Thai Toyota denies tax evasion allegation

webfact

Thai Toyota Denies Tax Evasion Allegation
By Khaosod English

13929724951392972754l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Toyota Motors Thailand company has released a statement denying tax evasion claims made by custom authorities.

The Thai authorities have previously claimed Toyota Motor Thailand evaded tax for auto parts imported from Japan, accusing the company of failure to submit full payment of their income taxes.

However, Mr. Wutthikorn Suriyachantananon, the Assistant Managing Director of Toyota Motors, said the shipment of imported auto parts were authorised by the Ministry of Industry, and that the company had strictly followed all legal provisions concerning the customs law, excise law, Revenue Code of Conduct and the International Trade Agreements.

The company also conducted its businesses legally under the Japan-Thailand Economic Partnership Agreement (JTEPA), a free trade agreement between both nations, Mr. Wutthikorn insisted.

Toyota claimed it is currently waiting for the conclusion from the case, after it had submitted the information to the Custom Department since 4 December 2013.

Regarding another allegation, in which Toyota Thailand was accused of evading taxes for imported auto parts from India by trading through a third country account, Mr. Wutthikorn said that the company had already paid extra taxes and fines to relevant authorities.

The Toyota Assistant Managing Director insisted in the statement that Toyota had been operating its businesses "based on transparency and good governance".

The company also offers sincere service for their customers and has been working cooperatively with the government’s policy to promote investments and exports, the statement claims.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qazNNalE1TlE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-21

I don't believe Toyota would make very many mistakes....they've been here for years...know the strings to pull...know where the plain envelopes have to end up....

On the other hand.....Thai Customs are different .....they have been trying to increase their revenue.....just greed....!

• Like 1

Being in the recruitment industry, in part I can agree with this statement as their are so many companies engaged by Toyota to manufacture parts for them here, which interestingly enough don't receive a mention in the report. It is these parts that Toyota don't need to pay taxes on or simply avoid as they wisely and from a fiscal point of view use a second and third party. Wow I just posted without a political point of view and one based on experience and fact. Can I like my own post said laughing ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I have heard from directors of foreign owned companies that I know that the Customs Bureau has been on the rampage for the past several months (year) .... like the others I am aware of, Toyota probably paid in full the taxes that were levied at the time .... the business community is well aware of this ... and it's making Thailand a very expensive place to operate. I'm surprised they're going after Toyota ... someone must be very greedy and perhaps also very stupid.

I am sure Toyota will be vindicated if they are innocent of the allegation, otherwise they will have to pay up. However, your comment "I'm surprised they're going after Toyota ... someone must be very greedy and perhaps also very stupid." needs an explanation. Please provide it so that I and others will know what you are getting at. Surely, you are not suggesting Toyota are above the law?

• Like 1

I have heard from directors of foreign owned companies that I know that the Customs Bureau has been on the rampage for the past several months (year) .... like the others I am aware of, Toyota probably paid in full the taxes that were levied at the time .... the business community is well aware of this ... and it's making Thailand a very expensive place to operate. I'm surprised they're going after Toyota ... someone must be very greedy and perhaps also very stupid.

I am sure Toyota will be vindicated if they are innocent of the allegation, otherwise they will have to pay up. However, your comment "I'm surprised they're going after Toyota ... someone must be very greedy and perhaps also very stupid." needs an explanation. Please provide it so that I and others will know what you are getting at. Surely, you are not suggesting Toyota are above the law?

they are above making decent cars..without a recall.every year..w00t.gif

• Like 1

I took stupid to mean that it is potentially very costly for Thailand if Toyota decided it doesn't need Customs bs nor Chalerm's witchhunt (see previous link) anymore and takes its tens of thousands of jobs elsewhere (actually I couldn't find just how many they employ here, but I would venture my estimate isn't exaggerated, but would welcome any accurate links).

By its stature as the premiere auto industry presence here, it could be in jeopardy just because of some greedy customs chumps or a drunken excuse for the CMPO boss.

I have heard that a ex PM, Shin family member has a prominate position in the Excise tax cartel. This would have nothing to do with the proceedings and recent accusations thrown about, we will be assured, shortly

Yet more unsubstantiated drivel........................

Got anything in support or did the maid tell you ?

The Chairman of Toyota Thailand, also Chairman of the Japanese Chamber of Commerce, and a member of the Anti Corruption Commission had his house machine-gunned last week. Now this!

What sort of message is this saying to the foriegn companies that are Thailand's economy?

Basically, good night and bye-bye, coz the gov. want it to be the new Myanmar or Zimbawe.

Pity the farmers are not educated enough to realize this.

Pity the fact that the politicians know less.

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 2

and Toyota big boss from Japan went to Australia recently. Resulting in factory closed. Same big boss in Thailand recently. Talk of moving to Indonesia. Same boss in Indonesia recently saying they will expand there. Free electricity offered. Hmmmm. Nit a good move by Thai customs

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Why do cars made here cost more than cars made in the USA? Easy to blame the respective governments, but who watches out for consumers here. Funny how the JTEPA deal lowers tax on imoprted parts from japan but never gets passed on to consumers here. The real puppetmasters of thai business and to some degree the government and industry here are japanese. Would you like to bet the AEC, Dawai, and the east-west corridor also have some wasabi in them.

I have heard that a ex PM, Shin family member has a prominate position in the Excise tax cartel. This would have nothing to do with the proceedings and recent accusations thrown about, we will be assured, shortly

Yet more unsubstantiated drivel........................

Got anything in support or did the maid tell you ?

Actually, I've heard that here in Thailand, maids can sometimes be surprisingly-major shareholders ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

yes taxes for corrupt politicians, corrupt customs officials, corrupt civil servants, corrupt ..corruption everywhere.....

What amazes me though is that car companies like Toyota - can sell me a Camry for example from parts made in cheap labor countries, assembled in Thailand another cheap labor country and the same car would cost me approx. half the price in the US than what I have to pay here! Same goes for all other cars here of course.

Not even talking about lower standards in chassis and safety and the extras which are included in most Western countries - here they are not!

Protectionism and corruption and the absence of real competition is costing the Thai people dearly!!!

And to Toyota - a "sincere service" to your customers would be to sell your cars at prices according to prices sold in Europe and the US - countries with much higher average income than Thailand - and not at these rip-off prices they are sold here!

certainly politically motivated

I am sure if Toyota were to fire Pramon the problem would go away...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704786-shots-fired-at-the-home-of-graft-buster-pramon

These companies have been using excessive transfer pricing for decades. They could not operate without putting customs in their pocket.

I have little or no doubt that technically, duties have been avoided because to pay them would be excessively detrimental to the bottom line.

Do Thais and Farangs pay tax, well of course we get fleeced at the airport on arrival ???????? hmmmmmm Who pays and better yet where is it spent???

One look at the state of the roads and buildings and footpaths tells it all!

How do you get fleeced at the airport

certainly politically motivated

I am sure if Toyota were to fire Pramon the problem would go away...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704786-shots-fired-at-the-home-of-graft-buster-pramon

These companies have been using excessive transfer pricing for decades. They could not operate without putting customs in their pocket.

I have little or no doubt that technically, duties have been avoided because to pay them would be excessively detrimental to the bottom line.

Although you may be correct about transfer pricing .... I believe that the transfer pricing issue and customs issue are two different unrelated issues in this particular case.