Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

His next trip should be to The Hague. He has a valid case.

I hope so. At least he'll be out of Thailand and he can make the Netherlands his new home.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ever heard of free speech?

Yes of course, and if you're trying to apply the same rules concerning 'free speech' that exist in the UK and other western nations, then you are trying to compare apples with pears..

This is Thailand, not the UK nor Kansas (Dorothy). Thailand makes rules for its citizens and for foreigners who reside here. If you decide not to follow those rules, then you must accept the consequences.

Sehgal must have realised that he was treading on thin ice by being actively in anti-government demonstrations. As an aside, speaking on a political platfform AND claiming 'loyalty' to a higher power (as he has done), is a very dangerous path to tread.

Nevertheless, I do feel sorry for the position that he finds himself - it could all have been avoided if he had kept out of the demonstrations and got on with his life as a 'foreigner' in Thailand.

Simon

Everyone seems to forget that Sehgal was warned about making public statements in Suthep's protest meetings and that he could face deportation. But he continued anyways. If he has broken immigration laws, he has done so knowingly, and shouldn't surprised by the consequences. But I'm sure Suthep has assured him that no matter where in the world Sehgal may move to live, he can continue to help finance the Democrat party through direct deposits.

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

What visa does he have? ED?

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

Edit: I note that the original article says he has a residency permit ==> PR

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

There are other indigenous "minority" groups in Thailand who have lived here for generations ... some longer that the Thai-Chinese clans who run the country ... who are denied "citizenship".

It is pretty clear that it is you who hasn't got the faintest.

I know about a half dozen people of European descent who have naturalised as Thai citizens. Had dinner with one the other night. Another bloke at the dinner table was in the final stages of getting his application in. Had coffee with another last Thursday who is preparing his paperwork Nothing special about them, apart from meeting the basic residency and income requirements. Another half dozen, purely of anglo descent who were born in Thailand and by virtue of being born prior to 1971, have Thai nationality.

My wife is at the final step of the naturalisation process (blond haired, blue eyed) and if it wasn't for this government shut down, she'd be having her papers signed shortly. We had the immigration committee meeting interview at the ministry of interior just last November, just before these troubles started.

Check out the immigration forum, a few farangs every year get natualised,in addition to a few dozen (mainly) indian and chinese.

The laws in terms of ethnic minorites have been significantly liberalised, espcially in 2010 as I recall. The 2010 version of the law allows anyone born on Thai soil between 1971 and 1992 claim citizenship so long as they've shown a continous link to Thailand. Prior to 1971 it was automatic.

. "Yes" you are correct in stating that only a very few Farangs are naturalised each year, that in itself should tell anyone how easy it is.

When did your wife First apply for Thai citizenship ?,as I recall you told us over 3 yrs ago,that she had already been in the system for a number of years, and if my memory is correct she did leave Thailand for a short period of time, however even taking this into account it can still be a long process.

you are correct in stating that only a very few Farangs are naturalised each year, that in itself should tell anyone how easy it is.

I understand from previous postings that only a few 'farang' are naturalised each year because only a few apply......

• Like 1

Basically in every country if one is not a citizen one does (or should) not get involved with the local politics, especially to be identified as a "protest leader" on a stage. I have seen some of the tourist even carrying the whistles and other protest garb around (including one of my friends) since they think it is very cute or other nonsense reasons. With bombs/granades going off in protest centers, best to avoid even going near any of them, especially with the police now trying to take them over. Ask for trouble, and you will problem be successful in finding it.

Be smart, keen the nose out of Thai politics, as Thais should take care of it themselves. He should have known better, especially being here for so many years, so shame on him and bon voyage.

PS: How a foreigner (non-citizen) can even think about suing the gov't over his deportation is beyond me.

His next trip should be to The Hague. He has a valid case.

Go ahead.

Thailand do not need Farang to mess with her domestic affair.

So why the hell are the Thai government now approaching UN and major countries to inform of the political situation?

The government can see where this is all going and now want sympathy from the world.

Quickly deport this guy who opposses Democratic Elections and also his immediate family ie sisters brotthers, nephews etc for supporting him and also confisticate all his businesses ie the Dressed Salad Restaurants, Indus Restaurant, Lookeast etc and also his properties at Silom Condomuniuma and Oriental Towers and sell them and give the proceeds to the Election Commisiion to use it to run the next elections as he and the group he represented disrupted the first elections and also the Indian government and also Indians in Indai should be warned about him and his family view on democracy and thinking that they are elite Indians. Good riddnace to garbage!

