the hospital or other provider (such as a clinic or private doctor) first and then you claim later. It's actually similar with many locally issued policies. Talk to your Canadian insurer to see what's covered and what's not. My Australian provider works perfectly well in Thailand and Thai hospitals will accept a statement of guarantee to pay, issued by your insurance provider rather than you paying them first and then claiming later in most cases where the bill is larger. For a smaller 1000 Baht bill you're better off paying first and claiming later lest you don't mind spending an hour on the phone and waiting around for hours before you are free to go.

Also, most insurers want you to book your insurance BEFORE leaving home. Only a small number allow you to purchase insurance once you're already overseas. It would also be very suspicious if you only booked your insurance AFTER being admitted to hospital and then try to make a claim. In such a case, your claim would most likely be rejected. So don't do it. Get your insurance before leaving home; you could even book it online while you're at the airport if you've forgotten to take care of it earlier.

Also, most insurers want you to book your insurance BEFORE leaving home. Only a small number allow you to purchase insurance once you're already overseas. It would also be very suspicious if you only booked your insurance AFTER being admitted to hospital and then try to make a claim. In such a case, your claim would most likely be rejected. So don't do it. Get your insurance before leaving home; you could even book it online while you're at the airport if you've forgotten to take care of it earlier.

Good point. I was hoping I could book it with a Thai company before departing from Canada.

Canadian insurance would definitely be accepted BUT normally, except in emergencies you pay the hospital or other provider (such as a clinic or private doctor) first and then you claim later. It's actually similar with many locally issued policies. Talk to your Canadian insurer to see what's covered and what's not. My Australian provider works perfectly well in Thailand and Thai hospitals will accept a statement of guarantee to pay, issued by your insurance provider rather than you paying them first and then claiming later in most cases where the bill is larger. For a smaller 1000 Baht bill you're better off paying first and claiming later lest you don't mind spending an hour on the phone and waiting around for hours before you are free to go.

Never heard of the "statement of Guarantee to pay", will have to look into that one, thanks. I only want the insurance incase of of a medical emergency such as a car accident as I'm in perfect health. The insurance company recommended in this thread won't send me the "fine print" of the policy, so I have to look elsewhere I guess.

Edited by dude123

Royal Bank of Canada is what we have, you can call them or drop into any branch.

The one and only time I've had to use it was in the US and they were fantastic, not a penny out of pocket and even covered the TV set in the room & parking fees unlike home.

Buy before you leave.

Royal Bank of Canada is what we have, you can call them or drop into any branch.

The one and only time I've had to use it was in the US and they were fantastic, not a penny out of pocket and even covered the TV set in the room & parking fees unlike home.

Buy before you leave.

Only needed emergency help once in my life in the 90's on a US trip and was covered under the Royal Bank Travel Protector insurance. Their answer to everything and everyone was to hang up the phone. Pulled all my accounts from the royal bank the day after I got back.

Edited by dude123