Exactly if he considered himself Thai and his home for so long - he quite easily could of gotten thai citizenship. Then he could act like a clown like the rest of them without repercussions.

The Hague??? cheesy.gif

So what are your repurcussions for acting like a clown....your red Shirt confiscated ???

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

What visa does he have? ED?

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

Edit: I note that the original article says he has a residency permit ==> PR

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

There are other indigenous "minority" groups in Thailand who have lived here for generations ... some longer that the Thai-Chinese clans who run the country ... who are denied "citizenship".

It is pretty clear that it is you who hasn't got the faintest.

I know about a half dozen people of European descent who have naturalised as Thai citizens. Had dinner with one the other night. Another bloke at the dinner table was in the final stages of getting his application in. Had coffee with another last Thursday who is preparing his paperwork Nothing special about them, apart from meeting the basic residency and income requirements. Another half dozen, purely of anglo descent who were born in Thailand and by virtue of being born prior to 1971, have Thai nationality.

My wife is at the final step of the naturalisation process (blond haired, blue eyed) and if it wasn't for this government shut down, she'd be having her papers signed shortly. We had the immigration committee meeting interview at the ministry of interior just last November, just before these troubles started.

Check out the immigration forum, a few farangs every year get natualised,in addition to a few dozen (mainly) indian and chinese.

The laws in terms of ethnic minorites have been significantly liberalised, espcially in 2010 as I recall. The 2010 version of the law allows anyone born on Thai soil between 1971 and 1992 claim citizenship so long as they've shown a continous link to Thailand. Prior to 1971 it was automatic.

. "Yes" you are correct in stating that only a very few Farangs are naturalised each year, that in itself should tell anyone how easy it is.

When did your wife First apply for Thai citizenship ?,as I recall you told us over 3 yrs ago,that she had already been in the system for a number of years, and if my memory is correct she did leave Thailand for a short period of time, however even taking this into account it can still be a long process.

You are conflating a wide range of different issues. Thai nationality law has been liberalised significantly since 1992 and this has assisted many assert their natural claim.

In terms of naturalising farangs, it is a question of not many applying as for most western passport holders there is little benefit in Thai PR or citizenship. Other long termers who want it get it, the main quals being the residency and a reasonable income.

Our case is wholly unremarkable. We stepped out of the process for more than 2 years while overseas. When we restarted the process we were put at the top of the pile. Taking into account our stepping out if the process for a time, it has been three years from application to final interviews. That was entirely predictable based in others experience and special branch are good at keeping you updated, if you ask.

Edited by samran

Quickly deport this guy who opposses Democratic Elections and also his immediate family ie sisters brotthers, nephews etc for supporting him and also confisticate all his businesses ie the Dressed Salad Restaurants, Indus Restaurant, Lookeast etc and also his properties at Silom Condomuniuma and Oriental Towers and sell them and give the proceeds to the Election Commisiion to use it to run the next elections as he and the group he represented disrupted the first elections and also the Indian government and also Indians in Indai should be warned about him and his family view on democracy and thinking that they are elite Indians. Good riddnace to garbage!

I agree that Garbage should be rid of. When is your Flight ??

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know when and how this guy got PR status. If he was a youngster when it was granted then his lack of knowledge of the law is understandable. If he was an adult, then he should be aware of the differences between PR status and citizenship and he should have a grasp of what rights he has.

It is still a little mystifying why he did not apply or get citizenship.

India will not care one iota if he is deported. Most countries are quite happy when one of their citizens gets in trouble and then is sent home, rather than being sent to jail where consular assistance is required.

Not all of us take pleasure in his pain, but the situation with the red shirt rallies was a good object lesson on the consequences of getting involved in foreign politics.

Hopefully, they will not blacklist him.

• Like 1

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

This excellent comment should also be read by those haters of the Shiniwatra's..............

"Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man/woman who exercised his/her right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he/her considers his/her own is giving you such pleasure"

I believe his political involvement is purely fir his business expansion.

YL govt refuse to include TATA in the 100,000 Baht rebate scheme, as TATA Nano was not built domestically

http://www.aseanaffairs.com/thailand_news/trade/thai_auto_program_brings_protests

His business has absolutely nothing to do with TATA. And they dont market the Nano in Thailand.

• Like 1

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

There are thousands of people more deserving of your admiration.

Like who? Chalerm? cheesy.gif

There are thousands of foreigners who have given more to thailand than this bloke.

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

If he considered Thailand his home then he'd become a citizen.

• Like 1

Conclusive proof that Thailand's visa rules are too lax and should include an IQ test prior to be given a visa...whistling.gif

Then tv.com would go out of business. Just kidding, guys ... or at least about most of you.

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

So are you OK with non-citizens in your country protesting and speaking against your government? I'm about as liberal as they come, and I'm not .... and, I have a lot of criticisms with my government.

Find a mirror.

For give me as I live in Singapore and had done for 32 years but travel to Thailand every week, so I must have missed something here. I can be kicked out of Singapore also as a PR.

There is no need to take pleasure in his misfortune.

I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of expelling a man who has lived here for most of his life. Did that last time.

He had ample time to stop speaking against the government but he chose not to. He's created his own misfortune.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about it. The Shinawatra government may be vindinctive but the courts are fair. There's no way they will endorse something like this. He has every right to exercise his right to protest, as long as he did't break the law. I'm pretty sure the courts will tell Chalerm to F off again.

As a non-Thai citizen he has no "right" to protest ... and he has been told that several times.

• Like 1

Find a mirror.

Err, an Aussie guy was imprisoned for 89 day's and then deported for his political speech, what's the difference here? he's not in a Thai jail at the moment is he,

That being said I personally believe people should have the right to freedom of speech, as long as it dose not insight racism, religious hatred, and breach human rights,,,

Find a mirror.

This excellent comment should also be read by those haters of the Shiniwatra's..............

"Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man/woman who exercised his/her right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he/her considers his/her own is giving you such pleasure"

i agree...it is just disgusting.bah.gif

This guy is an absolute idiot with no common sense. The quicker he gets out the better

dont let the door hit you on the way out, sehgal

More friends than you, more money than you, much more power than you and you call him a complete idiot.

Thaksin also has more friends, money and power these little things hardly put you in the class or idiot or not. I think Thaksin is an idiot and so is Sehgal for crossing the line. All foreigners were warned of the consequences if they took part in the demonstrations and only an idiot would ignore that warning.

• Like 2

Utter rubbish! A number of foreigners are given Thai citizenship every year. On this board I can think of members such as Dbren and NewlyMintedThai. I will apply in a couple of years when I meet the visa-extension requirements for my application.

It is you who knows nothing - check the facts about citizenship applictions/requirements

Edit: AFAIK, Sehgal is not a hilltribe ethnic minority - he is an Indian citizen and some of his compatriates apply for and are awarded Thai citizenship each year.

Simon

I have been led to believe that to gain Thai citizenship you have to be able to read and write Thai and be able to answer written questions in Thai about Thai history, geography and culture, even if you were born here (to foreign national parents).

Does that fit your definition of "easy"?

It's definitely "easy" for a man who's lived in Thailand for 50 years and speaks fluent Thai. Makes me wonder why he doesn't apply for citizenship. To call himself a citizen and yet not actually want to be a legal citizen seems an insult to Thailand and it's real "citizens."

Does that fit your definition of "easy"?

Yes!!

You do not have to be fluent in written Thai. You need to be able to read basic Thai and answer some easy questions in Thai about the country in which you want citizenship.

I have been here only 12 years and can read/write good Thai. I am sure that Sehgal is fluent in Thai. It has been his choice not to apply for Thai citizenship and his choice to protest against a democratically-elected government when he must have known the possible consequences of his illegal actions, (yes illegal, because foreigners are not allowed to involve themselves in political demonstrations).

Simon

Note that this guy has not only spoken against the government, he has also led a mob to try and shut down Thai air traffic communications. Face it, he is intoxicated with his new-found celebrity and power, when he needs to shut the *deleted out* up!

BTW, I don't at all like the PM or the present government official in power, but what I like even less is those who want to replace them with a non-elected "council."

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

A non citizen can sue a foreign government if they get deported for breaking the law???

If he really thought he was a Thai and loved the place so much he would have applied for citizenship

Certainly, if the government has broken the law or there are procedural irregularities. They have to have a valid reason for throwing him out and speaking at a political rally or 'we don't like what he said' might not qualify. Just because a politician claims that someone has broken the law does not make it true.

Remarkably, the commission declined to deport him the first time his case was considered, even though it's run by government people. The interior minister was even quoted as saying there wasn't enough evidence.

If the guy has broken the law why is it that the case had to be reviewed a second time and why was the immigration commission decision not unanimous?

The guy is being used as a political football and the government's 'state of emergency' is on pretty shaky ground if the court restrictions on it are any indication.

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 1